12v Accessory Outlet .... How Best to Do on Tractor?

/ 12v Accessory Outlet .... How Best to Do on Tractor? #1  

Haoleguy

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 5325; Landini Mistral 50
Within the next few days I will be putting in a 12v 15amp outlet somewhere on the back end of my Landini tractor. I'm thinking of running 12 gauge wire from the battery back with power side having an ATM fuse inline. I've got a marine outlet(cigarette lighter style) and a waterproof ATM fuse holder. Is this the best way to do this or should I consider going through either the switched main fuse box or possibly tapping off the trailer socket? I'm thinking the later is not quite up to 15amp circuit. Any suggestions are much appreciated......Cheers, Gary

/ 12v Accessory Outlet .... How Best to Do on Tractor? #2  
I used the rear outlet on my Deere for my flood lights and flashing visibility lights with a switch in the ROPS, And I like that it's tapped into the "key on" position. I guess it depends what you will use the outlet for. See what your rear outlet circuit is rated for. You could always set up a higher amperage circuit if need be and relay it on through the rear outlet or keyswitch if needed as well.

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

/ 12v Accessory Outlet .... How Best to Do on Tractor? #3  
I went right from the battery. I installed mine in the dash but in retrospect, that wasn't the best location, but that's my problem.
I do suggest you use the corrugated plastic tubing to protect the wire run...it's about 60 cents per foot a NAPA. Use plenty of wire ties too...

/ 12v Accessory Outlet .... How Best to Do on Tractor? #4  
I think the way you are planning to run it is fine, although I agree that the plastic shield is a good idea. It depends somewhat on whether you want it hot when the ignition is off. If you leave something plugged in you might run down your battery, but there are also times when it is handy to be able to plug things in with the tractor shut off.
You could add an automotive style 30 amp relay near the battery that is energized by the key and run your outlet through the contacts. That would turn the outlet off when the ignition is off and still isolate your circuit from the rest of the tractor. Any auto supply store should have the relay and socket.

/ 12v Accessory Outlet .... How Best to Do on Tractor? #5  
Relay, split loom, and a fuse to protect it all.
Look around your fuse box maybe there's an extra spot?

/ 12v Accessory Outlet .... How Best to Do on Tractor?
Thank you for the ideas guys. In my previous search for threads on the topic I did come across the suggestion for using the trailer adapter and using a plastic sleeve to protect the wires. My trailer adapter is only a 7amp circuit so that will not quite do. I have a weeding attachment that I receive later in May that is requiring a 10 amp circuit. In sizing this I looked at some other uses and decided a 15 amp circuit could serve some other purposes. For starters I will wire the outlet to the battery with an inline fuse to keep it as a hot connection regardless of ignition on or off. At the same time I will double check to see if there is a slot available in the fuse box with the idea if I change my mind I can add there. Alternatively, for ignition switch on, I like the relay idea as well. Since my Landini is a narrow orchard/vineyard tractor the number of places to put the outlet without being squeezed is limited but I think I have a nice little place next to the seat. That way, based on another post, if my spouse decides to do some winter work I can get her those plug-in motorcycle socks, pants, etc to stay toasty warm. Thank you again.......Cheers, Gary

/ 12v Accessory Outlet .... How Best to Do on Tractor? #7  
I would use a fuse tap on a appropriate fuse in the fuse box.

/ 12v Accessory Outlet .... How Best to Do on Tractor? #8  
I added a extra fuse block to my tractor that has both ignition hot circuits and always hot circuits. The 12 volt plug is on on of the always hot circuits, work lights are on an ignition hot circuits, and when I wire it my sprayer harness will be on a always hot circuit.

/ 12v Accessory Outlet .... How Best to Do on Tractor? #9  
My Deere 2720 came with a 12 volt outlet under the seat. I cannot however plug in a standard auto plug and have it stay in the outlet. It looks as if it takes a "special" type of connector that twists and locks into the outlet. My Deere dealer is CLUELESS. I'd love to be able to use this outlet for my sprayer instead of running a line from my battery. Any help appreciated, New member as of this morning.

/ 12v Accessory Outlet .... How Best to Do on Tractor? #10  
I have one on my X740 Garden Tractor. This has an on and off switch to control the power to the attachment which I think is a great feature. I need to put one on my bigger tractor and hopefully this thread will shed light on something like that.