Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,351  
Those mini skids are no joke. The bigger models can lift a ton or more.
They have some great attachments for them also. I like that grapple.

I rented one once to drill some postholes. The soil was too rocky for it to work well but it beat the heck out of a regular manual post hole digger. I wonder how the stump grinder attachment works on those?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,352  
As far as chain saws go I will stick with
my 5 hp Stihl had had it since the mid
70's but there's not much here to use it
on.

willy

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,353  
1669375145437.jpeg

1669375845385.jpeg

1669376814828.jpeg

The Stumper 220 works very well ! It is high torque, low speed so it doesn't throw chips all over the place.

1669375771061.jpeg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,354  
I want to cut a few "cookies" off the butt end of the log with the blue stain. For tables, etc. I've never done that before.

How do you get a good square cut? Seems I should start by squaring up the open/butt end of the log. I'm terrible at that with a chainsaw-- the saw wanders around as I proceed down through the cut.

I have a bandsaw mill-- is that a better option? Cut maybe a foot off the end, then place it on the mill so the log is vertical? Then use the bandsaw for the cuts?
So I did this a while back, cut a stump off square and screwed it to a piece of 3/4 plywood through the bottom then clamped the plywood to the rails of my saw and had at it. Go slow and easy it you want to keep it attached to the plywood, and dont cut so low as to hit those screws/lag bolts.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,355  
cut a stump off square and screwed it to a piece of 3/4 plywood
That sounds great! I will try that.

Next issue is the drying process and trying to prevent cracks. Any suggestions? I have Anchorseal, so should I paint both sides of the exposed wood and hope for the best?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,356  

Next issue is the drying process and trying to prevent cracks. Any suggestions? I have Anchorseal, so should I paint both sides of the exposed wood and hope for the best?
Anchorseal both sides, but chances are you will get some cracking no matter what you do.

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,357  

I just stuck the discs in the skids of some other wood I was drying in the shade and undercover and it worked out very well. I've never used the Anchorseal so I cant comment on that. I think the thing is you want them to dry very slow! I made some tables..

IMG_1737.JPG

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,358  
Nice job!!!! It isn't very often that I see two trees grown together enough so they will stay like that.
I just stuck the discs in the skids of some other wood I was drying in the shade and undercover and it worked out very well. I've never used the Anchorseal so I cant comment on that. I think the thing is you want them to dry very slow! I made some tables..

View attachment 771874

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,359  
I made some tables..
Wow those are very nice looking and very unique. Q- how did you make or obtain the legs?

SR, yes I am resigned to some cracking. I talked with my logger recently about some madrone slabs I made that started out beautiful but cracked no matter what I did.

He suggested wrapping them in plastic, then waiting until a small amount of mold develops. Then open them up, let the air exchange, and do it again. Keep doing until dry. That's the first time I have heard about that method ....

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,360  
Nice job!!!! It isn't very often that I see two trees grown together enough so they will stay like that.
It was the crotch out of a big oak. And thanks.