10W30 Diesel Oil Recommendations?

/ 10W30 Diesel Oil Recommendations? #31  
   / 10W30 Diesel Oil Recommendations? #32  
Never heard of the company and the additives they have added scare me. !00% synthetic oil will last forever its the additives that have a limited shelf life usually 3 years or less..

I was just looking at the shelf-life issues of oil, but failed to distinquish between conventional and synthetic per your comment. I had wanted to stock up on TSC's sale on Rotella at $3/qt for the tractor and motorcycles, so bought enough for 5 years. I could find NOTHING from Rotella on the subject. What I found was usually the recommendations are for 5 years, with exceptions.

Delo 400 5 years
http://chevron-gsc.force.com/lubeteksupport/servlet/servlet.FileDownload?file=01539000003KSec

Valvolene simply says they are stable for an extended period
General Motor Oil FAQ – Valvoline(R)

Pennzoil had the lowest recommendation at 4 years that I found, and interesting they say you don't have to shake the bottle. Guess that would be important for a large container. I had seen comments on BITOG to shake the bottle which never occurred to me, and will do so.
All Yellow FAQ | Pennzoil

Mobil 1 said 5 year maximum.
Mobil 1™ shelf life | Mobil™

My storage area doesn't change much more than 45-65 degrees F, so I'm not going to sweat it too much going a bit longer than five years. I have a feeling these are VERY conservative numbers, since it's to their benefit if you replace it. For what it's worth, Toukow

/ 10W30 Diesel Oil Recommendations? #33  
Oil in unopened containers should last virtually forever, dino or synthetic. Anyone telling you otherwise is an idiot.

Ralph

/ 10W30 Diesel Oil Recommendations? #34  
Oil in unopened containers should last virtually forever, dino or synthetic. Anyone telling you otherwise is an idiot.

Ralph

In a temperature anf humidity controled environment yes, but changes in temperature will begin to cause the hydrocarbon chains to break down over time. As for the aditive package my understanding is that is is much less stable than the oil itself good for only three years.

/ 10W30 Diesel Oil Recommendations? #35  
I was just looking at the shelf-life issues of oil, but failed to distinquish between conventional and synthetic per your comment. I had wanted to stock up on TSC's sale on Rotella at $3/qt for the tractor and motorcycles, so bought enough for 5 years. I could find NOTHING from Rotella on the subject. What I found was usually the recommendations are for 5 years, with exceptions.

Delo 400 5 years
http://chevron-gsc.force.com/lubeteksupport/servlet/servlet.FileDownload?file=01539000003KSec

Valvolene simply says they are stable for an extended period
General Motor Oil FAQ – Valvoline(R)

Pennzoil had the lowest recommendation at 4 years that I found, and interesting they say you don't have to shake the bottle. Guess that would be important for a large container. I had seen comments on BITOG to shake the bottle which never occurred to me, and will do so.
All Yellow FAQ | Pennzoil

Mobil 1 said 5 year maximum.
Mobil 1™ shelf life | Mobil™

My storage area doesn't change much more than 45-65 degrees F, so I'm not going to sweat it too much going a bit longer than five years. I have a feeling these are VERY conservative numbers, since it's to their benefit if you replace it. For what it's worth, Toukow

Good plan. i don't trust anything the manufacturer says unless it is backed by real science and company paid for science takes the shape of"info mercials". I to like to keep oil handy but am going away from that since products have become so available over the net and its there in a couple of days so now i just buy what i need..

Shelf life: Yes its to their advantage to get you to buy more oil but it is also to their advantage for their oils to delivery a long life which they cannot do after they have started to decompose. Kind of a catch 22 for them

/ 10W30 Diesel Oil Recommendations? #36  

Ralph
I think it's safe to say, no one could argue with such a well reasoned and fact based position. Thanks for sharing.

/ 10W30 Diesel Oil Recommendations? #37  
Why is it safe to say? unopened containers of a product do not have unlimited shelf life try that with an un opened bottle of milk or most other things and see what happens, especially if in a plastic container.

/ 10W30 Diesel Oil Recommendations? #39  
someone mentioned diesel additives? link?