If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing?

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #151  
Yep. We love our floor heat.
I put tubing in the floating slab when I did the kitchen dining room addition.
Heat from the water boiler.

Just for when company or small children come you know....

We love it when it's cold and cloudy ... ;-)

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #152  
Way back in the start of this thread, I was kidding about the costs of free firewood. The $35,000 truck was purchased for horses. Actually, the only exclusive firewood cost is the wood splitter. All the other equipment is part of the chosen rural life style.
Aside from the satisfaction of converting otherwise waste to useful material, the wood stove is back up heat and cooking if the utilities are interrupted. The peace of mind is worth at least a 5 Kw generator and two weeks of fuel.

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #153  
Always wondered if small lot firewood delivery would work. Think in the same way that DASH or even pizza delivery works. And not just the usual stuff I burn, but super high quality, two year dried out, bug free, hard woods like Oak or Madrone. High-end, firewood, that the buyers would not care too much about quantity, as much as quality and convenience of having it delivered and stacked in 1/4 or smaller cords.

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #154  
I'm heating with wood and propane. IF, I wasn't so lazy it would be all wood, like I use to.

I have LOTS of wood here on my place, it just takes time and some work to get it to the stove.

SR

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #155  
Always wondered if small lot firewood delivery would work. Think in the same way that DASH or even pizza delivery works. And not just the usual stuff I burn, but super high quality, two year dried out, bug free, hard woods like Oak or Madrone. High-end, firewood, that the buyers would not care too much about quantity, as much as quality and convenience of having it delivered and stacked in 1/4 or smaller cords.
In my neck of the woods, where trees for firewood are plentiful, those who buy firewood pay no attention to quality.

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #156  
I guess it would depend where you live and if you had enough population to support a operation like that, wood fireplaces don't seem to be as sought after or wanted. In the early and mid 2000s a construction company I worked for, very few were getting wood fireplaces and never wood stoves in southeast wi suburbs. These were mid to higher-end new construction.

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #157  
I've thought about trying to set something up like that in some of the small towns near where we cut wood, except do it through their food pantry to give to people when they need a few days of heat.
As I mentioned before I can't sell the wood, and none of the places I look after are close enough to a large population center to have a contractor buy the ends; but if I can spend 1/2 day working a couple of cords up and help a few people get through the winter it might be worth doing.

Because I DO enjoy putting up firewood! 👍

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #158  
   / If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #159  
The quality aspect is just something I've played around with in my head. I have never cared about the quality of the wood I burn. If it burns clean, its good, and the more the better.
Yet I live in an area that has an EXCESS of wood scraps. A great deal is cut off in dimensional lumber and other building supplies. I don't burn any thing, or take anything that is treated, and nails are not a problem. I take the ashes, and nails to the dump with the rest of dump stuff.
Its basically free heat, aside from the labor of locating it, loading it, unloading it and cutting it down to what the wood stove will handle. Of which I have become very lazy about the stove, as will take 17 inch bits.

The stove I have, is not a very efficient stove. Its a Olympic Avalon, and burns too hot all the time, even with the restrictions all closed, it still burns too fast for an over night stove. It has a fan and an exchange unit. I just chimmy sweeped it, after 15 years, and nothing was there to sweep out. I have cleaned the exchange coil several times, but it has to be a big blaze in this thing to heat up the house. It will take care of the power out situations, even with out the fan.
Being a bit of a nerd, it is far cheaper for me, and less labor to see the free fire wood sign and pay attention.
I'll stock up on any free wood, even bits left on the road. Of us, wood is always free.
I burn more in my burn piles, pulling stuff out of the woods for fire control, then I do finding easier stuff to put in the wood stove.

Last edited:
   / If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing?
How much were pellets in your area this year? I bought 4 tons at 225 per this past spring.
Last time I checked, about the same as you. I have not purchased any this year but I might for next year because who knows where the price will go.