$2 million CAT tractor build

/ $2 million CAT tractor build #31  
Their truck engines aren't what they used to be, but Cat engines have been the best over time, before the regulations. They would still be good if that weren't the case but they aren't junk.

Cat engines have always been good. Many drivers prefered the Cat engines.

/ $2 million CAT tractor build #33  
The Cat 3400 series of engines (3406e & 3408e) had been in production a very long time and had been "tweaked" as much as that design allowed to meet EPA standards. It was time to retire them. In there place are a new series of engines along with a new (Caterpillar manufactured) truck line
New CAT Truck | CAT CT660 Vocational Truck - CT660 Pictures and Video

By the way, Caterpillar also bought GM's Electro-Motive Division (EMD) in August of 2010. So now they also make locomotives.

Last edited:
   / $2 million CAT tractor build #34  
The baddest and biggest and most reliable bulldozers in the world are Komatsu. They make the biggest production bulldozer in the world the D575A. I agree that CAT engines are lacking, even russia is buying cummins for there monster dozers.

Just kidding-I really dont know who makes the best engines buit I do know to stay away from Detroit Diesels...

/ $2 million CAT tractor build #35  
We've had too many CAT engines to mention over the years in tractors/combines/trucks/dozers etc . The 3406 has been ok but few others i'd care to see again . Granted any V8 can be a liability of any brand but even in 6 cyls i'd take cummins by choice or ford/Iveco ,IH,detroit . Cats are too fussy and expensive to maintain .

Detroit 60 series is probably one of the best out there ..????Detroit V's can be trouble but the 671's were fine if a little short on power but trouble free !

/ $2 million CAT tractor build #36  
By the way, Caterpillar also bought GM's Electro-Motive Division (EMD) in August of 2010. So now they also make locomotives.

I've always wondered if anyone bought EMD.

Just kidding-I really dont know who makes the best engines buit I do know to stay away from Detroit Diesels...

Didn't Congressional Motors (Chrysler) buy DD from Gummint Motors?

/ $2 million CAT tractor build #37  
Detroit Diesel is German owned now.
The off-highway division which is owned by Tognum, which EQT IV formed along with MTU Friedrichshafen.
The on-highway division which is owned by Daimler AG.

/ $2 million CAT tractor build #38  
Detroit Diesel is German owned now.
The on-highway division which is owned by Daimler AG.

So Daimler kept DD after their divorce from Chrysler. Interesting.

As a kid I remember GM had the car and truck divisions Chevy, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick, Cadillac and GMC. Terex construction equipment and EMD locomotives. Frigidaire appliances and Delco-Remy. Detroit Diesel engines. Overseas I recall they had Vauxhall and Opel in Europe. I assume they still have Vauxhall and Opel; but Gummint Motors is truly a shell of its former self. GM buying SAAB was disastrous for the Swedish car maker in my opinion. Heck, one year a SAAB something or another was a rebadged Gooberu (Subaru).

/ $2 million CAT tractor build #39  
The Cat 3400 series of engines (3406e & 3408e) had been in production a very long time and had been "tweaked" as much as that design allowed to meet EPA standards. It was time to retire them. In there place are a new series of engines along with a new (Caterpillar manufactured) truck line
New CAT Truck | CAT CT660 Vocational Truck - CT660 Pictures and Video

Been to EMD in McCook, many times...... Try assemble locomotives. Not make. Make and assemble have been comingled so much in this country it's getting hard to discern the difference......

On the trucks... Butt ugly. Look like a cross between a Volvo VNT cab and a R model Mack.

I would have expected better.

The reason Cat got out of the Class 8 market and decided to build their own (utilizing drivelines from Rockwell and others, just like everyone else in the industry) is because Cat got tired of paying the EPA fines for particulate emissions and their compliant engine was unreliable.

Hopefully, they've perfected their emission hardware. We won't be buying any after Cat hung owners of late model engines out to dry on warranty related issues. POT.

/ $2 million CAT tractor build #40  
Cat engines have always been good. Many drivers prefered the Cat engines.

Back in the day...Yes. I had a 1693 TA that would out run and out pull anything on the road except a 650 KTA.

In the last 10 years Caterpillar engines dropped from favor because of design problems and fuel inefficiency.