Craig's List

/ Craig's List #41  
Not Craigslist but neighbor. Sick of my Ford 9N hydraulics I decided to buy a newer tractor. Something from about 1980. Shooting the breeze with my neighbor I told him my plans. About a week later he says he found a tractor for me. Told me where it was so I could drive by and eyeball it. It was Yanmar YM2310. It had Bulldog 285 loader on it. Knowing nothing about Yanmars I thought it was a Bulldog 285 tractor. Looking online I saw that Bulldog 285s sold for around 2500 bucks. So I told my neighbor I was interested, figuring I would dicker on the price. Well some time goes by and I hear nothing. I drive by again and actually stop to look and realize the tractor isn't a Bulldog, it's a Yanmar. Still not knowing anything about these tractors I go home and research them a little. Turns out they make good machines so I bug my neighbor to contact the the guy because I was interested. The guy tells my neighbor he still wanted to sell so my neighbor says he will set up a meeting. Then my neighbor takes off for a week or so. I decide to approach the owner myself. I knock on his door, introduce my self and how I know of him through my neighbor and ask if he may want to sell the tractor. He says no, I apologize for bothering him, my mistake and all that. I drive off feeling kind of like a heel for just knocking on his door like that. Later that day I see my neighbor is home so I tell him what I did and when he speaks again to the guy please apologize again for me for just showing up on his doorstep. So while my neighbor and I are drinking a beer he emails the guy and he has changed his mind, wants to sell the tractor. He wants a fair price, $2500.00. By now, after looking at these tractors online I knew 2500 bucks was a steal for a good running 2310 complete with a like new loader. After all that back and forth I now have a Yanmar YM2310 with a loader, box blade with rippers that looks almost new, and clamp on forks that runs great.

/ Craig's List #42  
Back in the newspaper ad days, I had a wheeler/dealer coworker who liked to mess with people. He told the story of an "entitled" customer who got a little abusive when he found out "his" item had already been sold. When the customer finally asked what the item sold for, the seller lied; telling him a sales price much lower, just to make that customer feel extra bad.

Coworker's other needling trick was buying an item at the full asking price rather than negotiating, if the price was reasonable. Coworker said the money he may have left on the table was worth making the seller wonder if he had asked too little.

What a world...
When I buy used, my rule of thumb is 50% of new price if it's in good condition, less if it's ratted up. Lately I have seen absurd prices on CL, but if they can find a sucker, more power to them. I let them know up front that I have no intention of meeting their asking price. Neither of us needs to waste the time if there's no deal.

When I sell OBO it's to get it out of my sight. No reasonable offer refused. When I sell Firm and someone offers less, the price goes up by the same amount they tried to cut me.

/ Craig's List #44  
When I buy used, my rule of thumb is 50% of new price if it's in good condition, less if it's ratted up.
That don't always apply, especially with larger pre 4 units. Pre 4 units are increasing daily in value no matter what condition they are in as buyers come to the realization that anything post 4 can ultimately have emissions issues. One reason why Kubota changed their corporate policy to, if a dealer repowers a tractor with a new engine, the old engine has to be made inoperative and scrapped. They don't want pre 4 engines to be rebuilt by engine rebuilders and sold on the open market. Take that old motor pout back and use it for target practice before tossing it in the scrap can...

/ Craig's List #45  
That don't always apply, especially with larger pre 4 units. Pre 4 units are increasing daily in value no matter what condition they are in as buyers come to the realization that anything post 4 can ultimately have emissions issues. One reason why Kubota changed their corporate policy to, if a dealer repowers a tractor with a new engine, the old engine has to be made inoperative and scrapped. They don't want pre 4 engines to be rebuilt by engine rebuilders and sold on the open market. Take that old motor pout back and use it for target practice before tossing it in the scrap can...
I'm pretty sure that is an EPA rule, you can only sell a new non-tier 4 engine to replace an identical non-tier 4 engine and the old engine has to be made inoperable and non-repairable.

Aaron Z

/ Craig's List #48  
I enjoy negotiating with clowns who want to buy my stuff with their ”rules of thumb” or “the most they will pay”, or “I only have $xxx dollars on me”, or all their arbitrary little rules.
Last time I checked, the buyer can offer whatever he wants, but the seller dictates the price.
Sure, I ask more than I really want and hope to get it, but sometimes you have to give a little. At this point in my life, when someone says they are coming to buy, I tell them I’m NOT haggling on the price.
And no “tire kickers”
ahahahahahaha

/ Craig's List #49  
Another humorous tactic from buyers on CL:
Q: Yes, I’m calling about the wheelbarrow you have for sale on Craigslist List”?
A: “yes, thanks for calling, I still have the wheelbarrow“
Q: “I see you have it advertised for $75…..I live 2 hours away….it’s a long drive to your house….would you take $50”?

So the buyer wants a seller to take less because he has to drive a long way?
It aint my fault you decided to shop for a wheelbarrow 2 hours from your home. I’m not selling stuff on CL to pay for your gas. Lol

/ Craig's List #50  
I sold a camera as having "about 7500 shutter activations." The lifetime of the shutter is 150,000 activations, so it was essentially unused. When the buyer got the camera he hounded me for an explanation why there were 7865 activations. I ended up telling him that he got an almost new camera and needs to go find something else to do. That was Ebay and the problem with them is that they will give the $ back to the buyer and make you pay the return postage on the item.