10W30 Diesel Oil Recommendations?

/ 10W30 Diesel Oil Recommendations? #51  
Was there ever a consensus about the best 10W-30 diesel oil? I have found it in SHELL ROTELLAョ T5 ULTRA SYNTHETIC BLEND, Amsoil, and Kendall, but there must be others.

In my new tractor, I am tempted to use Amsoil simply because you can get it in quarts. I don't understand how people on Youtube are shown hefting a gallon up and pouring it in their tractor without over filling. Guess I will use an empty quart container as a measure. My tractor only holds 3.3 quarts.

Ironically I would skip the T5. Although market positioning would lead you to believe it is "better" than T 4 but not as good as T6, I consider it worse than both. In this line I would stick with T4 for long drains and moderate temps, and pick T6 for shorter drains but higher operating temperature swings ( mostly really cold).

PS I believe I had the same picks you did with regards to warranty approved viscosities, and my pick was Amsoil Signature Series Max Duty 15W40. If I was in Va, that would have just made this choice even easier.

/ 10W30 Diesel Oil Recommendations? #52  
Thanks, mangler. The more I learn about oil, the less I seem to know! If I go with a 40-weight, the 5W-40 Mobil Delvac 1 ESP looks good. But my owner's manual only lists 10W-30 and 15W-40. So I will look at that Amsoil you mention along with their 10W-30.

/ 10W30 Diesel Oil Recommendations? #55  
Amsoil 10W30.

If you are set on 10W30 that would be my pick also. I found it lacking when compared with the Amsoil 15W40, but I am notoriously picky about my lubricants :)

/ 10W30 Diesel Oil Recommendations? #56  
If you are set on 10W30 that would be my pick also. I found it lacking when compared with the Amsoil 15W40, but I am notoriously picky about my lubricants :)

I run 5w40 year round in the tractor, works excellent for me.

/ 10W30 Diesel Oil Recommendations? #57  
Unless I’m wrong, there’s no reason you can’t go with a lower winter (W) rating than what is specified in your owners manual. Lower W numbers will simply allow the oil to flow better in colder temperatures. I also can’t imagine using a 30 or 40 weight oil would matter either.

Engine failures, even using cheapo oils, don’t seem to pop up ever. My experience seems to tell me that using good filters and changing oil at proper intervals is the key to long engine life.

For the record, I have used either Delo or Rotella in almost every engine I’ve owned for about 35 years.
The exception to this is that I run Mobil 0W-20 synthetic in my wife’s Highlander and daughter’s Corolla.

/ 10W30 Diesel Oil Recommendations? #58  
Unless I’m wrong, there’s no reason you can’t go with a lower winter (W) rating than what is specified in your owners manual. Lower W numbers will simply allow the oil to flow better in colder temperatures. I also can’t imagine using a 30 or 40 weight oil would matter either.

Engine failures, even using cheapo oils, don’t seem to pop up ever. My experience seems to tell me that using good filters and changing oil at proper intervals is the key to long engine life.

For the record, I have used either Delo or Rotella in almost every engine I’ve owned for about 35 years.
The exception to this is that I run Mobil 0W-20 synthetic in my wife’s Highlander and daughter’s Corolla.

The only thing I can think of is "seepage", the very slow leaks associated with a "wet" tractor. They may not cover that with lower viscosity winter weight, or you may have trouble getting coverage. Since my dealer told me it was "normal" after a few years, I am hedging my bets and using only manual recommended weight.

PS I don't think it is "normal", and they will hear from me if the engine bloc starts seeping.

/ 10W30 Diesel Oil Recommendations? #59  
Unless I知 wrong, there痴 no reason you can稚 go with a lower winter (W) rating than what is specified in your owners manual. Lower W numbers will simply allow the oil to flow better in colder temperatures. I also can稚 imagine using a 30 or 40 weight oil would matter either.

Engine failures, even using cheapo oils, don稚 seem to pop up ever. My experience seems to tell me that using good filters and changing oil at proper intervals is the key to long engine life.

For the record, I have used either Delo or Rotella in almost every engine I致e owned for about 35 years.
The exception to this is that I run Mobil 0W-20 synthetic in my wife痴 Highlander and daughter痴 Corolla.

The only thing I can think of is "seepage", the very slow leaks associated with a "wet" tractor. They may not cover that with lower viscosity winter weight, or you may have trouble getting coverage. Since my dealer told me it was "normal" after a few years, I am hedging my bets and using only manual recommended weight.

PS I don't think it is "normal", and they will hear from me if the engine bloc starts seeping.

/ 10W30 Diesel Oil Recommendations? #60  
For what it's worth, having gone down the rabbit hole on this site on oil, I will probably go with 5W-40. I am concerned with startup wear and cold spells with 10W. The 30 is probably fine for hot weather operating, but in synthetic the 40 should flow almost as freely and offer slightly more protection.