6' Tiller

/ 6' Tiller
So, right now, it seems like it's coming down between Betstco and my King Kutter. I'm planning on talking to KK today to get their warranty information and specs.

/ 6' Tiller #32  
If it can't, I've got a 5400 and a 5420 at my disposal. Besides, as previously mentioned, this WD45 isn't a stock version. It had some work done in it by a previous owner who was a puller. She'll pull a 9 shank all purpose.
The issue is that you need to be able to have a gear that allows for a very low ground speed while running the throttle at 540 pto RPMs. You can till at a faster ground speed if you are working an area that has been tilled before, but it wouldn’t work well on hard ground.

/ 6' Tiller #33  
If it can't, I've got a 5400 and a 5420 at my disposal. Besides, as previously mentioned, this WD45 isn't a stock version. It had some work done in it by a previous owner who was a puller. She'll pull a 9 shank all purpose.
As mentioned, it isnt just about power. Its about ground speed.

Forward rotation tiller means the rotor is travelling the same direction as the tractor. Two things control its ability to penetrate into the dirt.....its own weight and time.

IF the travel speed of the tractor is too fast....and each tine tries to take too much bite, it keeps the tiller from actually penetrating. You need to go SLOW . And even at that.....no way you get 8" depth in one pass on virgin ground.

IMO, 2.4MPH is just too fast. For the KK tillers (and Im sure others are geared for similar rotor ROM), 1-1.5MPH is about ideal.

And the only way you can slow down is to idle down....which is self defeating because it slows the tiller down at the same rate as travel speed. IE:....if you go half throttle to go half speed, the tiller is also spinning half speed. The result is the same....trying to take too big of a bite.

Its like using a backhoe......trying to take too big of a bite and you end up dragging the machine instead of scooping dirt. Only in this case you wont push the machine around.....rather it will just keep the tiller from penetrating because the 3PH doesnt have down pressure

/ 6' Tiller
As mentioned, it isnt just about power. Its about ground speed.

Forward rotation tiller means the rotor is travelling the same direction as the tractor. Two things control its ability to penetrate into the dirt.....its own weight and time.

IF the travel speed of the tractor is too fast....and each tine tries to take too much bite, it keeps the tiller from actually penetrating. You need to go SLOW . And even at that.....no way you get 8" depth in one pass on virgin ground.

IMO, 2.4MPH is just too fast. For the KK tillers (and Im sure others are geared for similar rotor ROM), 1-1.5MPH is about ideal.

And the only way you can slow down is to idle down....which is self defeating because it slows the tiller down at the same rate as travel speed. IE:....if you go half throttle to go half speed, the tiller is also spinning half speed. The result is the same....trying to take too big of a bite.

Its like using a backhoe......trying to take too big of a bite and you end up dragging the machine instead of scooping dirt. Only in this case you wont push the machine around.....rather it will just keep the tiller from penetrating because the 3PH doesnt have down pressure
I'm assuming you're not familiar with a WD45.

/ 6' Tiller #35  
I'm assuming you're not familiar with a WD45.
Good luck now and in the future with all things tractor related. My willingness to try and help and offer advise has just ended. Happy tractoring

/ 6' Tiller #36  
Good luck now and in the future with all things tractor related. My willingness to try and help and offer advise has just ended. Happy tractoring
Ummm,,, he might have a point. The WD-45 is a unique tractor. Much sought after for the tractor to use on an AC small round hay baler. :)

/ 6' Tiller #37  
Ummm,,, he might have a point. The WD-45 is a unique tractor. Much sought after for the tractor to use on an AC small round hay baler. :)
Only because it has an oil cooled hand clutch (along with a dry foot clutch) that "kinda" gave it live power.

You certainly don't want to be clutching while tilling, like it was used with baling!

SR

/ 6' Tiller #38  
Only because it has an oil cooled hand clutch (along with a dry foot clutch) that "kinda" gave it live power.

You certainly don't want to be clutching while tilling, like it was used with baling!

SR
Most definitely has live power. That clutch is disengaged/engaged hundreds of times in a day of baling. Is there a reason you see that it couldn't be used to "adjust" ground speed in certain spots while tilling?

/ 6' Tiller #39  
Most definitely has live power. That clutch is disengaged/engaged hundreds of times in a day of baling. Is there a reason you see that it couldn't be used to "adjust" ground speed in certain spots while tilling?
My guess is that since it's not a matter of on vs off, but varying the speed between on and off, it requires continual slipping. Cooled clutch or no that's a lot of wear.
(caveat, I don't know jack about these tractors)

/ 6' Tiller
There's one additional thing he didn't take into consideration. I said max speed in first gear was 2.4 mph. He said range of recommended working speed was 1-1.5 mph. The main working range of the WD45 was about middle of the quadrant, which would put 1st gear running speed at that range as approximately 1.2 mph, essentially in the middle of the working range he stated.