1975 165 stuck in neutral range.. How to Unstuck it?

/ 1975 165 stuck in neutral range.. How to Unstuck it?
Here are photos of the gasket looks like it has been mangled by the motion of the h-l range bar. Could this affect the shifting ie; it's not moving into place properly when moving the shifter from low to high and back and forth? Seems like a fine point but there it is... What now? Thanks for this help Patrick!

Attachments

• IMG_20220821_122216.jpg
    IMG_20220821_122216.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20220821_122207.jpg
    IMG_20220821_122207.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 75
   / 1975 165 stuck in neutral range.. How to Unstuck it? #32  
The gasket would have little or nothing to do with it. Now the cover is off, you see the shift gate and rail are intact. The problem must be in the hi/lo itself. With the spring and detent plungers loose you can easily shift any of the rails by hand, so what does the hi/lo rail feel like? In theory, you should be able to slide it from hi to neutral to lo and back again, and with just a slight finger pressure on the detent spring feel the plunger drop into each one. Does that happen? You may have to rotate some gears/shafts to find the right spot, but if you can't make that happen you will need to get into the fork and sliding collar of the planetary unit on the back of the transmission. A rear split may be in your future. If the problem is with the fork or the collar, you may be able to get it out and back in place with the lift cover off. If it's in the planetary, then the split will need to happen.

I'm hoping against hope I don't have to split it the way you describe. It might be cheap fix but it doesn't look easy. I'm going to suggest I fashion a new gasket and put the cover back on top see and go from there. Do you concur
The gasket would have little or nothing to do with it. Now the cover is off, you see the shift gate and rail are intact. The problem must be in the hi/lo itself. With the spring and detent plungers loose you can easily shift any of the rails by hand, so what does the hi/lo rail feel like? In theory, you should be able to slide it from hi to neutral to lo and back again, and with just a slight finger pressure on the detent spring feel the plunger drop into each one. Does that happen? You may have to rotate some gears/shafts to find the right spot, but if you can't make that happen you will need to get into the fork and sliding collar of the planetary unit on the back of the transmission. A rear split may be in your future. If the problem is with the fork or the collar, you may be able to get it out and back in place with the lift cover off. If it's in the planetary, then the split will need to happen.
Yes, the detent grooves in the hi-low rail move freely with the cover off and springs decompressed and stop in all 3 positions with slight finger pressure on the springs.

/ 1975 165 stuck in neutral range.. How to Unstuck it? #34  
Harry's explanation is all correct.
Can you post a picture from above of the selector rails? I expected to see one rail for H-L and 2 rails for the main gearbox, but isn't there another?
As far as a trial run, just temporarily refit the cover with 2 or 3 bolts and see how that H-L selector works.

/ 1975 165 stuck in neutral range.. How to Unstuck it? #35  
Harry's explanation is all correct.
Can you post a picture from above of the selector rails? I expected to see one rail for H-L and 2 rails for the main gearbox, but isn't there another?
As far as a trial run, just temporarily refit the cover with 2 or 3 bolts and see how that H-L selector works.
I believe you are seeing the stationary rail that prevents moving 1-2 & 3-R at same time.

I see 4 rails. I've got a few bolts in and it feels back in place, will have to try it tomorrow, its outside and started to rain. Thanks so much for getting me this far.

Attachments

• IMG_20220820_113220.jpg
    IMG_20220820_113220.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20220820_113134.jpg
    IMG_20220820_113134.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 78
   / 1975 165 stuck in neutral range.. How to Unstuck it? #37  
I believe you are seeing the stationary rail that prevents moving 1-2 & 3-R at same time.
I understand you mean R-1 & 2-3, referring to the lock-out mechanism, but why does he mention four springs and plungers?
Here's a picture of an 8- and a 6-speed shift cover from a 135 book. Could it indeed be an 8speed? Or are they a different design in the bigger tractors?

Attachments

• 20220821_120309.jpg
    20220821_120309.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 68
  • 20220821_120542.jpg
    20220821_120542.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 67
   / 1975 165 stuck in neutral range.. How to Unstuck it? #38  
From his photos, it is an eight speed. Doesn't really matter though, the hi/lo is basically the same with either. If his problem is back there he still has more digging to get to it.

/ 1975 165 stuck in neutral range.. How to Unstuck it? #39  
I understand you mean R-1 & 2-3, referring to the lock-out mechanism, but why does he mention four springs and plungers?
Here's a picture of an 8- and a 6-speed shift cover from a 135 book. Could it indeed be an 8speed? Or are they a different design in the bigger tractors?

From his photos, it is an eight speed. Doesn't really matter though, the hi/lo is basically the same with either. If his problem is back there he still has more digging to get to it.
Looking at Doitnow's pictures in post #36,
1st (Top) rail slides back and forth for HI & LO
2nd from top slides back and forth for 3 & R
3rd from top is stationary and prevents moving two slides at same time.
4th (bottom) rail slides back and forth for 1 & 2

Looking at Doitnow's pictures in post #36,
1st (Top) rail slides back and forth for HI & LO
2nd from top slides back and forth for 3 & R
3rd from top is stationary and prevents moving two slides at same time.
4th (bottom) rail slides back and forth for 1 & 2
So I got the cover back on the transmission gears and the gear levers feel like they're clicking in properly but not engaging to move forward in either gear/range, same as before . I've loosened the 16 or so bolts at the split, in preparation for the unavoidable. Will prepare to support both sides of the split underneath somehow and then allow the rear to ease out far enough to look in carefully so it doesn't drop or move sideways. Any other suggestions what to do? (I'm a bit confused about the rails discussion and the 4 springs but I think they are all in place and will function if the L-H range thing is fixed unless I'm not seeing something) Really appreciate any and all comments, you guys are giving me the needed confidence to get this done!! Richard