If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing?

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #171  
How does heating oil compare to propane efficiency? Will 400 gallons of heating oil heat the same square footage as 400 gallons of propane? Just curious and have no experience with heating oil. I understand there would be a lot of variables but just looking for a ballpark figure. Consider the propane is used in a forced air furnace that also uses electricity for the blower.

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #172  
Just had a 200 gallon oil drop at $3.71, still locked in rate for a few more months, and then the poor house when the open rate happens.

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #173  
That just happened to me this evening. I have a very large pile of mulberry saw logs piled up (20 feet wide x 30 feet long and about 10 feet high) and it's all promised to someone I know that splits and sells it and he pays me for the wood too. So the people across the road, their son saw it and called me and asked me if he could have some (for free). Told him it was all spoken for. The gall, asking for it for free. Nothing is free, not even the air you breathe. Gonna add to it shortly, I have a large hard maple that is coming down.
Years ago my blocked wood pile was down the road aways from the buildings and along the road. People would steal blocked wood from the pile. I finally moved it 1/8 mile from the road and access is right by the house.

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #174  
The quality aspect is just something I've played around with in my head. I have never cared about the quality of the wood I burn. If it burns clean, its good, and the more the better.
Yet I live in an area that has an EXCESS of wood scraps. A great deal is cut off in dimensional lumber and other building supplies. I don't burn any thing, or take anything that is treated, and nails are not a problem. I take the ashes, and nails to the dump with the rest of dump stuff.
Its basically free heat, aside from the labor of locating it, loading it, unloading it and cutting it down to what the wood stove will handle. Of which I have become very lazy about the stove, as will take 17 inch bits.

The stove I have, is not a very efficient stove. Its a Olympic Avalon, and burns too hot all the time, even with the restrictions all closed, it still burns too fast for an over night stove. It has a fan and an exchange unit. I just chimmy sweeped it, after 15 years, and nothing was there to sweep out. I have cleaned the exchange coil several times, but it has to be a big blaze in this thing to heat up the house. It will take care of the power out situations, even with out the fan.
Being a bit of a nerd, it is far cheaper for me, and less labor to see the free fire wood sign and pay attention.
I'll stock up on any free wood, even bits left on the road. Of us, wood is always free.
I burn more in my burn piles, pulling stuff out of the woods for fire control, then I do finding easier stuff to put in the wood stove.
I worry about nails.

Because if you are in an area that requires heating, chances are you also deal with snow and ice.

And hands down, there is NOTHING better to spread on a gravel driveway than wood ashes when it gets slick.

And at the end of the year....any ashes not used on the driveway are great in the garden.

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #175  
Focusing on heading of thread, In the Up of Michigan electricity is 25+ cents a kilowatt hr. During my build Electric baseboards were the most economical and reliable means of heating the cabin when not there at 40 degrees, vs running a central high efficiency propane furnace. As for cleaning up wood scraps in cabin with money saved with insulation, wood stove, and HVAC system, I got a Roomba with clean base I dislike technology, but really like that robot vacuum, named it "lil buddy" it's on my cabins wifi and when I'm homesick I run it when not there. I keep telling my wife when I'm behind my phone screen on the couch down state, I'm busy vacuuming she dislikes that comment. In my case I'd never recover geothermal nor do I have the experience or expertise to install something like that on my own. I will say I seriously contemplated getting a solar array hooked to the grid however tax credits and Michigan's buyback policy of excess generated solar power seems to be in limbo at various times.

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #176  
My counter argument would be....why is it worth it to burn vs just spend $1000 and buy heat.

You are investing 40hrs of your time to produce $1000 of product to convert it to heat via burning it. But its not worth it to spend the same 40hrs to earn $1000 and simply buy your heat? And if anything, Its LESS work to simply sell the wood. I handle it less, and no mess or chimney cleaning or ash pan cleaning or ever doing anything other than making sure the t-stat is on. If the time you invest to sell $1000 worth of wood is "not worth it", then neither is burning it for heating IMO.

And when I said "worthless smoke", I was trying to level the playing field so to speak. Yes, your $1000 of wood heats your house.....but so does $1000 via another heat source. So at the end of the year, you either spend $1000 and have a warm house, or you burn $1000 and have a warm house and a couple pails of ashes and worthless smoke.
I'm not following your logic.
How is he coming out ahead by cutting, splitting and selling wood only to have to pay for oil/propane/pellets/whatever to heat his house? Unless the firewood market where you live is very different than it is here, he's not likely to get as much for the wood he sells as he'll need to pay for an alternative heat source. Plus the hassle of marketing and (presumably) delivering it. If you only have a pickup truck, it's gonna take several trips to deliver even one cord, let alone several.

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #177  
How does heating oil compare to propane efficiency? Will 400 gallons of heating oil heat the same square footage as 400 gallons of propane? Just curious and have no experience with heating oil. I understand there would be a lot of variables but just looking for a ballpark figure. Consider the propane is used in a forced air furnace that also uses electricity for the blower.
Propane has around 91,000+/- btu per gallon,
#2 fuel oil has 138,600 btu per gallon.
So considerably less heat per gallon of propane.
That said high efficiency propane furnaces are available that are more efficient then the high efficiency oil burners.

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #178  
For those of you happy with your geothermal systems, do you mind sharing the total installation costs?

We got rough quotes in the 30 to $40,000 range when building our home in 2015 (ours would have been horizontal ground loops, exchanged to hydronic in slab), which made it pretty easy to choose the $1300 wood stove instead.
I already shared mine but will do so again.

I have 12k invested in a 4-ton 2-stage unit.
Got back $3600 via 30% fed credit
Another $1000 credit from electric coop
And another $400 from electric coop for new water heater to set up dual tanks, one as buffer.

So my total cost was $7k.

Would have saved $2500 if my house already had some type of forced air, because that's what just the ductwork cost as my house was baseboard heat and wood burner only before geo.

I installed everything myself except the ductwork. I had a backhoe to dig my loop field, but renting an ex for a day to still be a diy would have only been another $500 or so.

Part of the high cost of the system is the HVAC companies gouging people.

As long as there was a 30% credit.....that credit went to the HVAC companies....even though they made you feel good about getting it.

Because the cost of a conventional HVAC system, and the cost of a geo system are the same for all intents and purposes. They both have a furnace, a compressor, blower, and an evaporator. An air-source has a condenser with fan outside. A geo trades that for a pump center with manifolds.

Material cost is the same. But a geo doesn't need a refrigeration license as they are pre charged and no sweating lines to connect an outside and inside unit.

The biggest difference is the outside loop field which does add significant cost of you cannot DIY.

But I got 3 quotes before I did my own. All three quotes for for me doing the loop field and bringing in the house to manifolds. And all the HVAC companies I had quotes from don't even do their own loops. They contract them, so I was simply being the contractor.

My geo quotes came back in the $16k-$18k range. While a comparable 4-ton air source was in the $10k-$12k range.

Since I was doing the loop field, and ductwork inside would the same with either system, and labor IMO would actually be easier for geo on the contractors part since they set and plumb ONE unit in the basement rather than an indoor unit AND and outside unit ....this simply comes down to the only difference being the equipment.

And the cost of an air-source 4 ton furnace + outside compressor and condenser vs a 4-ton geo with pump center.....pennies difference in equipment cost. No where near the $4k-$6k difference I was seeing in my quotes.

So I asked all three contractors why the geo was so much more given that I was doing ALL the outside work and excavation.

All three had the exact same answer......

"Well it really isn't more expensive. Because you will get a 30% rebate, so it's actually about the same cost as the air to air. So for the same money, wouldn't you rather have geothermal?"

I sure would rather have geo, but because of the credit it SHOULD be alot cheaper than an air-source with me doing the expensive part, the loop field. But because of the 30% credit.....they were inflating the price by 30% and stealing my credit. I'm sure that line fools alot of people but as a man with the means to do it myself....I wasn't fooled.

For someone without the means of doing the loop field themselves, that is the big difference in cost. On a 4-ton like mine, I did 4 slinky loops @800' each. Which required a main trench about 80'....and 4 branches off of that at 120' each. So a total of 560' of trench, 6' depth, 3' wide. Roughly about the same amount of material excavated for my 1250 sq ft basement at 8' deep. And covering about a quarter acre.

But aside from that.....I know a lot of people that balk at a 20k geothermal system when building a new home.....then they spend $12k on air conditioning, $3k on a chimney, and $3k on a wood burner and talk about how much they saved because geo was too much $$$$

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #179  
I'm not following your logic.
How is he coming out ahead by cutting, splitting and selling wood only to have to pay for oil/propane/pellets/whatever to heat his house? Unless the firewood market where you live is very different than it is here, he's not likely to get as much for the wood he sells as he'll need to pay for an alternative heat source. Plus the hassle of marketing and (presumably) delivering it. If you only have a pickup truck, it's gonna take several trips to deliver even one cord, let alone several.
I never once said anyone would come out ahead by selling wood rather than burning it.

The benefit is not monetary. The benefit is not having the mess and hassle and uneven heating of burning wood. And all the other drawbacks, fire risk, insurance premiums, chimney maintenance, bugs, running a humidifier, etc etc.

Everyone's home is different as is everyone's access and options for alternative heating sources. As is the value of firewood in different areas. So YMMV is very much relevant and a factor here.

But if you can heat your home for $1500 per season via other means (electric, nat gas, propane, etc).....and that's a tough pill to swallow so you choose to burn firewood. And you sleep well thinking you are saving $1500 per year processing 6 cord of firewood a year for little cost. Maybe $20 for saw and splitter gas....because you already have a truck and saw and would have anyway so you don't factor that. So again....at least $1480/yr savings on your heating right????

Wrong. What's 6 cord of firewood worth that you are already cutting, splitting, trucking, handling, etc? In my area, that would be about $1200 worth of wood. And I could easily sell 6 cord of wood without ever going beyond 4 miles from my house.

So in this example, $1480/yr savings is now down to $280/yr. So now.....is the hassle and mess of burning wood worth it? That question I can't answer cause everyone is different. But more me, the answer would be no.

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #180  
So in this example, $1480/yr savings is now down to $280/yr. So now.....is the hassle and mess of burning wood worth it? That question I can't answer cause everyone is different. But more me, the answer would be no.
Whatever works for you I guess. I don't find heating with wood to be any particular hassle, and if I'd cut and split that proverbial 6 cords, I might as well use it myself.
I love wood heat. Even though a thermometer may read the same, the house just feels warmer using the stove vs. the furnace. As others have noted, the ashes work great on icy spots on walkways/driveway (better than sand), and what's leftover goes in the garden or mossy spots on the lawn.
A wood stove also works when the power goes out. :giggle: