Your last generator Maintenance Run

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,081  
Patrick good info in that link.
I’ve encountered issues in the past with unbalanced inverter & generator loading in the past.
Looks like I’ve got some reading to do, always something to learn here.
Thanks
90cummins

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#6,082  
My 35KW diesel powered genset sits next to the shop and I have a light array wired to it so I can tell when it's exercising or has assumed the power as it's too far from the house to actually hear it run. Plumbed into my 500 gallon bulk diesel farm tank.

Runs everything including the shop. Single phase and 3 phase 220.

Probably should have bought a 40KW actually.
First World Problems.....

Big Wink ;)

Sounds like a really nice setup.

Rgds, D.

#6,083  
So the inverter can provide a "grid" for the solar city AC system to synchronise to, no charge controller needed.
The other one I was thinking is that you could feed the input of the inverter using your small honda with an autotransformer to give you 120/240.

Incoming cyclone generator preparation report: Two smoke shoe box didn't want to run, crud in the fuel filter bowl and carb plus mason wasp nest in the air intake. Running ok again after cleaning. Used a heatgun as a test load.

Wind is just starting to freshen here, we have strong wind and heavy rain warnings. Nothing like what's going on up north: Attached image shows outages for one of the networks north of Auckland city.
Hopefully you guys don't see too much damage.....

I see you have Murphy down there too...... since you tested and serviced the little 'uns, I'd expect your grid to stay up though !

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,084  
So far just winter level rain for us, nothing major.
The main grid operator has lost a 110 and a 220kV bus in one region so it's quite serious north of us. One region with zero comms.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,085  
First World Problems.....

Big Wink ;)

Sounds like a really nice setup.

Rgds, D.
The diesel standby has saved our bacon more than once. Living in east bum fudge, when the power goes out, out here, it could be out for a few minutes or a few weeks, one never knows. It's peace of mind for us and the farm.

#6,086  
So far just winter level rain for us, nothing major.
The main grid operator has lost a 110 and a 220kV bus in one region so it's quite serious north of us. One region with zero comms.
Hopefully you have some Amateur Radio groups/folks that can fill in the gaps.

Even w/o major flooding, a lot of the cell towers around here don't have extensive local backup.

Rgds, D.

#6,087  
The diesel standby has saved our bacon more than once. Living in east bum fudge, when the power goes out, out here, it could be out for a few minutes or a few weeks, one never knows. It's peace of mind for us and the farm.
Self-sufficiency (y)

Outside the norm today, but none of us are troubled by being in that category....... :cool:

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,088  
My local recycler called me yesterday to tell me he took in over (100) SBS STT2V420 industrial storage batteries. Tested a couple which were 2 plus volts.
Thinking of buying a pallet of 30 if he’s reasonable.
These would be a huge improvement in capacity over my original L16’s purchased in 2014.
Any ideas what would be a fair price?

90cummins
image.jpg

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,089  
Do you know how old they are and what their previous application was?
I'd definitely load and capacity test a few before agreeing on any price that is significantly above the scrap value of lead batts. Around here it's around $1/kg

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,090  
Do you know how old they are and what their previous application was?
I'd definitely load and capacity test a few before agreeing on any price that is significantly above the scrap value of lead batts. Around here it's around $1/kg
Don’t know mfg date they were wrapped up but they looked extremely clean & the few we checked were at or above the full charge voltage. We have a pumped storage facility in town called Bear Swamp which my nephew works at & they use them for backup power for pumps & support equipment.
They systematically replace them according to established performance/time criteria so they were professionally tested & maintained and still have plenty of capacity for a small battery backup.
They have 3 plus pallets of them, 30 per pallet.
I would most likely buy a complete pallet & create 2 battery banks.

90cummins