Craig's List

/ Craig's List #31  
Hooo boy you must be rolling in cash. Tractor House ad prices are insane.
Im still on CL, but I admit things move real slow there now.

Used to sell hay on CL, but stopped. I have had steady buyers for over 10 years. No need to advertise.
I disagree that their prices are out of line, if they were their weekly sales flyer (I get one weekly as I'm a seller on there) aren't not out of line at all. I paid 250 bucks up front for the insertion which I got back (and then some) when I sold it for the price they suggested. All about seamless transactions. CL and to some extent Facebook Marketplace aren't. Don't do tire kickers well anyway.

Recent weekly ad flyer is over 100 pages thick btw. Everything from hay tools to huge tractors and combines and everything in between and I'm on the registered bidders list and have bid on various equipment in the past and will do so in the future but I set a limit far as what I'll pay and bid at my maximum and let TH incrementally increase my bid to my maximum. if it exceeds what I believe an item is worth, I never increase that bid.

Almost every equipment dealer advertises on TH as well as individuals. Unlimited color pictures included and assistance from them as far as pricing and which markets to target. They know what they are doing but like everything else in life, one has to pay to play. If you care to, look up Sandhills publishing on the net. You don't become a multi million dollar company by overcharging on sales. They have got it down to a science and are excellent at what they do.

The no cost platforms are purely a crapshoot. Besides, I don't like to barter with strangers or put up with low ballers and tire kickers. One, don't have the time and two don't have the patience.

My local Kubota dealer is also listing on TH now. He has a ton of used equipment to sell as well as new equipment and he's doing real well with TH plus on the big stuff that requires specialized hauling and permits, TH makes those arrangements too. Always only a positive arrangement for me and unlike you, I'm not rolling in cash but I don't like dealing with tire kickers and low ballers.

Finally, as a rule I don't buy used ag equipment unless I know exactly what I'm buying, case in point, last spring I bought a used but well cared for Kuhn Masterdrive rake from a somewhat local seller on TH and I inspected the equipment before I even placed a bid on it. I don't buy sight unseen and most times I buy new. The Kuhn was in mint condition so I bid on it and got it for what I was willing to pay.

I've learned that buying used equipment most times is buying something with issues and I don't do issues very well. One, I don't have the time and two I don't have the patience for repairing equipment. that I bought that needs repaired. I do that plenty as it is. I always have at least one loader or mini-ex to work on in the yard. I repair and refurbish loader buckets and excavator buckets and rebush pivots but I get paid for doing it and it's all heavy work.

Last edited:
   / Craig's List #32  
I disagree that their prices are out of line, if they were their weekly sales flyer (I get one weekly as I'm a seller on there) aren't not out of line at all. I paid 250 bucks up front for the insertion which I got back (and then some) when I sold it for the price they suggested. All about seamless transactions. CL and to some extent Facebook Marketplace aren't. Don't do tire kickers well anyway.

Recent weekly ad flyer is over 100 pages thick btw. Everything from hay tools to huge tractors and combines and everything in between and I'm on the registered bidders list and have bid on various equipment in the past and will do so in the future but I set a limit far as what I'll pay and bid at my maximum and let TH incrementally increase my bid to my maximum. if it exceeds what I believe an item is worth, I never increase that bid.

Almost every equipment dealer advertises on TH as well as individuals. Unlimited color pictures included and assistance from them as far as pricing and which markets to target. They know what they are doing but like everything else in life, one has to pay to play. If you care to, look up Sandhills publishing on the net. You don't become a multi million dollar company by overcharging on sales. They have got it down to a science and are excellent at what they do.

The no cost platforms are purely a crapshoot. Besides, I don't like to barter with strangers or put up with low ballers and tire kickers. One, don't have the time and two don't have the patience.

My local Kubota dealer is also listing on TH now. He has a ton of used equipment to sell as well as new equipment and he's doing real well with TH plus on the big stuff that requires specialized hauling and permits, TH makes those arrangements too. Always only a positive arrangement for me and unlike you, I'm not rolling in cash but I don't like dealing with tire kickers and low ballers.

Whats your opinion on tire kickers?

/ Craig's List #33  
My shop rate for bucket rebuilds and hardfacing as well as rebushing trunnion's is 100 bucks an hour and I have a very steady flow of customers and turn away a lot of work because what I do is a hard to find thing and it takes heavy equipment and machines to do it. Right now I have 2 Komatsu mini ex's and one articulated loader bucket sitting to be worked on. Both Komatsu's need serious bucket work, new grouser teeth and the pivots rebushed plus one needs a hydraulic grapple fitted to the stick and the articulated bucket needs a side sheet completely replaced plus it needs the 'smile' taken out of the cutting lip. All heavy fabrication work.

Like doing it, makes me some good jack but buying used and someone else's issues to fix, I don't play that well.

/ Craig's List #36  
I've sold on CL in the past, but it continually got worse for scammers and tire kickers, so I gave the Marketplace a try which was better as most times I could find the member and get an idea of who I might be dealing with. Lately however there seems to be a new trick where the 'potential' buyer appears to create a 'group' that hides the person behind a seemingly false name such as 'Sandy Koufax' (baseball legend) as one response I got on an item I had for sale. I had another similar one that the person I found on FB was a couple states away and from a few of the pics he posted might have more than a few friends 'in the hood' so to speak. I couldn't see him wanting a fruit press.
I do use a local police station internet sales parking area when I can and it's worked well.

/ Craig's List #37  
My shop rate for bucket rebuilds and hardfacing as well as rebushing trunnion's is 100 bucks an hour and I have a very steady flow of customers and turn away a lot of work because what I do is a hard to find thing and it takes heavy equipment and machines to do it. Right now I have 2 Komatsu mini ex's and one articulated loader bucket sitting to be worked on. Both Komatsu's need serious bucket work, new grouser teeth and the pivots rebushed plus one needs a hydraulic grapple fitted to the stick and the articulated bucket needs a side sheet completely replaced plus it needs the 'smile' taken out of the cutting lip. All heavy fabrication work.

Like doing it, makes me some good jack but buying used and someone else's issues to fix, I don't play that well.
Well, you aint making hardly nothing farming hay, so you have to supplement. Even good hay dont pay squat.
Thats why I still do large area mowing and throw up a house, garage or barn here & there and I'll do 900-1000 ton this year.
Plus I married a woman who makes some coin. Smartest thing I ever did. ;)

Far as CL goes, its still working. In fact, I think its making a bit of a comeback. Lots of people think FB is a crap hole, like me and they dont want to even be associated with it.

/ Craig's List #38  
Don't do either and I to am married to a gal that made big jack and she happens to be a Ransome E. Olds great grandaughter to boot. Family has more money than sense.

Hay is strictly a hobby write off. I don't ever want the farm to do anything but break even, which it does, by a hair. The shop is a nice, steady income and I suck with wood, unlike metal, heck I cannot even make square shelves out of wood.

Nothing used here. Everything bought new. I hate field breakdowns break even on my rentals too.. Have 3 single family homes, all in the country, all on land and all rented and I farm the land.

Only thing getting older is the tractors but you already know how I feel about T4 junk.

/ Craig's List
Don't do either and I to am married to a gal that made big jack and she happens to be a Ransome E. Olds great grandaughter to boot. Family has more money than sense.

Hay is strictly a hobby write off. I don't ever want the farm to do anything but break even, which it does, by a hair. The shop is a nice, steady income and I suck with wood, unlike metal, heck I cannot even make square shelves out of wood.

Nothing used here. Everything bought new. I hate field breakdowns break even on my rentals too.. Have 3 single family homes, all in the country, all on land and all rented and I farm the land.

Only thing getting older is the tractors but you already know how I feel about T4 junk.
does your wife have any rich .....i mean single...... sisters, maybe with a hurst olds or 442?

/ Craig's List #40  
Back in the newspaper ad days, I had a wheeler/dealer coworker who liked to mess with people. He told the story of an "entitled" customer who got a little abusive when he found out "his" item had already been sold. When the customer finally asked what the item sold for, the seller lied; telling him a sales price much lower, just to make that customer feel extra bad.

Coworker's other needling trick was buying an item at the full asking price rather than negotiating, if the price was reasonable. Coworker said the money he may have left on the table was worth making the seller wonder if he had asked too little.

What a world...