6' Tiller

/ 6' Tiller #11  
I don't know how it is around your area but here - used implements are scarce to nonexistent.

/ 6' Tiller #12  
Most likely either the WD-45 Diesel or John Deere 5400.
I think your JD will have enough grunt for this. I've been looking at the Woodmaxx. If you're going to be breaking new ground frequently, maybe look at the EA heavy duty ones.

/ 6' Tiller
As far as used prices in my area, there's a lot of the , "I know what I've got" mentality. Some of the things they're trying to sell are older than I am and almost as much as new.

/ 6' Tiller #14  
Yeah, HST is a must have to be able to creep slow enough.
Not really. My creep gears can drop my travelling speed down less than 1/10th mile [per hour with 100% of the power going to the PTO.

I use mine for planting produce all the time, well I don't, the guy down the road does. You can get out and eat your lunch and get back in, it's that slow. For me at least, any HST is a waste of power.

/ 6' Tiller #15  
From the sounds of your use you'd be crazy to pay new prices, either get a used/auction thing or hire someone to do the initial ground breaking for you and get something lighter.

IMO, shop local auctions.

If you've got HST, don't be afraid to go wide; creep and get it done in a couple passes.

Auction tiller may be no-name from china like mine but I use it a few times in a year and this thing is built heavier than my tractor (and my tractor's one of the more heavily built ones, too) so the chances of it breaking under my use is slim to nil.
One thing I learned about auction tillers long ago is check the time length b/4 bidding.

/ 6' Tiller #16  
2 years ago I got a price of $17k to put in a new lawn. wtf??? Although I am still working, I work from home. Simple solution - I bought a good tiller from EA. It was a Simca (Italian) with reverse rotation. They don't show it available on THEIR SITE but it was a 66" beast.

Glyphosate, box blade to remove the big rocks and the Simca Phoenix T10-GE did an awesome job. Not needing it anymore I sold it to a guy from RI. I lost a few hundred $$, he got a great deal on a like new tiller and I have a new lawn that ended up costing me my labor and less than $2500

/ 6' Tiller #17  
I have a wood's 72" tiller and after one pass
the ground is ready to plant!

willy

Last edited:
   / 6' Tiller #18  
Most likely either the WD-45 Diesel or John Deere 5400.

John Deere 5400​

John Deere 5400 Power
Engine (gross):68.4 hp
51.0 kW
PTO (claimed):60 hp
44.7 kW
Drawbar (tested):52.61 hp
39.2 kW
PTO (tested):62.56 hp
46.7 kW
John Deere 5400 Weight
2WD ROPS Shipping:4560 lbs
2068 kg
4WD ROPS Shipping:5070 lbs
2299 kg
2WD Cab Shipping:5460 lbs
2476 kg
4WD Cab Shipping:5970 lbs
2707 kg
4WD ROPS Operating:5118 lbs

/ 6' Tiller #19  
15 pto horses per foot of width.
Did you mean to put 15? I think 5 PTO HP per foot is the usual rule of thumb.