100 HP ytractors

/ 100 HP ytractors #1  

kenmac

Tractor
McCormick CX105 Kubota MX 5100 HST, Kubota ZD1021, Kawsaki Mule 4010 trans 4x4
I'm kicking around the idea of a 100 HP cab tractor.
There appears to be many new / used ones of every brand on the market with very low hours.

My worriers are, with all these tractors on the market being fairly new /low hour tractors, why are people selling them ?
Are the owners having too many problems with the new electronics, DPF, DEF, etc, so they are just dumping them ?

Makes one in the market wonder why so many of these DPF / DPF tractors are being dumped !

I sure don't want to purchase something that is going to give nothing buy problems. Not many pre DPF/ DEF 100 HP cab tractors for sale in my area to chose from

/ 100 HP ytractors #2  
At 100hp I assume a lot of those are commercial. Either the business failed, the needs changed or they were over extended with credit. The emissions have been out long enough that no brand is having enough issues to force everyone to sell. If they did it would be all over the Internet.

/ 100 HP ytractors #3  
100 HP is too small for large farm operations and too big for most hobby farms.Closest farm to me;their smallest is 120 HP and seldom used.

/ 100 HP ytractors #4  
A lot of what's for sale in ag sized equipment are harvest rental machines. Farms use them for a period of time and return them to the dealer. A lot them I've seen are 200-500hr machines. They were probably maintained properly and any bugs with electronics, emissions, etc. are probably all worked out. We have 5 newer machines (Kubota and Deere) and haven't had a single emissions issue.

/ 100 HP ytractors #5  
At 100hp I assume a lot of those are commercial. Either the business failed, the needs changed or they were over extended with credit. The emissions have been out long enough that no brand is having enough issues to force everyone to sell. If they did it would be all over the Internet.

Tier 4 engines are electronics are still troublesome and very expensive to repair for one. Secondly, it's a bad year for farming in general so many farmers are selling off equipment to reduce payment overhead. If you don't have it coming is, time to sell off. Payments don't stop just because you have a bad year.

Far as 100 horse tractors go, they aren't big tillage units but most farmers around here have a few for things like planting, ditch mowing and cultivating which aren't horsepower intensive.

Pre Tier 4 tractors are in high demand and command premium prices simply because most people (like me) who use their tractors in an ag setting don't want the hassle of an unexpected breakdown, reduce power (they derate when they have an issue) and then have to wait for the service truck to come out and hopefully cure the issue.

I run 2 pre tier 4 units, one with a cab and one without and while I don't farm 1000's of acres what I do farm, the just under 100 horse units do a fine job.

additionally, the Tier 4 tractors use a lot more fuel than a pre-tier 4 and some even have DEF injection, another added expense.

Given a choice, I prefer a mechanically injected no emissions hardware (junk) tractor. less complex means less issues.

/ 100 HP ytractors #6  
100 HP is too small for large farm operations and too big for most hobby farms.Closest farm to me;their smallest is 120 HP and seldom used.

Yep. It's a delicate market size. It's also a large market size. That's why there are so many for sale.

I consider 100HP Utility tractors as the largest.

I consider 120HP AG tractors as the smallest.

This leaves a confusing area. Each manufacturer approaches this area differently. Good for us because there's unlimited choices. :)

/ 100 HP ytractors

well, it is on the net on kubota sites. I was talking with local kubota dealer the other day and asked specifically if they were having issues with the kubota.
He indicated they were having issues with DEF units, and that some reps from Kubota were in their shop not long ago trying to come up with a resolution to the problem

one issue is, DEF is easily contaminated due to it's short shelf life

The used (fairly new tractors) I see for sale are all DEF tractors. Which leads me to believe that kubota isn't the only ones having issues.

Most commercial farmers I know run larger tractors that 100 hp. 150-200+ hp

I now have a 51 hp.non cab. If I'm going to purchase a cab tractor, it needs to be at least 100 HP to make up for the lost power due to A/C and to pull a 12-15 ft bat wing.

Makes No sense for me to buy a 70 hp tractor, lose 10 hp due to A/C. Now I only have a 60 HP tractor.
I only gain 10 HP over what I already have

/ 100 HP ytractors
I have located an Kubota M9960 cab. I haven't called about it yet. It's listed as non DEF, but I don't know if it's non DPF

suppose to be an 8 speed hyd. shuttle trans 1070 hrs. I intend to call about it next week to see if it's non DPF.

I was just wondering if anyone here has heard, or know first hand problems with all tractors having DEF issues,or is it just kubota

I looked at Mahindra as they claim no DPF ,or DEF. but when you get to the upper HP engines, they also use DEF. I just haven't heard of any Mahindra DEF /DPF issues but I'm sure Kubota isn't the only ones having issues

/ 100 HP ytractors #9  
I have located an Kubota M9960 cab. I haven't called about it yet. It's listed as non DEF, but I don't know if it's non DPF

suppose to be an 8 speed hyd. shuttle trans 1070 hrs. I intend to call about it next week to see if it's non DPF.

I was just wondering if anyone here has heard, or know first hand problems with all tractors having DEF issues,or is it just kubota

I looked at Mahindra as they claim no DPF ,or DEF. but when you get to the upper HP engines, they also use DEF. I just haven't heard of any Mahindra DEF /DPF issues but I'm sure Kubota isn't the only ones having issues
That’s because Mahindra uses DOC instead of DEF or DPF.

/ 100 HP ytractors #10  
I'm kicking around the idea of a 100 HP cab tractor.
There appears to be many new / used ones of every brand on the market with very low hours.

My worriers are, with all these tractors on the market being fairly new /low hour tractors, why are people selling them ?
Are the owners having too many problems with the new electronics, DPF, DEF, etc, so they are just dumping them ?

Makes one in the market wonder why so many of these DPF / DPF tractors are being dumped !

I sure don't want to purchase something that is going to give nothing buy problems. Not many pre DPF/ DEF 100 HP cab tractors for sale in my area to chose from

My ever so humble opinion is this..............unless you come from a background of tractors you can be quickly deceived by a 100hp tractor. A lot of them are light weight with an embellished power rating when you compare them to 100hp tractors of 20 yrs ago. You have to move up in classes for truly bigger stuff.

The majority of 100hp tractors were substantially heavier and the HP rating was just that, when it said 100hp it was 100hp to the PTO not 70.

So whats happened to some is they buy a tractor thinking they can do the job they need/want to do and then they dont have the traction or power they were expecting and are frustrated especially when mowing THICK things, dragging HEAVY tillage equip, Picking up and moving things with a loader etc......

I have seen this happen and experienced it when working for others.

Example 5525 john deere - friend buys one to do batwing mowing on his CRP - warm season grasses/switchgrass/indian grass/big blue stem taller than the tractor - rated at 91 or 2 hp he says i can mow anything that white 105 will mow blah blah.........and i can pull anything you can with that white 105 i have FWA.

Guess who couldnt mow with the 15' batwing w/out going slower and overheating and couldnt drag a root plow with his FWA and who got pulled out with the 105 in the snow that year.

There is NO substitution for Weight and Power - be sure you research what you will be doing and match that with what it takes to do the job comfortably not on the fringe of specs

There is nothing more tiring than working with a piece of equipment that is marginal for your tractor and having to mentally stay on top of things to get the work done. I have learned over the years to buy it the right size the first time. You dont tear things up as much and get things done easier and less stressed. Less wear and tear make a lot of difference with you and the equipment and allows you to enjoy what you are doing.