If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing?

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #181  
Philosophical questions:

If the firewood one produces at their home property cannot or will not ever be sold, how many dollars is it actually worth?

If I can peck away at firewood production in my free time as a hobby, and spend basically nothing to do it, have I lost anything?

In the end I fully heat my home and do not have to spend the money paying for an alternative heat source.

Of course you are right that the firewood I turn into ashes has a theoretical market value. Totally fair if you want to compare and view things that way. Just seems hard to explain how some of us don't need to view it that way. I don't have an alternative, AND I also don't spend hardly any money on my heat source. Just facts. At the end of winter I have $1000 more in my bank account because I chose to heat my house this way. It is a chore, and a burden; of course I could figure out some sort of alternate income stream and spend my free time that way instead, but in reality, I would probably spend it on the couch because I don't know what that stream is. yet.

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #182  
But honestly, producing 2.5-3 cords of wood for my home to burn annually feels like a lot of work! I am flabbergasted every time I hear about how someone else's homestead needs 6-10 full cords of wood every winter. (are outdoor wood burners so inefficient?)

If I had to make 2 or 3 times the firewood that I do now.... I would probably rent a mini and dig my own geo loop trenches!

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #183  
Always wondered if small lot firewood delivery would work. Think in the same way that DASH or even pizza delivery works. And not just the usual stuff I burn, but super high quality, two year dried out, bug free, hard woods like Oak or Madrone. High-end, firewood, that the buyers would not care too much about quantity, as much as quality and convenience of having it delivered and stacked in 1/4 or smaller cords.
Or depending on what you have available you could make little knick nacks, especially Xmas oriented to sell with minimal cost, logistics, time, and wood available yes people buy these roadside mostly plus it gets the whole family involved. For me anyway it's a great way to utilize limbs, tops and small rounds.

Attachments

• KIMG1372.JPG
    KIMG1372.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:
   / If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #184  
Whatever works for you I guess. I don't find heating with wood to be any particular hassle, and if I'd cut and split that proverbial 6 cords, I might as well use it myself.
I love wood heat. Even though a thermometer may read the same, the house just feels warmer using the stove vs. the furnace. As others have noted, the ashes work great on icy spots on walkways/driveway (better than sand), and what's leftover goes in the garden or mossy spots on the lawn.
A wood stove also works when the power goes out. :giggle:
^ This!
Nothing beats sitting next to a wood-burning stove on a cold, stormy night. And yes, no worries about power outages, stove will work just fine without electricity. Unlike every other heating source.

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #185  
LD1, good try. You explained it clearly and with great detail several times.

The significance of it really slapped me when I quit burning wood after doing so for 25 years. No going back for me.

I have a long "to do" list on my farm that gives me all the exercise I want. My minimal involvement in cutting firewood is cleaning up deadfall or storm damage out of my timbers. My Sons both still burn wood and use it up. I pole it.

They come and block it and split it. I do the easy grunt work helping them. When we get a large trailer load of wood split I always make this comment. "The best part about this load of wood is that I don't have to unload it and burn it". We all laugh. Repeat next load. :)

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing?
Propane has around 91,000+/- btu per gallon,
#2 fuel oil has 138,600 btu per gallon.
So considerably less heat per gallon of propane.
That said high efficiency propane furnaces are available that are more efficient then the high efficiency oil burners.
We have one.... +95 Bryant condensing furnace.

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #187  
For those of you happy with your geothermal systems, do you mind sharing the total installation costs?

We got rough quotes in the 30 to $40,000 range when building our home in 2015 (ours would have been horizontal ground loops, exchanged to hydronic in slab), which made it pretty easy to choose the $1300 wood stove instead.
We paid $14,600 for everything including the loop trench and installation along with the heat pump install in 2008. We did get a rebate from our electric co-op also along with a property tax deduction for geothermal. We replaced an air source heat pump that didn't work in our colder climate.

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #188  
How does heating oil compare to propane efficiency? Will 400 gallons of heating oil heat the same square footage as 400 gallons of propane? Just curious and have no experience with heating oil.

There are 135,000 BTU Gal heating oil 90,000 BTU per gal of propane so about 1/3 less BTU in a gal of propane.

Difference is many gas units are 90-93% efficiency, most Oil burners are 85% range but there are a few exceptions - the European oil boilers can get to 90% (like our Buderus) and Lochnivar etc.

ENERGY COST CALCULATOR
FUELENERGY CONTENTUNIT PRICEHEAT CONVERSION EFFICIENCYCOST PER MILLION BTU
Kerosene
130,000​
BTU/gal
$4.05​
/gal91%$34.23
#2 Fuel Oil
135,000​
BTU/gal
$4.00​
/gal89$33.29
Propane
92,000​
BTU/gal
$2.69​
/gal94$31.11
Natural Gas
100,000​
BTU/therm
$1.79​
/therm*94$19.04
Electricity - Resistance
3,412​
BTU/kWh
$0.34​
/kWh**100$99.65
Electricity - Heat Pump
11,945​
BTU/kWh
$0.34​
/kWh**100$28.46
Coal
13,200​
BTU/lb
$300.00​
/ton75$15.15
Firewood-Hardwood
25,000,000​
BTU/cord
$375.00​
/cord60$25.00
Wood Pellets8,200BTU/lb$350.00/ton85$25.11
Shelled Corn
6,800​
BTU/lb
$6.00​
/bushel75$21.01

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #189  
Um.. I my world, a cord is $175 at max price, delivered.

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #190  
But honestly, producing 2.5-3 cords of wood for my home to burn annually feels like a lot of work! I am flabbergasted every time I hear about how someone else's homestead needs 6-10 full cords of wood every winter. (are outdoor wood burners so inefficient?)

If I had to make 2 or 3 times the firewood that I do now.... I would probably rent a mini and dig my own geo loop trenches!
We used to do at least that much wood with my father, on the cordwood saw behind the tractor. He had an indoor wood boiler hooked up in conjunction with the oil burner. They also used wood for the flower shop, to bring the temps up to a comfortable temperature to work in. When we got done, he would cut up wood for his best friend's widow. Then he went down to my uncle's house and cut up his wood.