$10k budget-12 acres mixed use...first tractor.

/ $10k budget-12 acres mixed use...first tractor. #1  

Millhouse

Tractor
none
I'm in the process of purchasing a little over 12 acres that is currently almost all cleared. We will need to mow/brush hog around 4-5 acres of it. Around 3 will be devoted to planting crops for deer. A half to an acre will be devoted to a garden. There is one mildly sloping hill. The tractor will be used for gardening, plowing, mowing, post hole digging, carrying food for animals, maintaining driveways etc.

I'm looking at a used budget of under $10k including a FEL. 2WD vs 4WD seems to be the million dollar question. Everyone is telling me I have to get a 4WD, but it's tough under $10k to find 4X4 tractor worth a darn, but I'm keeping my eyes peeled.

It seems to me, some of the smaller subcompact tractors are just too small to for plowing, speed and FEL work. Am I wrong?

Not to try get into another 2WD vs 4WD debate, but what else would be missing by going with a heavier duty 2WD tractor than a lighter duty 4WD unit? Summers here in the south (South Carolina) results in hard rock clay. It doesn't seem to get nearly as muddy as the north. When it snows (it doesn't snow every year), it's never more than a few inches at a time.

I'm looking for some recommendations on what to look for, and what to look out for (this will be our first tractor). Diesel is obviously a must have, but sacrifices have to be made to stay within budget.

/ $10k budget-12 acres mixed use...first tractor. #2  
Is the 10k budget intended to cover implements also?
I might consider an older tractor - 60's.
Enough power, heavy enough to somewhat compensate for 2WD only, and inexpensive enough to allow for implement purchase.
And look for one with no power steering and with a metal seat. I hear it builds character.

/ $10k budget-12 acres mixed use...first tractor.
Is the 10k budget intended to cover implements also?
I might consider an older tractor - 60's.
Enough power, heavy enough to somewhat compensate for 2WD only, and inexpensive enough to allow for implement purchase.
And look for one with no power steering and with a metal seat. I hear it builds character.

At least the FEL, yes. Hopefully I can snag one with a brush hog as well. The rest I should be able to pick up used as I need them.

/ $10k budget-12 acres mixed use...first tractor. #4  
Might consider looking at "public auctions".
Right now there is an auction near me:
Auction #2152321 - Kubota M4700 4WD Tractor w/ Front Loading Bucket

I bought the same model yr tractor from the same place for $11,500 back in 2013.

attachment.php

I don't know about auctions down near you but it seems that one can get well maintained equipment from public auctions at times at bargain prices.

Attachments

• IMG_20151207_150524186_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20151207_150524186_HDR.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 1,637
   / $10k budget-12 acres mixed use...first tractor.

I bought the same model yr tractor from the same place for $11,500 back in 2013.

I don't know about auctions down near you but it seems that one can get well maintained equipment from public auctions at times at bargain prices.

Good to know! I had no idea, thanks!

/ $10k budget-12 acres mixed use...first tractor. #6  
Look into the John Deere 850/855/950 series tractors. Built in Japan by Yanmar they’re bulletproof and can easily be found for under $10K with 4wd and loader.

/ $10k budget-12 acres mixed use...first tractor. #7  
Auction #2152321 - Kubota M4700 4WD Tractor w/ Front Loading Bucket

566575d1534176461-10k-budget-12-acres-mixed-img_20151207_150524186_hdr-jpg

In Ohio public equipment auctions have well used expensive equipment. Typically several thousand more than similar equipment at farm auction

/ $10k budget-12 acres mixed use...first tractor. #8  
Don’t know what tractors cost in your neck of the woods but you can buy a pretty nice 27-30hp tractor around here for $9000.

The 4 wheel drive is good to have but doesn’t sound like you need it if you buy the right tractor with the right tires. That said, If you get a year thats unusually wet you will wish you had the 4x4. A lot of times when buying used you don’t pay a heck of a lot more for the 4wd. When your looking, you want to know how many hours are on the tractor.

/ $10k budget-12 acres mixed use...first tractor. #9  
I looked around your area on craigslist. Surprisingly few loader tractors. Around here used Massey Ferguson and Allis Chalmers farm tractors seem to be the most bang for the buck. 2wd farm tractors would do what you need. I had an 850 John Deere and it was a really good tractor.

/ $10k budget-12 acres mixed use...first tractor. #10  
Leave half your budget for implements. You can find excellent tractors from the 60's for $5k. Don't be afraid of gas rather than diesel--some of the old gas tractors (MF35, Oliver) are powerful and reliable. I would be sure to have a modern PTO (either independent or two-stage clutch)--that's maybe more important than 4WD.