1845 Smoking Bad

/ 1845 Smoking Bad
To update my problem. I have been laid up for a while and unable to work on the 1845. Tuesday took the injectors to have them tested, they tested not real good so had new tips put on, then they tested good. Put them in today and fired it up, it smoked at first then pretty much stopped smoking, I gave it some more throttle and it sped up and started smoking bad again then suddenly it really sped up and then sounded like an explosion . I shut it off right away, will talk to Terry Monday. The black liquid that came out of the exhaust feels like oil. I checked the oil level and it was low, doesn't sound like injectors were the problem

/ 1845 Smoking Bad #12  
Sorry to hear that you have been laid up. Speeding up, with black smoke, sounds like overfueling. I'm no expert on unwanted diesel explosions.

I had trouble on a Yanmar engine that had a tiny air leak in diesel line before (actually at) the injection pump. The air/diesel mixture ends up being compressible, and the result is a low injection pressure (and fuel spray), which then has a poor burn, causing the governor to supply more fuel. Given that your old injectors were clogged, is it possible that you have an air leak in the diesel line?

All the best,

Peter

/ 1845 Smoking Bad
Sorry to hear that you have been laid up. Speeding up, with black smoke, sounds like overfueling. I'm no expert on unwanted diesel explosions.

I had trouble on a Yanmar engine that had a tiny air leak in diesel line before (actually at) the injection pump. The air/diesel mixture ends up being compressible, and the result is a low injection pressure (and fuel spray), which then has a poor burn, causing the governor to supply more fuel. Given that your old injectors were clogged, is it possible that you have an air leak in the diesel line?

All the best,

Peter
It is possible there could be an air leak, I changed the fuel filter and drained the fuel tank and put a new fuel line on from the tank I had to loosen the fuel lines at the injector pumps to get the fuel injectors loose and I noticed that the lines were leaking a little at the injector pumps , will check more next week

/ 1845 Smoking Bad #14  
I am going to say you have a blown head gasket. Your engine oil is getting into the pistons. It could be a cracked head or bad valve as well. I feel the fuel injectors is a separate issue from the runaway engine that you just had. My big concern is that your engine is dead. What usually happens is the engine starts sucking up the engine oil and it runs till the bearings get hit due to lack of oil and blow up

For anyone with a diesel engine you should always have in the back of your mind how to deal with a runaway diesel engine. The only way to kill a diesel engine is to deny it air in this situation. Do not attempt to block the intake with your hand or with a rag. A flat piece of wood is the best. I have seen rags attempted. They might work for us non turbo owners but they will mess up a turbo instantly.

/ 1845 Smoking Bad #15  
I am going to say you have a blown head gasket. Your engine oil is getting into the pistons. It could be a cracked head or bad valve as well. I feel the fuel injectors is a separate issue from the runaway engine that you just had. My big concern is that your engine is dead. What usually happens is the engine starts sucking up the engine oil and it runs till the bearings get hit due to lack of oil and blow up

For anyone with a diesel engine you should always have in the back of your mind how to deal with a runaway diesel engine. The only way to kill a diesel engine is to deny it air in this situation. Do not attempt to block the intake with your hand or with a rag. A flat piece of wood is the best. I have seen rags attempted. They might work for us non turbo owners but they will mess up a turbo instantly.
A blown head gasket and / or a bad valve would certainly explain many of the symptoms.

Great runaway diesel tip. Don't forget the manual stop lever on the back left of the engine, just above the throttle. (2011 series engines) #5 in the image below;
IMG_0950.png

All the best,

Peter

/ 1845 Smoking Bad #16  
In a Deutz white smoke is unburned fuel, unless you have oil spraying from a hydraulic hose. Have you smelled the black liquid on the tire to see if it is diesel or oil? It can be hard to see pinhole leaks in hydraulic lines. I hear that leather gloves and a piece of cardboard to see the oil spray is recommended. I have never done it myself.

So, I tend to think of either a bad injector, or a loss of compression. Have you checked for blow by, in case it is a ring failure? If you are going to pull the injectors, you might want to think about a little sea foam in each cylinder to help clear out any gum and loosen carbon at the top of the cylinder.

When was the last time you checked the valve clearances?

Good luck!

All the best,

Peter
Also on a deutz one of them plugs could blow out in a head and cause smoke and runs fine.

/ 1845 Smoking Bad
Went up to shed and decided to see if it would start, turned over and started but sounded like something was rattling inside engine turned it off right away,

/ 1845 Smoking Bad #18  
Went up to shed and decided to see if it would start, turned over and started but sounded like something was rattling inside engine turned it off right away,
That's never a good sound...I hope that Terry has some actionable information for you.

However, my SMV placard on the back of the hood has gotten me more than once, with me thinking it was an engine rattle.

All the best,

Peter

/ 1845 Smoking Bad
Got to thinking last night and ponytug gave me an idea. I had taken the cover off the cooler and never put it back on , it was laying on the hydraulic tank and also the cooler was not fastened down. Put cover on and bolted it down, no more noise. Bad news now it started smoking bad again and blowing oil out the exhaust. Sounds like head gasket.