Your last generator Maintenance Run

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#5,941  
Generators, batteries, inverters.... been some progress in the last 20 years, so there is a good selection of tech and products available.

I've done a few low-dollar low/capacity builds using Group 31 FLA (standard) truck batteries. One was just to extend the run-time on an old UPS I have, as I found the capacity of the internal battery limiting. I have another Group 31 on a Costco folding handcart, along with a Xantrex 1000 watt inverter. Have used that one camping, and for light household backup.

Much of the time (OK, I'd don't have a 8' flat-screen, or whatever they are up to now :) ), you need very little power to keep personal electronics alive.

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,942  
I ran mine about a half hour today.
6291BB96-5310-4FD5-B5F6-747E08F54B09.jpeg

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,944  
This was actually back in October, I pulled out the PTO generator and ran it on the load bank for a while to keep up the residual magnetism. It’s the backup to a Generac 22KW propane standby, and doesn’t get much use.
IMG_9827.jpg

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,945  
(y)

Wow, what a green lawn ! Are you guys still golfing ?

Rgds, D.
Today was the first day it got above freezing in a few days. If you saw me golf, you wouldn’t ask. The only way I break a 100 on a regular basis is if I quit after the sixtenth hole.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,946  
This was actually back in October, I pulled out the PTO generator and ran it on the load bank for a while to keep up the residual magnetism. It’s the backup to a Generac 22KW propane standby, and doesn’t get much use.
View attachment 771356

Is there a general rule of thumb to how frequently one should run a pto powered generator to maintain the residual magnetism? I guess for any generator?
I switched over to a pto generator several years ago, and since there is no engine to exercise, I haven't run it in maybe two years.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,947  
Not really, there are too many variables, the main one being the mass of the pole pieces. 4 pole designs seem to do better than two pole, but they tend to be beefier all around.
Many of them actually have external terminals to excite the field, making it easy, if you need to do it. Often you can plug a drill in and spin the chuck to bring one to life.
I like to spin it up with the tractor, keeps the gearbox limber as well.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,948  
Not really, there are too many variables, the main one being the mass of the pole pieces. 4 pole designs seem to do better than two pole, but they tend to be beefier all around.
Many of them actually have external terminals to excite the field, making it easy, if you need to do it. Often you can plug a drill in and spin the chuck to bring one to life.
I like to spin it up with the tractor, keeps the gearbox limber as well.

I'll read up on the drill thing. Looking at the manual, it says to "back flash the 120v circuit with 12v". I can come up with 12 volts, but where would I apply the 12 volts?

I really need to run the generator anyway, as it only has a few hours on it and I like to change out new gearbox oil after 5-10 hours.

#5,949  
Today was the first day it got above freezing in a few days. If you saw me golf, you wouldn’t ask. The only way I break a 100 on a regular basis is if I quit after the sixtenth hole.
You are better than I, as I'm definitely not a golfer...... sometimes pass courses here and it seems guys are willing to go out there in a blizzard, and that's Regular Season.

Then there's Snow Golf..... somewhat related to Cabin Fever up here......

Rgds, D.

#5,950  
I'll read up on the drill thing. Looking at the manual, it says to "back flash the 120v circuit with 12v". I can come up with 12 volts, but where would I apply the 12 volts?

I really need to run the generator anyway, as it only has a few hours on it and I like to change out new gearbox oil after 5-10 hours.
Interesting question..... w/o dedicated terminals, I wouldn't want to speculate on somebody else's machine..... we'll see what the brain-trust comes up with....

Rgds, D.