Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures!

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #341  
One thing I did notice is that there is more tension in it than the spruce. When I got to my last cut the last piece on the saw bunks had a bit of a bowtie effect going on. It was slowly bowing more the whole time. When I get to cutting stock for the kiln I will try taking a bit more care and flip the cant every one or two cuts to bring the wood back some. I am guessing it is the same as planing lumber . If you take it all off one side your wood will almost always bow.
Keep turning that log to saw the tension out of it.

SR

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #342  
Poplar makes some nice boards. I hope to eventually saw out a few, although most of my larger trees have already been sold to the OSB mill. Still it grows fast, and I think it would make a nice interior if I ever build a camp
A lot of my poplar trees are 50-60 feet tall and 12-16 inches at the butt. The first 20 feet or so is pretty much branch free so this will make for a lot of fairly clear lumber. And they grow like weeds so pretty sustainable .

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures!
A lot of my poplar trees are 50-60 feet tall and 12-16 inches at the butt. The first 20 feet or so is pretty much branch free so this will make for a lot of fairly clear lumber. And they grow like weeds so pretty sustainable .
That's what I like about poplar. They grow fast and regenerate quickly when you cut them down. I've made a few small patch cuts, trying to enhance the ruffed grouse population here. Bird hunting used to be good 20 years ago when I bought the place, and I hope to bring it back to that.

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #344  
I cut my first couple of poplar logs on the mill today. (the first bunch of logs on the pile were spruce).
It is really nice and white as opposed to the green hue that a lot of poplar that we sell at my work has. I am not sure of the exact type of poplar I have but there is a ton of it on my property. I will do a little research just for the fun of it .The color should make it more stainable and more desirable for selling. Once I get my solar kiln up and running this stuff should sell well with the weekend warriors . Great for furniture and such.
One thing I did notice is that there is more tension in it than the spruce. When I got to my last cut the last piece on the saw bunks had a bit of a bowtie effect going on. It was slowly bowing more the whole time. When I get to cutting stock for the kiln I will try taking a bit more care and flip the cant every one or two cuts to bring the wood back some. I am guessing it is the same as planing lumber . If you take it all off one side your wood will almost always bow. I have lots of time and I don't want to have the last piece misshaped every time.

View attachment 771155View attachment 771156
Poplar is the most common tree on our woodlot, followed by pines.

there is one poplar I am eyeballing that could potentially supply most of not all the lumber I need to build my sawmill shed, I just need to clear enough to get to it with the tractor after felling.

the poplars here are mostly tulip poplar, and some of them are very consistent pale yellow wood, and some of them you would think were swamp cedar with all the beatific purple/violet/pink/blue coloration in the wood. And of COURSE there is no way to tell which will be which until you open it up. . , and the most spectacularly-colored ones always seem to show up when splitting firewood, not making boards 🤬

Poplar is the most common tree on our woodlot, followed by pines.

there is one poplar I am eyeballing that could potentially supply most of not all the lumber I need to build my sawmill shed, I just need to clear enough to get to it with the tractor after felling.

the poplars here are mostly tulip poplar, and some of them are very consistent pale yellow wood, and some of them you would think were swamp cedar with all the beatific purple/violet/pink/blue coloration in the wood. And of COURSE there is no way to tell which will be which until you open it up. . , and the most spectacularly-colored ones always seem to show up when splitting firewood, not making boards 🤬
I’ve found bird’s eye maple doing the same. ;)

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #346  
I have a bunch of kd birds eye maple that I have been hoarding for years (amongst other woods) that I have been waiting to have a proper shop of my own to work it in. Almost there . Then I will need a helical head planer so it won't chip as much as a traditional planer does sometimes. wishes , wishes :)

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #347  
That's what I like about poplar. They grow fast and regenerate quickly when you cut them down. I've made a few small patch cuts, trying to enhance the ruffed grouse population here. Bird hunting used to be good 20 years ago when I bought the place, and I hope to bring it back to that.

If you're not already familiar...do some searching on ruffed grouse and their population cycles...they have a unique cycle for the animal kingdom...

Grouse are some fine table fare...mostly white(ish) meat...!

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #348  
The pointer on my log scale was annoying me. It obscures an inch and a half of the graduations when moving up and down. I noticed on some of the other woodland mills sawmills that they had a clear pointer so I made one out of Lexan for my 130 to try it. I like this way better. It was throwing me the way it was so this is a good fix.

Their true scale (left side of yellow ruler) is printed a little sloppy and is not completely accurate. You might want to stick a new ruler on top of that for more precise positioning if that matters for your work. LJ on Youtube goes into more detail about the problem and a proposed fix:

9C567D31-B50A-4B37-A2B9-A8853731266D.jpeg

It looks like I'll be sawing this weekend. 👍 These were the only cedar on a job I was looking after this summer, so I bought them. Actually there was one more but after estimating the weight I tossed it off... my little trailer only has a 2000 lb payload. I brought it up, parked next to the pile and they loaded them for me. Good thing, a couple of those are too big to manhandle.

Last edited:
   / Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #350  
What'cha gonna cut?
Is eastern white??? as durable as wrc?