2000 Challenger MT265 death sentence?

/ 2000 Challenger MT265 death sentence? #21  
The Iseki powertrain tractors appear stout enough, but like any, overheating, dirt entering the engine or not enough oil will shorten their life. I was asked all the time what the expected life of a tractor was and my answer was that is dependent on the service and care that it receives. Of course there can be manufacturing defects or just bad designs, but lack of maintenance is the number one life determining factor in most cases.

This is not a simple tractor when it comes to getting to the head. The fuel tank mounted over the engine, half under the instrument cowling, makes it more of a difficult job than the average. Also, the superstructure for the hood and tank takes time to disassemble and assemble. I found that removing the platform mount nuts and prying up on the front of the platform about 1 to 1.5" gave enough room to slide the fuel tank out from under the cowling. Also, remove the muffler before you try to disassemble the rest of the supports and tank.

Hopefully your service manual gives you some tips on this procedure, but I didn't really see anything that would expedite getting to the head. The head itself is straight forward once you get there.

/ 2000 Challenger MT265 death sentence?
What I'll do this weekend is study the manual carefully. I'm lucky about the fuel tank on this model year because the fuel tank is behind the seat but with the FEL on there it's a bit of a contortion to do anything on the engine. Maybe I can do things like thoroughly clean everything to reduce time on the mechanic.

One thing holding me back from attempting this myself is while the tractor is under roof it's open on the sides and it sits on dirt. I don't think Lovey is going to give me much protest in $$$fixing$$$ it because she's seen the utility of it for maintaining 12 acres. And having been in rural TN for more than 10 years we understand people who don't have at least 1 tractor are just no damn good. :p

/ 2000 Challenger MT265 death sentence? #23  
Oh, that's the difference between an MT265 and MT265B model, the fuel tank.

You could start or crank over the engine long enough to raise the loader all the way up (provided you have the overhead room) and get a couple of 1.5x1.5" angle iron pieces to support the loader while you are working on it. Strap them in place with hose clamps.

Working on dirt is not ideal, but working on an engine head is not that big a deal. When the head is off, cover the top of the block with a trash bag and/or cardboard. Put a weight on it so the wind doesn't blow it away.

/ 2000 Challenger MT265 death sentence? #24  
Long ago, I had an MT-285B with a cab. It was an excellent little tractor.

/ 2000 Challenger MT265 death sentence? #25  
I am guessing that you may have a warped or cracked head. The head seems to be pretty stout so probably just a warp.

Last edited:
I am guessing that you may have a warped or cracked head. The head seems to be pretty stout so probably just a warp.

I chickened out on doing this myself...and the only outfit I could find that agreed to do this job was the $$$CAT dealer$$$.

I'm going to order the gasket set and bring it in with me when I drop the tractor off July 10.

I know big boys don't cry but sometimes they almost do. The CAT dealer called, two months later, and told me they replaced the gasket set and coolant was still leaking into the oil. The service manager said they had a camera up in there and they found a "pin hole" leak in the block in a place that would require a lot of disassembly to weld. Old timers around here are saying they've had some success using a product called "liquid glass" under circumstances like this. Is it worth a shot? :cry:

/ 2000 Challenger MT265 death sentence? #28  
Why not sleeve it?

Why not sleeve it?
What does that mean? I think this engine is a "dry sleeve" type but honestly I don't know the difference. When I asked the service manager where to go from here he suggested looking for a block or an engine and that might cost more than I paid for the tractor. He said he wouldn't do that if it were him.

/ 2000 Challenger MT265 death sentence? #30  
I don't think it is sleeved originally. What it means is you strip the block down. A machine shop bores the holes out and inserts a sleeve to renew the cylinder(s). Generally, you sleeve all 3 at the same time. Here in southern California, I have a guy that has a mobile service that will come out and bore/sleeve with engine and crank in place. Either way, resleeving is the best option for pinhole in a cylinder.