6' Tiller

/ 6' Tiller #21  
Yeah, HST is a must have to be able to creep slow enough.
I used to use a 54” tiller with a 20 hp pto GST tractor. In L1, it did the job for me, but HST sure is better for hard ground conditions.

/ 6' Tiller #22  
What HP is needed to consider purchasing a
tiller for your tractor:

Consider this: A typical 5-ft rotary tiller with four tines can be run by a 25-hp tractor and the same 5-ft rotary tiller with six tines would need a 31-hp tractor to operate the tiller at peak performance. A 40-hp requirement jumps to nearly 50 hp with six tines.

willy

/ 6' Tiller #23  
What HP is needed to consider purchasing a
tiller for your tractor:

Consider this: A typical 5-ft rotary tiller with four tines can be run by a 25-hp tractor and the same 5-ft rotary tiller with six tines would need a 31-hp tractor to operate the tiller at peak performance. A 40-hp requirement jumps to nearly 50 hp with six tines.

willy
Good information for FORWARD ROTATION TILLERS.

Power requirements for REVERSE ROTATION TILLERS also needed.

/ 6' Tiller
I'm going to stick to forward rotating. With the WD45, it's a former pulling tractor, so she's not stock. From what I've been told, she won a few trophies back in the day. She fights a 9 shank all purpose plow and could do it with a little more weight on the tires and a beefed up cooling system.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1674314855981.jpg
    FB_IMG_1674314855981.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 41
   / 6' Tiller #25  
Unless the WD 45 is geared for about 1 mph at decent throttle setting, it's too fast.

/ 6' Tiller #27  
I'm curious if anyone out there can point me in the direction of a good 3 point tiller that can handle red clay and go a good 8" deep.

Top speed in 1st is 2.4 mph. So it should suffice.

I would not invest in a roto-tiller based on that assumption.

/ 6' Tiller #28  
We have an old LONG tiller 8' long. Never had a 120 HP tractor. Lot of times used behind 1900 model Ford. But the 1900 can go so slow that we get by using it. 8N, not a chance. The 4630 and 5610's do fine. Never used it with the cab tractor.

/ 6' Tiller
I'm curious if anyone out there can point me in the direction of a good 3 point tiller that can handle red clay and go a good 8" deep.

Top speed in 1st is 2.4 mph. So it should suffice.

I would not invest in a roto-tiller based on that assumption.
If it can't, I've got a 5400 and a 5420 at my disposal. Besides, as previously mentioned, this WD45 isn't a stock version. It had some work done in it by a previous owner who was a puller. She'll pull a 9 shank all purpose.

/ 6' Tiller #30  
I use a 6ft KK tiller with my Ford 3910, 42 PTO HP. 1st gear, 1.7mph at 2,000 rpms. I run the tiller at half throttle. No problems at all. Extreme soil conditions or heavy sod you may have to make more than one pass. If tilling a garden, one pass will do it fine. I "fell" into mine. Slightly used. $500.