If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing?

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing?
I think you mentioned this earlier. Around here all you have to do is start a rumor that you are selling wood and people start calling. Cash. No hassles. Well,,,,, maybe that more people call than you have wood for. :)
That just happened to me this evening. I have a very large pile of mulberry saw logs piled up (20 feet wide x 30 feet long and about 10 feet high) and it's all promised to someone I know that splits and sells it and he pays me for the wood too. So the people across the road, their son saw it and called me and asked me if he could have some (for free). Told him it was all spoken for. The gall, asking for it for free. Nothing is free, not even the air you breathe. Gonna add to it shortly, I have a large hard maple that is coming down.

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #162  
Myself, we heat with biomass (pellet and corn stove) with propane as the backup fuel. Processed wood pellets and dried corn is much less expensive per realized BTU than propane or NG and especially less expensive than electric heating, but it comes with a price and that price is, the units have to be maintained as in cleaning and ash removal on a regular basis.

With fuel costs climbing almost every month and being cheap, I'm always cognizant of heating costs, how about you?
We use heat pumps and geothermal
.nice heat, expensive to set up....but man nice heat....heat 3200 sq ft shop and 2200 sq ft house...250 a month ac/heat

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #163  
No harm in asking...As long as the conversation is respectful...

My neighbor just called to thank me !!
For taking the whole oak tree trunk he just cut down. Instead of him cutting it up and putting out on street for collection.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #164  
How much were pellets in your area this year? I bought 4 tons at 225 per this past spring.
Current price in northern Nevada, from Lowe's Home Center. I bought mine last year also as I saw what was happening with prices in this country. Works out to $374 a ton.
GoldenFire Pellets Lowe's.jpeg

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #165  
HHO dropped to 4.17/gal and I bought the dip, just received 400 gallons and that should last me a while. It was $5.68 last week and a steady decline until monday when it leveled off. Combined with wood, this should get me a year or two.

I do like wood bricks, which are pellets in a brick form. However, neither wood bricks nor pellets are available in my area. No one has them with no explanation why.

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #166  
   / If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #167  
HHO dropped to 4.17/gal and I bought the dip, just received 400 gallons and that should last me a while. It was $5.68 last week and a steady decline until monday when it leveled off. Combined with wood, this should get me a year or two.

I do like wood bricks, which are pellets in a brick form. However, neither wood bricks nor pellets are available in my area. No one has them with no explanation why.
Wow, thats a heckuva decrease.
Shortage, supply chain issue, fire at the plant, no one to work…….. :rolleyes:

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #168  
That just happened to me this evening. I have a very large pile of mulberry saw logs piled up (20 feet wide x 30 feet long and about 10 feet high) and it's all promised to someone I know that splits and sells it and he pays me for the wood too. So the people across the road, their son saw it and called me and asked me if he could have some (for free). Told him it was all spoken for. The gall, asking for it for free. Nothing is free, not even the air you breathe. Gonna add to it shortly, I have a large hard maple that is coming down.
No harm in asking, only way I know of to get an answer. Thanks to the solar panel industry, we have a glut of timber on the market. Was having a piece of property timbered and the crew had to stop because the fuel prices were higher than the timber.

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #169  
For those of you happy with your geothermal systems, do you mind sharing the total installation costs?

We got rough quotes in the 30 to $40,000 range when building our home in 2015 (ours would have been horizontal ground loops, exchanged to hydronic in slab), which made it pretty easy to choose the $1300 wood stove instead.

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #170  
We heat with oil and just filled up our tank. We locked in the price earlier this year at $4.99 a gallon. We got 216.3 gallons delivered and it was $1,086.27 Simply ridiculous.