Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality

/ Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #1  

Cougsfan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO35, Branson 4720CH
We recently replaced our microwave, toaster and dishwasher. They were all just a few years old, and all had issues. In fact it seems like most appliances we have bought in the last 15 years or so have an unusually high number of issues. We don't buy the cheapest appliances, we read and pay attention to the reviews. Some have lasted well, but in general they all seem far more highly prone to having issues. Unfortunately I have became on first name basis with our local appliance repair guy. He says you can't necessarily go by brand, or price, or where it is made. Some models of some brands are definitely better than others, but all of them definitely are of considerably poorer quality compared to decades past. He suggested that we consult with him prior to buying something so he can tell us which model of which brand he considers better. He also says the more "features" an appliance has; the more issues you are likely to have.

Its not like they don't know how to make a toaster that toasts evenly on both sides and will last for 20 to 40 years because they used to make them that way.

You always hear that "you get what you pay for." That is not necessarily true in the appliance industry. Expensiveness doesn't appear to correlate very well with quality. I have read you can actually buy higher quality appliances in Europe and Japan made by our same common name manufacturers, but those are not available in the States, some suggest because of reasons related to planned obsolescence. I am not much to buy into conspiracy theories, but this makes one consider that suggestion. What can consumers do when an entire industry appears to be immersed in the planned obsolescence mentality?

A side rant; The water filter on our newest refrigerator is a microchipped filter that raised the filter replacement cost from $20 to $50. Why do I need a filter with a microchip to tell me it is time to replace it?

/ Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #2  
My understanding is that there has been a lot of mergers and consolidation in the appliance industry in the last 20 years. Some appliances are made by the same company, but only have different brand names on them. Would you like to pay $999 for Brand A or $1,400 for Brand B, but it's basically the same appliance with a different label.

/ Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #3  
We recently replaced our microwave, toaster and dishwasher. They were all just a few years old, and all had issues. In fact it seems like most appliances we have bought in the last 15 years or so have an unusually high number of issues. We don't buy the cheapest appliances, we read and pay attention to the reviews. Some have lasted well, but in general they all seem far more highly prone to having issues. Unfortunately I have became on first name basis with our local appliance repair guy. He says you can't necessarily go by brand, or price, or where it is made. Some models of some brands are definitely better than others, but all of them definitely are of considerably poorer quality compared to decades past. He suggested that we consult with him prior to buying something so he can tell us which model of which brand he considers better. He also says the more "features" an appliance has; the more issues you are likely to have.

Its not like they don't know how to make a toaster that toasts evenly on both sides and will last for 20 to 40 years because they used to make them that way.

You always hear that "you get what you pay for." That is not necessarily true in the appliance industry. Expensiveness doesn't appear to correlate very well with quality. I have read you can actually buy higher quality appliances in Europe and Japan made by our same common name manufacturers, but those are not available in the States, some suggest because of reasons related to planned obsolescence. I am not much to buy into conspiracy theories, but this makes one consider that suggestion. What can consumers do when an entire industry appears to be immersed in the planned obsolescence mentality?

A side rant; The water filter on our newest refrigerator is a microchipped filter that raised the filter replacement cost from $20 to $50. Why do I need a filter with a microchip to tell me it is time to replace it?
We've been dealing with the same issue. Just realized that the reason the door wasn't closing well on the fridge was a bushing on the hinge had shattered and disappeared. Last week was the dryer, in which I found a flashlight that had been there at least fifteen years...

I like AppliancePartPros.com for their detailed exploded diagrams of appliances.

After a series of microwave issues, I bought a commercial (restaurant) Panasonic. It doesn't do popcorn/potatoes/pizza automatically, but it does just work.

You need the microchip on the filter to subsidize the manufacturer. I have been on the design side when sales comes along with that sort of idea to "increase revenue". Never been a fan. There are some hacks for some items to fool the system.

Meanwhile, my grandmother's General Electric toaster (1922) still toasts bread better than any toaster or toaster oven we have ever had. No microchip.

All the best,

Peter

/ Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #4  
" I have read you can actually buy higher quality appliances in Europe and Japan made by our same common name manufacturers, but those are not available in the States, some suggest because of reasons related to planned obsolescence. I am not much to buy into conspiracy theories, but this makes one consider that suggestion."

That is true and you can see for yourself by looking beneath the hood of a motor vehicle built for use in Mexico. No EPA crap. The infamous Ford 6.0L diesel built for Mexico isn't EPA compliant and as the result a real beast that run's forever and gets 30% better fuel milage.

/ Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #6  
My hot water tank is from 1949....something Hubermeyer from Seattle Ironworks, when it blows it will probably level the house 😅

/ Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #7  
After going through 15+ washers and dryers over the years, I bit the bullet and bought Speed Queen brand. They have turn knobs on the front and are "supposed" to be the last washer and dryer I will ever hafta buy. They have been flawless for 6 months now...only 19.5 more years to go.

/ Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #8  
After going through 15+ washers and dryers over the years, I bit the bullet and bought Speed Queen brand. They have turn knobs on the front and are "supposed" to be the last washer and dryer I will ever hafta buy. They have been flawless for 6 months now...only 19.5 more years to go.
This is exactly what I just did.

/ Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #9  
Son and close friend worked for a major appliance maker. Both say major appliances are designed for a 7 year life cycle.

Old days of 20 year or more appliances are long gone. Nobody makes money if things last that long.

Complain all you want, you are not going to change anything. Just budget for more frequent replacments.

/ Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #10  
I totally agree..bought some whirlpool appliances year ago not been impressed