Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #81  
I'll just show the tag on my tractor. It would be nice if manufacturers could expand on more details about these axle ratings to clear things up. Is the rating meant for static use? While moving? If moving, at what speed? Does it include the front weights already? Without the front weights?, Etc. Lots of variables.

The reality is, most tractors will be near max capacity with just the loader on it. Here is my case, I have 870 kg (1900 lbs) weight rating on the front axle as seen on the picture. I know for a fact it does not include a loader since the tractors are sold without a loader and there is no OEM loader option.

If I put my loader on, that's about 1000-ish lbs (loader mounts + arms + bucket) that will take from the front axle capacity. So this means I now can only lift 900-ish lbs with a loader that I built and design to match the aftermarket loaders we have here, which have a max capacity of around 1650 lbs at max height at the pins. Or even the Branson loader in the US with 2200 lbs capacity. Plus, I still have my hydraulic winch (160 lbs) and my front weights ( 240 lbs).

I'll also add that Branson tractors have really heavy duty axles for the size of tractor compared to about everyone else. It's like they put the axles from the next frame size tractor on the smaller frame one. Specially when compared to other brands side by side, you'll really notice the size differences.

View attachment 790224
If all the rest of the design was equal, a larger axle would be stronger. But that doesn't mean that it is.
It would be just as easy to make a smaller and stronger axle out of stronger material - or with a different internal geometry.
It would probably cost more, and so would the tractor.

rScotty

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #82  
Sure you realized this, but neither wheel weights or fluid in the tires add to axle load calculation. It may put a little extra dynamic stress on all of the parts, but its static load is zero.
The rear weights and fluid ADD weight to the front axle when I can no longer keep the back tires on the ground. My 700# of fluid and 600# of cast weights out back all get added to the front axle. And on top of that......having those weights on the back allow the front loader to lift even MORE weight that is also added to the front.

IE: the tractor has the ability to load the front axle with ALOT more weight by having the weights and liquid than if the tires were empty and I took the weights off

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #83  
I'll tell you this- I don't know what it's rated for, but physically the front axle to tractor size dimensions on the Deere 3025E is the goofiest I've seen.

Would you just look at it?

img.axd

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #84  
I'll tell you this- I don't know what it's rated for, but physically the front axle to tractor size dimensions on the Deere 3025E is the goofiest I've seen.
The "E" in that model number = "Economy", they did all they could to strip cost out of that design, and it shows. Heck, the loader isn't even removable. :rolleyes:

Check the 3R series for a more appropriate front axle configuration.

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #86  
The "E" in that model number = "Economy", they did all they could to strip cost out of that design, and it shows. Heck, the loader isn't even removable. :rolleyes:

Check the 3R series for a more appropriate front axle configuration.

Oh I'm well aware, lol; I absolutely love the 3033R, but I didn't want to get into the emissions realm. Unfortunately, and for reasons I can't comprehend, Deere doesn't make a 3025R. I have no doubt that if they did offer one it would sell quite well.

The two-range transaxle doesn't do much for me either, but again, that changes as you go upmarket as well.

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #87  

Would you just look at it?

img.axd

While I like the 3025e... Yeah ever look at the front axle driveshaft pinion spline size??? Can't believe it does not strip out.

Agree with PTSG, look at the hub mounting as well the 20 series and I believe even the 2515 mounts the hub in double shear.
When carrying max load in the bucket and turning (especially in 4x4) Double shear is a better way to support the hub pivot jmo.

Something neither Deere or Kubota does on most tractors under 50 HP .

Another interesting thing is that some tractors tire choices have a higher load rating on the front tires than the large rear tires. Just checked mine, by 6 ply rating each and the front tires can support over a thousand pounds more than the rears. 7600 vs 6400lbs.

Now where did I put my Flame suit?

Last edited:
   / Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #88  
It’s kind of hard to understand the physics behind it but loaded rear tires do nothing to take the load off the front axle. If the rear tires come off the ground then the front axle becomes the pivot but the loaded tires than help the tractor from nose diving. A ballast box or other three point actually takes weight off the front axle.
agreed but the loaded rear tires do not add load to the rear axle

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #89  
I have a small trailer that I made. It has a 3/4 1018 cold rolled axle, with sleeve bearing turf tires, and can easily cart around 5-700lb. In medium sized fat guys, that would be about 2 to 3 of them sitting on it. For comparison, that's about the loader capacity of a JD2025. There are also 1000lb gorilla carts with tiny axles and wheels. It doesn't seem to take much to handle those weights.

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #90  
agreed but the loaded rear tires do not add load to the rear axle
I get what you’re saying. The load goes threw the tire to the ground a the axle doesn’t have to carry the load. One of the advantages of loaded tires in term os stability, you can’t get the weight any lower.