Tires Upsized front r4 tires on L5030

/ Upsized front r4 tires on L5030
The MX5100 actually have a different ratio in the front diff and the side gears. The rear end on them is based on the older L4610 design without the external lift cylinders that have a different rear ratio and lead/lag mechanical ratio.

Never understood why L series used the smaller R-4 size. My MX 5100 is comparable in size and 12 x 16.5 is the standard R-4 front tire. The footprint of the 10" width would seem to exert excessive ground pressure on improved landscape surfaces, especially in using the FEL, loaded to capacity. Shortsighted thinking on Kubota's part ?. Other manufactures of this
size tractor seem to employee the 12" R-4. (Mahindra, an example) The L series rear tire sizes on L and MX are the same for Industrial Tires.

/ Upsized front r4 tires on L5030 #22  
Slow,
My post did not include reference to ratios. The comment dealt with the compaction aspect of a 10" width tire. As for the MX design based upon an old L series, I do Not accept your premise, actually Messick's produced a video differentiating the Cat 1 of the L from the Cat 2 of the MX. The MX axle is inherently more robust. It isn't a convoluted regurgitated concept of the past. Further, the design of the 3 point lift mechanism has no relationship to the final drive ratio.

/ Upsized front r4 tires on L5030 #23  
20170419_105313.jpg

L5740 and MX5100 front tires.

not trying to be negative on the MX, I like them. The front axles are 90% the same as the L30 except a few gears. This means they have the good steering and top bolster on the knuckle.

The rear end design is the older type series without the external lift cylinders. The Grand L10 series had a split where the L4610 got the new style front end that later Grand L and MX inherited. The L4610 also retained planetary gears of the older L while the L30 went to cheaper spur gear design that fit the lift cylinders better.

So the MX has better front axle, and retains strong planetary rear, just doesn稚 have the 3 point lift numbers the external cylinders provide.

Slow,
My post did not include reference to ratios. The comment dealt with the compaction aspect of a 10" width tire. As for the MX design based upon an old L series, I do Not accept your premise, actually Messick's produced a video differentiating the Cat 1 of the L from the Cat 2 of the MX. The MX axle is inherently more robust. It isn't a convoluted regurgitated concept of the past. Further, the design of the 3 point lift mechanism has no relationship to the final drive ratio.

/ Upsized front r4 tires on L5030 #25  
Slowzuki, someone asked a ways back if you ran the 12-16.5's on the original 10-16.5 rims or if you changed out the rims... I too am wondering about this, as I have a MF that I'd like to bump the front tire size on. It's got little to no lead with 10-16.5's, and I generally use 4wd only for loader work with lots of turning, so if I end up just a little high on lead, it's not an issue.

I am just wondering if you were able to cram 12's on the front rims that originally were sized for 10's. I think a normal 10 rim is about 8.25" wide, while the standard wheel for a 12 would be 9.75" wide... I wouldn't worry about running a narrow rim on a truck tire, but not sure how these skidsteer tires will like it...

Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
The original rims work fine.

The R4’s I swapped to are 16.5-12 not 12.5’s.

And I noticed above, my comments on the MX5100 are actually the MX5000, sorry about that. I’ve not looked at the MX5100’s in detail. I presume they had next tier emissions and the sleeker hood.

Last update, take a look at the R1 tire options on the MX5100 vs the L5030 or 40 series. They run the same 9.5x16 and 14.9x26 or 13.6x28 rears. The R4 option bumps the fronts to 12x16.5 on the MX5100 where it didn’t on the L5030.

/ Upsized front r4 tires on L5030 #29  
Thanks Slowzuki! I corretcted my questions... Not sure why I had the .5 in there... Brain fart I guess.
I'll be upping to 12's next re-shoe...

Interesting that Kubota runs the larger R4, but the same size R1's on the MX5100... My tractor used 9.5-16's on the front with R1's also, but only 10-16.5's with R4's. I don't remember the size, but the rear R1's were not as much larger as the fronts, meaning with R1's, there was quite a bit of front lead, while with R4's, there is little to none. Perhaps more lead works better in places you would typically use 4wd with R1's, or the taller tread will squirm and forgive a bigger amount of lead...

How exactly are you fellas determining how much lead there is, anyway? I have no idea the front to rear gear ratio of my tractor, and don't know how I'd ever figure it out w/o taking things apart to check gear count... ?? I can only guess based on how quickly it binds up going straight on a firm surface...

/ Upsized front r4 tires on L5030 #30  
EPIC FAIL! I upsized from the 10-16.5 to 12-16.5. Common sense should have prevailed but stupidity got the best of me but I guess :confused3: I was too busy wasting $$$ and time. Installed the 12’s put it in 4wd on loose dirt and absolutely not good! Just ordered the 10-16.5’s. Let me know if anyone needs a new set of 12’s :thumbdown: