2 tons of Lime ain't nothing!!!

/ 2 tons of Lime ain't nothing!!! #11  
Just got off of the phone with the Co op it would cost over a grand for 6 tons!! . I'm not looking to spend that much now so he told me I could put down 2 tons this year 2 tons next and so on to raise the pH level.

That's how I'm doing it, slow and steady with 'horse friendly' lime. I'll add fertiliser this year to the paddocks.

This is in addition to chain-harrowing the horse droppings and then mulching the broken up balls with the lawn tractor after I've shifted paddocks. This method cuts down on parasites.

/ 2 tons of Lime ain't nothing!!!
No need to put up all that money right away all it is is a food plot for the deers, bears, coons turkeys and what ever else.

/ 2 tons of Lime ain't nothing!!! #13  
Our natural pH around here is about 5-5.5 around trees and 5.5-6 in natural grass. Would take A LOT of lime to take it up to 6.5-6.8 more ideal for grass. Best grass I have is tall fescue growing near my blueberries. I just mulch my blueberries with sawdust, chip mulch or pine needles. Pine needles are the best. The grass is great at around the 6 pH in the soil.

Just mow it high to keep the weeds down.

Ralph

/ 2 tons of Lime ain't nothing!!! #14  
Just got off of the phone with the Co op it would cost over a grand for 6 tons!! . I'm not looking to spend that much now so he told me I could put down 2 tons this year 2 tons next and so on to raise the pH level.

Sounds high. I paid $43/ton spread.

The cost per ton here is 34.40 so Ill spread 5 tons this year.

That's his cost driving up

/ 2 tons of Lime ain't nothing!!! #17  
You are on the right track. Our soil around here is moderately acidic and needs yearly dosages of lime. I don't think that you could put down too much. It does take several years to see the results. Most folks around here put down lime and fertilizer in the spring for their lawns. Some fertilize four times a year. I've got too much grass to mow as is and don't follow that schedule.

/ 2 tons of Lime ain't nothing!!! #18  

The cost per ton here is 34.40 so Ill spread 5 tons this year.

$200 for 6 tons of lime, and $800 to haul it?

I know it's CRAZY why would anyone not do it them self and save.

/ 2 tons of Lime ain't nothing!!! #20  
We have a lime place about 40 miles from here that you can buy the lime, they put it in a spreader, and you can trailer the spreader yourself and return the empty spreader when done. Has a 2 ton minimum order, but it was very cheap considering. This was powdered lime. We did a 2 acre plot with it. This was a little more than the soil sample required. I tilled it all up, then we spread the lime. Looked like a light snow fell. Then we tilled again and planted. We had the best looking food plot I've ever seen right out of the gate.

I'd like to lime my lawn as it really needs it, but my problem there is my lawn has so many hills, I wouldn't be able to use this spreader everywhere. The only other way I can get lime is pelletized and it's $4 for a 50lb bag ;-(