1975 165 stuck in neutral range.. How to Unstuck it?

/ 1975 165 stuck in neutral range.. How to Unstuck it? #11  
It gos without saying but do not insert fingers or tools into transmission case while engine is running. A little "rear wheel rocking" by hand might help while attempting to reposition gears with screwdriver.

/ 1975 165 stuck in neutral range.. How to Unstuck it? #12  
If that's the case, it may be the issue has something to do with the end of the shift lever, the gate it fits into, or the bolt securing the to the rail. You might be able to remove the lever by first removing the roll pin holding it into the casting, but it probably won't gain much except a vantage point to see a little more. To actually do anything, you will need to remove the shift cover. That's a project.
I've accessed hydraulics in rear case by removing top cover beneath seat and side cover behind right foot but where is this shift cover you speak of?

/ 1975 165 stuck in neutral range.. How to Unstuck it? #13  
Where is it? It's right on top of the transmission, under the steering column and all that. The casting with two shift levers sticking up and the transmission filler plug you mentioned earlier. You don't know where that is?

/ 1975 165 stuck in neutral range.. How to Unstuck it? #14  
I reckon first checking if something is jammed with the neutral start switch. It's directly forward of the small lever, beneath the throttle lever area.
Yes, in the cover plate is where the lever is located, but the selector rail itself moves reaches right to the rear of the main gearbox, to a planetary gear set for high and low range. It's directly beneath where the shift pattern is cast into the casings. IIRC you can access it by removing the hydraulic cover, but for repairs to the actual reduction set the tractor will need to be split at the joint behind the gearbox - an easy job.
Selecting high range engages a drive collar to "bypass" through the gearset, low range engages the gearset.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 20220813_123511.jpg
    20220813_123511.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 79
   / 1975 165 stuck in neutral range.. How to Unstuck it? #15  
Nope,guess I better look closer next time. Might have saved me a split or two in the past.

/ 1975 165 stuck in neutral range.. How to Unstuck it?
If that's the case, it may be the issue has something to do with the end of the shift lever, the gate it fits into, or the bolt securing the to the rail. You might be able to remove the lever by first removing the roll pin holding it into the casting, but it probably won't gain much except a vantage point to see a little more. To actually do anything, you will need to remove the shift cover. That's a project.
Was looking at it today again and thinking just what you're suggesting.. a project yes it is. Thanks everyone who responded here.. I'll let you all know the outcome when we're moving again.

/ 1975 165 stuck in neutral range.. How to Unstuck it? #17  
Just remembered that I have some pics of the gearbox from a friend's FE35 when I renewed all the bearings in it. I found these, thinking they might give you an insight to what yours looks like - it's the same as this one. They aren't as specific as I expected, but they're the only ones I have!
Pic 1 shows the low range reduction unit on the rear of the fully-assembled gearbox.
Pic 2 shows the same minus the selector cover.
Pic 3 is merely a closer pic of the selector rods and gate.

In Pics 2 and 3, the range change selector is at the bottom in each pic.

The square heads of grub-screws secured tight with tie-wire hold the selector forks and gate sections in place. They engage in recesses in the rods.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• DSC01254.jpg
    DSC01254.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 84
  • DSC01246.jpg
    DSC01246.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 75
  • DSC01245.jpg
    DSC01245.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 80
Last edited:
These photos are great, gives me an idea what I'll be looking at when I take the cover off which I'm about to do... I've attached a photo with the bolts out and ready to lift it off. Is there anything I should watch for as the shift mechanism disengages from the gears?

Attachments

• IMG_20220820_103845.jpg
    IMG_20220820_103845.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 68
These photos are great, gives me an idea what I'll be looking at when I take the cover off which I'm about to do... I've attached a photo with the bolts out and ready to lift it off. Is there anything I should watch for as the shift mechanism disengages from the gears?

Attachments

• IMG_20220820_103845.jpg
    IMG_20220820_103845.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20220820_110947.jpg
    IMG_20220820_110947.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 47