Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #91  
I absolutely love the 3033R, but I didn't want to get into the emissions realm.
I was also leery of this, coming from only older pre-emissions machines, when I bought the 3033R. But it didn't take me long to really appreciate it, every time I fire it up in my shed or leave it running while I work around it. My older machines stink to high hell, by comparison. I guess it's like when we find ourselves behind a classic Chevelle or Cuda, we have forgotten just how bad those old cars stink up the air behind them.

The trade-off is that the thing is HOT to straddle, probably due in part to the DPF. I feel like it's cooking me from the front in summer, when I use it to spread fertilizer on the lawn. Of course, I appreciate the heat coming off of it in winter.

Unfortunately, and for reasons I can't comprehend, Deere doesn't make a 3025R. I have no doubt that if they did offer one it would sell quite well.
It would probably work well for flatlanders using it for mostly loader work, but might struggle with the auto throttle on our hills. Even the 3033R is underpowered for cruising up a hill in mid-range, without giving it a little manual throttle, at least with my usual load of ballast box, filled tires, and FEL on the machine. I guess they could do a better job at programming the auto throttle, so it doesn't bog when first loaded up, but that would take away some of the incentive for people to buy that big expensive 3046R. :ROFLMAO:

The two-range transaxle doesn't do much for me either, but again, that changes as you go upmarket as well.
This is my first machine with a 3-range transaxle, and the high range is nice for cruising on the road, especially when I don't have the loader or ballast box mounted. But overall, I could live without it. I'm in mid-range 80% of time, and probably high range less than 1% of the time, the remainder being moving dirt or running implements at PTO RPM in low range. High range at PTO RPM makes for quite a ride, not for the faint of heart with such a high COG on a narrow machine.

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #92  
@WinterDeere you know how you get around a potential issue with the auto-throttle? Don't offer it, or make it an add-on. 😂

I could do without certain features, so long as I get the stronger axles, 3 range hydrostatic, air seat, etc. I've never had auto-throttle, though I've considered adding it to my Kioti; if I recall, that and cruise control are the only options I didn't select when I purchased my tractor.

I'm rambling; the point is that I wish Deere offered a proper equivalent to my CK2610, as the 3E machines are so far behind their competition. They're a handsome machine, I'll give them that, but what a poor cost to value product. As for 25 horsepower, I can do everything I need to, even if I do it a lot slower. Let's be real though, everything I do I'm doing slow no matter how much horsepower I've got.

Such a machine is also great for loader work, as you presumed.

So, come on Deere, where is the 3025R? There is a market, I'm sure of it.

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #93  
So, come on Deere, where is the 3025R? There is a market, I'm sure of it.
Partly an answer to the 3025R inquiry, the one that I find interesting is the 3025D. I've owned at least four manual-trans/clutch tractors, the latest being a Deere 750, and they kind of suck for loader work. But it seems these newer manuals have some sort of quick reverse function that avoids manually jogging the gear shifter back and forth through the gates? Anyone know how these things work?

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #94  
Partly an answer to the 3025R inquiry, the one that I find interesting is the 3025D. I've owned at least four manual-trans/clutch tractors, the latest being a Deere 750, and they kind of suck for loader work. But it seems these newer manuals have some sort of quick reverse function that avoids manually jogging the gear shifter back and forth through the gates? Anyone know how these things work?
just like a power reverser except you have to depress the clutch to engage F/R you can go to N without the clutch. works great for loader work.

Last edited:
   / Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #95  
How many front axles ahve been broken on tractors by lifting something that exceeds the capacity?

It seems ridiculous the manufacturer would have a rated load on the front axle that is less than the weight added by maxing the FEL?

It's not rare to see broken axles on MFWD compacts and '50s and '60s rowcrop tractors with loaders mounted. One big warning sign that you are overloaded on the front is the rear gets light. On a 2WD tractor you lose traction in your drive wheels so it's not only immediately apparent, but must be fixed. On a MFWD tractor you can simply engage the front axle and keep on working, destroying your axle in the process. The bevel gear designs on the compacts is not as strong as the planetary MFWD design on full-sized utility tractors, which is why there are far fewer people complaining about broken MFWD axles on 5 and 6 series Deeres and M series Kubotas than on compacts. The '50s and '60s rowcrop machines weren't really designed to carry much on the front axles above the weight of the tractor, and putting a loader on them simply overloaded them and broke spindles.

One has to wonder if front axle “rating” is artificially low in that the manufacturer feels that if you load beyond the rating, the rear of the tractor may lift off the ground.
IOW A tractor may have a 5,000 lb front axle rating, but it is “de-rated” to 3,000lbs because if you fully loaded it, it would pull the back wheels off?

Listed axle capacity can also be dependent on what tires are installed. At least for my tractor the front axle rating is merely the sum of the full-rated-speed load rating of the tires.

Is nobody going to bring up the 18x8.50-10NHS R14T front tires and the 880lb load rating on those? That gives you 1,760lbs so you'd be over the rating on the tires too...

I also noted the mid-mount mower on the JD that ads a little weight, maybe 120lbs to the front.

Load rating on tires depends on speed and inflation pressure. The specifics vary depending on the specific tire, but a static load rating of 200% full-speed-capacity and a speed at 3-5 MPH of 1 1/3 or 1 1/2 times the full-speed-capacity (which is usually rated at 25-35 MPH) is pretty common.

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #96  
Yep weakest link

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #97  
When carrying max load in the bucket and turning (especially in 4x4) Double shear is a better way to support the hub pivot jmo.

Something neither Deere or Kubota does on most tractors under 50 HP .

Another interesting thing is that some tractors tire choices have a higher load rating on the front tires than the large rear tires. Just checked mine, by 6 ply rating each and the front tires can support over a thousand pounds more than the rears. 7600 vs 6400lbs.

?
A double shear axel with a driveshaft through the middle and a planetary hub is a much stronger axel vs the single shear axels with the dinky ring rears. The front tires usually run much higher psi. My front tractor tires run 45 psi and my skid steer tires run 80 psi. The tractor rears only run 15 psi or so. A large tire that’s more concerned with load carrying vs ground compaction like a telhandler tire would have higher psi.

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #98  
It sounds like he's searching for a problem to a solution. How many guys on here that have owned SCUT and CUTs have had front end axle failures from overloading?

Throw the proper amount of ballast on there and don't worry about it.

Nothing to see here!

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #99  
Most I've ever had, even on my very-highly-abused 30 year old 855, was a leaky front seal. I doubt the damage was due to anything I did with the loader.

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #100  
My philosophy about overloading ANY front axle is simply this...

The onus of it lies entirely on the operator and his or her lack of common sense, which is why I have not been commenting at all.

Never have had any front axle issues other than normal wear and tear on either of my Kubota's and don't plan on it either because I use common sense always.

I don't care what any axle is rated at, common sense will always take precedent unless you have none.