$1000 Coolant Change

/ $1000 Coolant Change
I am not a member and can not access pic. My deposits when dry look like wall joint compound and gritty, caukly
The Kubota dealer has never seen this type of coolant problem.

/ $1000 Coolant Change #42  
man, a product that can cause that kind of damage if mixed with another similar product shouldnt even be allowed to be sold. it would be like mixing unleaded with supreme fuel would cause sludge to seize up your engine.

/ $1000 Coolant Change #43  
That's weird. I can see them without a membership. In the posts the deposits almost look like spray foam.

/ $1000 Coolant Change #45  
Interesting article, particularly for Chrysler owners. The website for Fleet Charge makes no mention of either HOAT or OAT formulation, simply calls it an ethylene glycol based product. This reminds me of the early days of synthetic oils, when mixing with dino oils could be a disaster.
I picked up some extra coolant for my 2013 Ram a few months ago, the parts guy was very particular about asking the year and model, now I know why.

Sean

/ $1000 Coolant Change #46  
I just had another radiator flushed & refilled with the 'long-life green' stuff which IS compatible with the other, older green glycol/silicate coolant. (IMO, using orange or purple just begs confusion by anyone topping up a system.)

The crud in the linked pics reminds me of what happens when fatigued (but not 'silicate'?) coolants lose additive strength and aluminum reacts galvanically to grow it on itself or migrate elsewhere. (Hey remember when the guy who pumped your gas and checked your oil trickled your coolant onto a refractometer to check its PH? How did that simple thing this ever get away from us??) Anyway, the non-green coolants are presumed to need less additive endurance to be aluminum-safe (galvanic corrosion) over their 'long life'.

It's hard to trust a flush to get all the old stuff out. It's also mind boggling that a pro shop's gear can vacuum a system with the engine running & not harm something somehow (overheat?). MSTB! (btw: Refill on my last one was 90%+ of 'rated' capacity & they let the chatty old guy watch close so I don't gobble all the 'complementary' donuts & drain the coffee pot. :D ) The OP is past all that now :)( ), but I'd bet on a nice day a guy might wheel his rig out to a trailer and give a tractor a good go.

What if a service agent had switched coolants in practice (purple/orange) and not been aware of the potential issue when repeat customers showed up. :eek:

The stuff does NOT stay good as long as the color looks good. Changing it should be insurance vs a nightmare. (Accountability for the $$ over this?)

/ $1000 Coolant Change #47  
HOAT mixed with OAT damage.

D90-head.jpg

D90-waterpump.jpg

DSC01712.jpg

Glycol and OAT

glycol and oat mix.jpg

/ $1000 Coolant Change #48  
That's weird. I can see them without a membership. In the posts the deposits almost look like spray foam.

I see them too and I think you got it. I hope I'm wrong.

/ $1000 Coolant Change #49  
What if a service agent had switched coolants in practice (purple/orange) and not been aware of the potential issue when repeat customers showed up. :eek:

This is a huge deal now with the new RAMS 13's a 14's. Apparently the dealers were not even aware of the potential problems with mixing these coolants, and were adding the wrong coolant during the PDI. You WILL see a recall on this in the near future.