2000 Challenger MT265 death sentence?

/ 2000 Challenger MT265 death sentence?
That kit would work, but that is for rebuilding the engine. You need at least the head gasket and valve cover gasket, but here is the kit for the head

Beautiful, thank you. We're in the process of building a garage so we'll have a place to work. I think my son and I might take a (very careful) crack at this and we have a friendly neighbor who seems to have every type of tractor and tool under the sun. I'm sure he'll keep an eye on us. Once the head is off I'll have to take it to a machine shop to check for a warp?

Last year when it briefly ran higher temp than normal, I added coolant AND changed the oil but didn't catch it to examine...but was suspicious. Since then and a week ago when I changed oil and caught it (not overheating but coolant was low again) I ran it for ten hours, light duty, and got away with it. Unless you guys say I'm mental I'm going to use it a little bit and carefully watch the TEMP before I get to this.

/ 2000 Challenger MT265 death sentence? #12  
How much coolant did you lose? & how much did you pull out with the oil? Don't turn a minor problem into a major one by flooding the crankcase with coolant & soaking the journals in antifreeze or severely overheating the engine. Diesel tolerances are a lot tighter than gas engines, pressures are higher & parts are more expensive.

How much coolant did you lose? & how much did you pull out with the oil? Don't turn a minor problem into a major one by flooding the crankcase with coolant & soaking the journals in antifreeze or severely overheating the engine. Diesel tolerances are a lot tighter than gas engines, pressures are higher & parts are more expensive.
I think since last year I've added maybe a half gallon of coolant and when I changed the oil last week it measure a half inch over the line. I didn't catch all the oil...maybe a half gallon in a clear jar for inspection...as soon as I pulled the drain plug and that container is about 1/3 antifreeze and 2/3 oil.

/ 2000 Challenger MT265 death sentence? #14  
Any oil in the radiator or overflow tank? I wouldn't run my tractor until I fixed it, but that's me. You risk water/coolant displacing oil in your bearings & damaging the crank or cam or the leak getting worse & hydrolocking a piston if the leak is into the cylinder & washing past your pistons -- not to mention the opportunity of destroying rods, pistons, the rings and block. I'd open her up & look to get to the bottom of the problem asap.

I don't know that specific tractor/engine, so maybe Tractortech sees it different after working on one. I'm just talking general engine issues.

/ 2000 Challenger MT265 death sentence? #15  
I agree with Alex pops. Was the oil milky colored, indicating that the oil has mixed with the water? If it didn't, you risk doing so running it longer in this condition.
Do not muck up the engine with water. You will have to flush the crank and oil passages with diesel to clear out the contaminated oil.

/ 2000 Challenger MT265 death sentence? #16  
Just wanted to share this site from Europe. This is where I got all the specs to do the engine I worked on. The bottom of this page talks about a turbo version of this engine with a cracked head.

I know your engine isn't turboed, but your head could have a crack. Some Asian engines are susceptible to cracking. These engines tend to have precombustion chambers and have more galleries to crack when overheated.

Have the machine shop Magnaflux the head to check for cracks along with head warp.

Last edited:
I agree with Alex pops. Was the oil milky colored, indicating that the oil has mixed with the water? If it didn't, you risk doing so running it longer in this condition.
Do not muck up the engine with water. You will have to flush the crank and oil passages with diesel to clear out the contaminated oil.
First I want to say that I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help me. The oil doesn't look milky but has a shade of red. There are two drain plugs because there is a shaft that runs down the middle of the oil pan. I pulled the left plug first and quickly put my inspection jar under it and I could see red and it looked watery/red at first, then black. Once that stopped I pulled the right plug and watching it drain it didn't look as red.

I still have the inspection jar and it's clearly separated. Dirty oil on top and reddish fluid on the bottom. After I filled it back with oil I started the engine and ran it for a few minutes to check for leaks and to listen to see if it sounded different and it really didn't. That's the state it's in now, parked, run only a few minutes with fresh oil. It's very difficult to see the fluid level in the tank but I've been checking it closely. I never saw oil in there, just the level dropping so that's where I added antifreeze/distilled water mix.

I do not know if these two fluids can find a way to mingle when it isn't running? What I'm going to do now is see if I can find an independent mechanic in Cumberland County, TN and play is safe and leave it be. My neighbor has his hands full building a house so I'm not going to even mention it to him. I'm a bit confounded because everything I've read about these tractors is they are stout, except for mine with this issue. The only other leak I've got is a few drips every once in a while from the Nimco joystick controller that I understand is common. Thanks again guys.

/ 2000 Challenger MT265 death sentence? #18  
If you can't find someone local, if you expand the search radius, you shouldn't have a problem finding someone good between Nashville, Knoxville & Chattanooga

If you can't find someone local, if you expand the search radius, you shouldn't have a problem finding someone good between Nashville, Knoxville & Chattanooga
Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and this is just a bad dream. We've gotten so accustomed to the priceless *privacy* we have here, and the crazy things going on out in the world, we don't even like driving on paved roads. ;) (now I'm just being silly)

/ 2000 Challenger MT265 death sentence? #20  
LOL ... you need to think like a mechanic. If I'm going to invest in tools, training, diagnostic equipment, I need to be in a high enough volume location to pay for all that. I-75/40/65 will give me more work than East Dead-end Road. I'm with you on preferring to live away from folks, but as a kid, when I needed to make money with my tools, had to go where the breakdowns were more likely. 🤷‍♂️