12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!!

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!!
The transmissions seem to be weak, for one thing. That's not a new problem though... ever since my '98 GMC I've expected to have a transmission job done at around 120-130K miles.

I believe it was just the larger models from the last couple or three years. Especially low milage ones. His mother has an Acadia and it has been trouble free. She says the best vehicle she has ever owned. Dependable, comfortable, and easy on gas.

RSKY

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #92  
I believe it was just the larger models from the last couple or three years. Especially low milage ones. His mother has an Acadia and it has been trouble free. She says the best vehicle she has ever owned. Dependable, comfortable, and easy on gas.

RSKY
And I'm actually talking about pickups, but I believe they have the same transmission.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #93  
Hey Gale, long time no talk.

My son-in-law has the Model Y. He leaves it for me to drive when he borrows my truck. Wife is afraid I'm gonna kill myself in that thing. His is the dual motor performance model and it will scare the heck out of a passenger that has never ridden in one. I have a spot on 464 coming out of Mayfield that I try vehicles out on. Stop on a culvert and floor it. Slight dog leg at 1/4 mile and bridge a little less than 1/2 mile. My 07 RAV4 V6 would do 95 at the bridge, 2003 Mazda 6 V6 105 at the bridge. In the Tesla I glanced at the speed before the dogleg and was at 92 and still pressing us back in the seats. I had to back off. Scared myself silly. Son in law was with me and didn't leave it for me to drive for months after that. I think I scared him too.

RSKY
Great to hear from you. I was out 58 and 131 by the airport this week. I went that way to Benton to stop by my retiring tractor guys shop but they really do a lot of rebuilding out there I noticed on 131 all over Mayfield.

When I get the model Y dual motor long range (330 mi range) it will be the first car that I will never test the high end. I went to the web and the top speed for the Model Y long range is 135 mph. The top end on our Leaf is 94 .

Next month I turn 72 so its time to make that my top speed. It can be dangerous when the body is approaching 100 and the brain still thinks you're 16. 🙂

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #94  
In 1985 I ordered a new diesel f 250 hd [no 350's with 4wd out yet] went down the list and got every option available lariat etc. With the x plan I paid $14,500.00. I just got a price on a F350 cc dually lariat basic as little options as I could get was $70,000.00.
That is MSRP that means the dealer wants to make between 10 and 15 k on a truck that all he is doing is filling out paperwork for. That's the same as the 85 cost me. Obviously, I told him to F.O. 🍻

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #95  
There aren’t any used vehicles?
I'm seeing 1-2 year old electric/hybrid vehicles advertised as selling for 10-20K more than brand new at stealerships right now. Gas guzzlers are available on the lots but I'd rather stand on the street handing out $5 bills. I'm speculating there will be a recession and prices will drop when the covid brain fog disappears.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #96  
In 1985 I ordered a new diesel f 250 hd [no 350's with 4wd out yet] went down the list and got every option available lariat etc. With the x plan I paid $14,500.00. I just got a price on a F350 cc dually lariat basic as little options as I could get was $70,000.00.
That is MSRP that means the dealer wants to make between 10 and 15 k on a truck that all he is doing is filling out paperwork for. That's the same as the 85 cost me. Obviously, I told him to F.O. 🍻

It wouldn’t be as much of an issue if wages were keeping up. I made about 1/2 what I make now in the mid 80’s, which is pathetic, but that’s another story. Trucks are 4-5 times what they were in the mid 80’s. I paid $19,000 for a ‘91 F-350 4WD diesel with a ZF manual, AC, PW, PDL reg cab.

And I don’t want to hear the crap about how much better they are.….
First, they SHOULD be BETTER. Thats called progress.
Second, they cost 5 times as much for parts and to fix.

They are pricing average income earner buyers out of existence.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #97  
Next month I turn 72 so its time to make that my top speed. It can be dangerous when the body is approaching 100 and the brain still thinks you're 16. 🙂
I'm too young to be this old.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #98  
I pay more in taxes now than I made with an associate's degree and 5 years in the workplace, in 1985 .

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #99  
They are on their second Toyota with no problems. I believe I posted earlier that they were on their third but this is their second. They had a Mercury for a while and it stayed in the shop more than they drove it. I believe the longest was for six weeks. I have always had great service with Ford products but that one vehicle soured my son in law on the brand. At my suggestion they are going to look at an Expedition next week. She originally wanted a Tahoe but their car dealer friend told her to stay away from the larger GM SUVs. Don't know why but apparently some people are having many problems with their new vehicles. Told her that in a year or so they would be okay but right now he wouldn't buy a late model at auction. SIL's dad had good luck with Chrysler products and they will look at them too.

But the Sequoia checked every box for all the requirements she had. And as far as the Toyota Kool-Aid how come they cannot produce enough to fulfill demand while the brands you mention have many vehicles sitting on the lots? Hmmmm?

Also a lot of the American brand name vehicles are now made in Mexico, India, and other countries. The Sequoia is made in Texas.

RSKY
My new Tacoma was made in San Antonio TX. I’ve been a GM man most of my life but didn’t want one now cause their engines have Active Fuel Management which shuts down cylinders. They are having terrible problems with that. I think Ford finally stopped putting auto shut off in their trucks from too many complaints. So I guess I did drink the Toyota kool-aid. I wouldn’t want one of those F150’s that’s been sitting for over a year and hasn’t been started parked at the Kentucky speedway waiting on chips. Go to google maps and you can see acres of trucks parked their. It’s probably a mice haven now. as far as getting a good deal on my truck, I could have driven all over creation looking and looking and looking. I found one I liked and I bought it. I just retired and am debt free, no mortgage, no car payment, no credit card debt.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #100  
I was talking to a guy at the Ford dealership a year or so ago that was looking to by a new work truck , he said all those trucks that were sitting wait for chips were destroyed. He claimed that was true for all the manufacturers. They wrote them off, didn't have to discount anything, and didn't have to lose new sales to year old discounted ones. Makes sense.