$10k budget-12 acres mixed use...first tractor.

/ $10k budget-12 acres mixed use...first tractor. #11  
Look into the John Deere 850/855/950 series tractors. Built in Japan by Yanmar theyæ±*e bulletproof and can easily be found for under $10K with 4wd and loader.

Second that. I recently bought a 4WD JD 855 with FEL, mmm, back blade, rototiller, brush hog, rake and boom for $3500. It had 1100 hrs but was not maintained well. Spent $2500 to get it repaired. I looked for a long time so patience is needed

/ $10k budget-12 acres mixed use...first tractor. #12  
I shopped for many months before I found my tractor. Used with 175 hours for $9000. Had to drive 5 hours each way to get it in PA, but so far has been one of the best purchases I have made. Be patient until you find a great deal. In the meantime, keep your eyes out for implements. I bought my King Kutter rototiller before I bought my tractor.

/ $10k budget-12 acres mixed use...first tractor. #13  
21 years ago I bought a Yanmar 2810 and cheaped out for the 2 WD. It is about a 73 model. Regretted ever since for not going for a 4WD. I have 10 acres in eastern OK and so many times the 2WD struggles to do the job. The tractor? Doesn't owe me a dime. Been working it ever since. My advise is go for the older 30-40 hp, 4WD diesel and you will be a happy camper.

/ $10k budget-12 acres mixed use...first tractor. #14  
21 years ago I bought a Yanmar 2810 and cheaped out for the 2 WD. It is about a 73 model. Regretted ever since for not going for a 4WD. I have 10 acres in eastern OK and so many times the 2WD struggles to do the job. The tractor? Doesn't owe me a dime. Been working it ever since. My advise is go for the older 30-40 hp, 4WD diesel and you will be a happy camper.

A 2wd Yanmar is not the same beast as a 2wd farm tractor. I agree that if you are talking about a CUT, then 4wd is a must. If you are talking about a farm tractor from the 60s or 70s, 2wd will provide sufficient traction (just watch them work in the fields).

/ $10k budget-12 acres mixed use...first tractor.
Don’t know what tractors cost in your neck of the woods but you can buy a pretty nice 27-30hp tractor around here for $9000.

The 4 wheel drive is good to have but doesn’t sound like you need it if you buy the right tractor with the right tires. That said, If you get a year thats unusually wet you will wish you had the 4x4. A lot of times when buying used you don’t pay a heck of a lot more for the 4wd. When your looking, you want to know how many hours are on the tractor.

They seem to cost a small fortune…which is my dilemma. As much as I’d love to buy a bigger/better tractor, I’ll be building a house in a year and really need to be conservative on some purchases. On the flip side, I’ll likely need the tractor to build the house.

I looked around your area on craigslist. Surprisingly few loader tractors. Around here used Massey Ferguson and Allis Chalmers farm tractors seem to be the most bang for the buck. 2wd farm tractors would do what you need. I had an 850 John Deere and it was a really good tractor.

Very few, and the ones available are either 2WD or well over $10k. I’m not opposed to 2WD, I’m just trying to find out what I really need rather than what everyone is telling me I need. I take it the 750/850 models are common enough to be fairly cheap to work on?

Leave half your budget for implements. You can find excellent tractors from the 60's for $5k. Don't be afraid of gas rather than diesel--some of the old gas tractors (MF35, Oliver) are powerful and reliable. I would be sure to have a modern PTO (either independent or two-stage clutch)--that's maybe more important than 4WD.

That unfortunately is going to be nearly impossible. I’ll likely have to add implements as I need them and budget…unless I can find a killer package deal.

I shopped for many months before I found my tractor. Used with 175 hours for $9000. Had to drive 5 hours each way to get it in PA, but so far has been one of the best purchases I have made. Be patient until you find a great deal. In the meantime, keep your eyes out for implements. I bought my King Kutter rototiller before I bought my tractor.

Great point! I looked outside of my 60 mile comfort zone and see quite a few more options. A road trip may be necessary for a purchase like this if deals can’t be had in my area.

I’m curious, what type of work have you struggled with 2WD?

If I could find an older 30-40hp 4WD diesel within budget, I’d be all over it. I’ll do a few searches and post some links to get an idea of what type of “deal” can be had.

Here is the best deal I can find semi-locally on a decent sized 4x4.

Tractor / Front Loader / 4x4 / Hydrostatic / 35Hp - farm & garden - by owner - sale

Another within a couple hours

25 yanmar tractor - farm & garden - by owner - sale

Here is a big JD 2640. Too big?

John Deere 264 - farm & garden - by owner - sale

A 4300

2 John Deere 43 - Compact Utility Tractors - John Deere MachineFinder

Or a 1070 for $7k…but about a 4-5 hour (one way) trip.

1989 John Deere 1:p - Compact Utility Tractors - John Deere MachineFinder

I’m not in a position yet to purchase any of these. It would be nice however to figure out exactly what to look for before driving long distance. Are there any tractors to avoid?

/ $10k budget-12 acres mixed use...first tractor. #17  
I would use the $10,000 for downpayment on a new tractor package. 30hp Tractor, box blade, bush hog, and trailer can be bought for $20,000. If you don't need the trailer you could sell it for $2000 and be into it for $18000. I just went through the same thing, same budget except I have to clear about 6 acres. I bought a used 50hp Kubota that need work for $7500. I'm into it for around $13000 now after implements, tires, repairs etc. Instead of working on the tractor you can be working on your land. Wishing I had bought new.

I would use the $10,000 for downpayment on a new tractor package. 30hp Tractor, box blade, bush hog, and trailer can be bought for $20,000. If you don't need the trailer you could sell it for $2000 and be into it for $18000. I just went through the same thing, same budget except I have to clear about 6 acres. I bought a used 50hp Kubota that need work for $7500. I'm into it for around $13000 now after implements, tires, repairs etc. Instead of working on the tractor you can be working on your land. Wishing I had bought new.

Understandable. Everybody has a budget though, and new is not in mine. Our goal is to have the land and the new house paid off in 7 years or less. Taking on more debt with a new tractor will be counterproductive towards that goal.

/ $10k budget-12 acres mixed use...first tractor. #19  
Where can we find a new 50HP kubota for $13K?
I bought my M4700 (used w/1400hrs) for $11.5K, have spent about another $2K (hoses, front tires, a cylinder) on IT and have spent maybe $7K on attachments.

Now an almost identical sale just occurred today at the same place and that M4700 went for about $12.5K.

/ $10k budget-12 acres mixed use...first tractor. #20  
Where can we find a new 50HP kubota for $13K?
I bought my M4700 (used w/1400hrs) for $11.5K, have spent about another $2K (hoses, front tires, a cylinder) on IT and have spent maybe $7K on attachments.

Now an almost identical sale just occurred today at the same place and that M4700 went for about $12.5K.

Never said new 50hp for $13000. I bought my 50hp Kubota used for $7500 and am into it for around $13000 total for repairs and implements. I know I will have to replace hoses and other things that pop up frequently, that will all add up which is why I suggested buying new. For cleared land a new 6 year warranty 30hp 4X4, with a bush hog, box blade and loader for $18000 seems like a better deal than a well used 1000 plus hour tractor for $13000 even if it is a bigger tractor. If his $10000 budget includes implements then he is looking for the same unicorn I was.