$10k budget-12 acres mixed use...first tractor.

/ $10k budget-12 acres mixed use...first tractor. #21  
Auctions?

We have a couple of farm equipment auctions every year in my area.
Sometimes you find good deals - sometimes you shake your head at how high the bids go.

But auctions may be worth a try.

/ $10k budget-12 acres mixed use...first tractor.
How about these.

Branson 3510 with FEL and 534 hours for $8500

or

MF 1533 With FEL, 6' Brush Hog, 8 Disc Harrow, Auger Drill, Fork lift, Sowing Medge with 360 hours for $10000

/ $10k budget-12 acres mixed use...first tractor. #23  
   / $10k budget-12 acres mixed use...first tractor. #24  
How about these.

Branson 3510 with FEL and 534 hours for $8500

or

MF 1533 With FEL, 6' Brush Hog, 8 Disc Harrow, Auger Drill, Fork lift, Sowing Medge with 360 hours for $10000

I don't know anything about Branson but the Massey sounds like a decent deal to me IF it has been taken care of and hasn't been beat up..

/ $10k budget-12 acres mixed use...first tractor. #25  
. . .

I just gotta ask. What is a Sowing Medge?

What's the consensus on Chinese tractors?

I found a pretty clean Nortrac NT304 with a great bend 240 FL somewhat locally for $6500. Not totally sure of the hours yet.

Just got word, 579 hours...it's a tractor from 1996.

/ $10k budget-12 acres mixed use...first tractor. #28  
here's a 72 hp 2wd Ford with loader in S. Carolina.

1982 FORD 561 For Sale In Lake City, South Carolina | TractorHouse.com

For $10K, you can get a tractor like the one above, or you can get BX that is just a few years old. They are not nearly the same thing. All the tasks you listed are traditional Ag. tasks. You don't even need a loader (although they are convenient).

I think 2WD is fine. People used them for years and didn't know they needed 4WD. As long as you have decent Ag tires and properly ballast for the task you don't need 4wd.

I recommend you look in your area for used implements first. Get an idea of what is available and which is a better deal in your area between category 2 vs Category 1 implements. Once you figure out what implements you want, then find the right size tractor for them. In some areas, category 2 implements actually are less expensive on the used market. I don't know your area.

You are doing ground engaging tasks so you will appreciate a heavy tractor. Most newish ~30hp tractors don't weigh that much and aren't on your budget. But if you do find this size tractor I agree with others that you should go with 4wd because it doesn't have the weight.

I have a 45hp modern (i.e. not that heavy ~6,500 pounds with ballast & loader) 4wd tractor. If I'm grading my driveway with my 8 foot hydraulic blade I can go as deep as I want with 4wd. In 2wd, I can still get the job done, but I need to limit how deep I go and take smaller bites (but totally doable). So ball parking it, go with 30+ hp 4wd or 50+ hp 2wd. I'm betting you can find a better deal in a 50+ hp 2wd and for the tasked you described, the large 2wd tractor will get more done than the smaller 4wd as long as you don't have space restriction or hills.

/ $10k budget-12 acres mixed use...first tractor. #29  
Chinese tractors don't get much love around here. Very sketchy support seems to be the most common complaint.

here's a 72 hp 2wd Ford with loader in S. Carolina.

1982 FORD 561 For Sale In Lake City, South Carolina | TractorHouse.com

For $10K, you can get a tractor like the one above, or you can get BX that is just a few years old. They are not nearly the same thing. All the tasks you listed are traditional Ag. tasks. You don't even need a loader (although they are convenient).

I think 2WD is fine. People used them for years and didn't know they needed 4WD. As long as you have decent Ag tires and properly ballast for the task you don't need 4wd.

I recommend you look in your area for used implements first. Get an idea of what is available and which is a better deal in your area between category 2 vs Category 1 implements. Once you figure out what implements you want, then find the right size tractor for them. In some areas, category 2 implements actually are less expensive on the used market. I don't know your area.

You are doing ground engaging tasks so you will appreciate a heavy tractor. Most newish ~30hp tractors don't weigh that much and aren't on your budget. But if you do find this size tractor I agree with others that you should go with 4wd because it doesn't have the weight.

I have a 45hp modern (i.e. not that heavy ~6,500 pounds with ballast & loader) 4wd tractor. If I'm grading my driveway with my 8 foot hydraulic blade I can go as deep as I want with 4wd. In 2wd, I can still get the job done, but I need to limit how deep I go and take smaller bites (but totally doable). So ball parking it, go with 30+ hp 4wd or 50+ hp 2wd. I'm betting you can find a better deal in a 50+ hp 2wd and for the tasked you described, the large 2wd tractor will get more done than the smaller 4wd as long as you don't have space restriction or hills.

The older heavy RWD tractors are intriguing. I do have two big concerns with them, safety and fuel economy. I have no doubt they will pull anything I throw at them.

Chinese tractors don't get much love around here. Very sketchy support seems to be the most common complaint.

I'm not really concerned about support. I'll likely be doing all maintenance and repairs myself. That's not to say I want a tractor the frequently breaks down on me.