01'JD 4110 how to check alternator?

/ 01'JD 4110 how to check alternator?
Interesting! Yes battery dead every few days/all started 2 wks ago iirc. I had found cells at both ends very low-or dry, so I filled w/distilled water. A friend said battery may be fault too? Those stupid things are $110.00...what a rip!

/ 01'JD 4110 how to check alternator? #13  
Low voltage while running also could be bad glow plug timer module...disconnect module wiring harness and see if voltage comes up to normal.

I think the battery **** the bed! prolly my fault since I did no maintainance on it since replacing4-6 yrs ago:( I bought a new 1 today but havent installed yet. I'm monitoring the battery voltage now which seems to be ever so slowly decreasing....but the other fact is that the charging system is functioning but eng.dies when + is removed promptly BUT if slowly wiggled of or simply retapped eng stays running?? That seems to be "very peculiar"? Thanks for the ideas..who knows? cause I'm not there yet..lol

/ 01'JD 4110 how to check alternator? #15  
It should shut off when battery is removed because of the fuel shut off relay looses power. By taking the battery cable off you are sending voltage spikes through the wiring. It is possible to short out the controller. It is yours and you can do as you like, but I would not. There are better ways to test parts than that.

/ 01'JD 4110 how to check alternator? #16  
prolly my fault since I did no maintainance on it since replacing4-6 yrs ago

Probably is a bad battery, after all those years.

In the OP, you stated
Not charging newer diehard

Doesn't sound 'newer" to me. ;)

Did you check the battery voltage with it running? If charging it should be 14-16 volts.
There is a regulator. Two different ones, depends if you have the 20 or 35 amp alternator.
Does the battery light work on your dash? It should light at start (bulb check) and go out if charging, or stay on if not charging. A burnt out bulb will prevent charging.
Long time with light on, then off, then on? Put a new interstate battery in last year. I ran a small sprayer for 2+hrs then it sat for 4 hrs then went to start…stone dead so I charged overnight & just checked at 2k rpm- 12.1v at battery? Any ideas?

/ 01'JD 4110 how to check alternator? #18  
What has been happening over the last 7 years with this problem? Is it the same, or was it once fixed and now is happening again?

No the light has been acting up for years but now more frequent.

/ 01'JD 4110 how to check alternator? #20  
Remove alternator and have it checked at parts store. Disconnecting battery cable when engine is running is not a good way to test an alternator.

I bought a tractor battery a few months ago and it was $150. Last car battery was $200.

Could be a bad voltage regulator. Could be bad wiring. Could be stuck relays. Multimeter that reads amps when engine is not running can help a person find power leaks. The ohms setting can help find bad wiring.