2008 JD 5303 With JD 522 FEL Hose Issue

/ 2008 JD 5303 With JD 522 FEL Hose Issue
Was able to speak with parts department earlier in the week. I had already looked up the hoses on JD Parts site. They showed an optional hose I wasn’t seeing. Emailed pictures so they could verify which one I needed. Picked them up this morning. Took couple hours to swap them out. Some a little hard to access. Once off found places on each hose where it had rubbed through or something nicked the hose where the steel was visible. Glad went ahead and replaced them all. Going back was able to lay the hoses on top of the hydraulic oil filter where they will be up and out of the way. Should be much better than where they were. Attached are pictures of old hoses and invoice. Curious what it would have cost sourcing locally and if all of the fittings would have lined up exactly like the OEM ones. The OEM were angled correctly on each end for a perfect fit. Appreciate the feedback and suggestions.
IMG_7518.JPG
IMG_7519.JPG

/ 2008 JD 5303 With JD 522 FEL Hose Issue #12  
If buying locally, a hydraulics shop the makes hoses could duplicate exactly what you have. You bring them the old hose to replicate. They would note how the two 90°s on the first hose are "clocked" and make sure they crimp the 90°s on the same orientation.
If buying online, lengths are by the foot, so if you have a 44" hose you would have to buy a 48" hose (4'). Or if you have a 62" hose, you will have to buy a 72" hose. You would also have to buy the angled adapters. Most come only with straight fittings.

If buying locally, a hydraulics shop the makes hoses could duplicate exactly what you have. You bring them the old hose to replicate. They would note how the two 90°s on the first hose are "clocked" and make sure they crimp the 90°s on the same orientation.
If buying online, lengths are by the foot, so if you have a 44" hose you would have to buy a 48" hose (4'). Or if you have a 62" hose, you will have to buy a 72" hose. You would also have to buy the angled adapters. Most come only with straight fittings.
Got you. This was my first encounter with hydraulic hoses.

Had an issue once with the shaft that connects to the front to make the 4WD work. Got slipped up in a creek and front tires were across a buried log. Wound up this shaft rested on the log and bent. Believe the OEM part was around $1000. Contacted a heavy truck shop that did drivelines too and took it to them. Was as simple as measuring the length, cutting a piece of pipe, transferring the ends over to the new pipe/shaft and truing them so the shaft was balanced. Total around $200. The truck shop was a good find!

/ 2008 JD 5303 With JD 522 FEL Hose Issue #14  
Got you. This was my first encounter with hydraulic hoses.

Had an issue once with the shaft that connects to the front to make the 4WD work. Got slipped up in a creek and front tires were across a buried log. Wound up this shaft rested on the log and bent. Believe the OEM part was around $1000. Contacted a heavy truck shop that did drivelines too and took it to them. Was as simple as measuring the length, cutting a piece of pipe, transferring the ends over to the new pipe/shaft and truing them so the shaft was balanced. Total around $200. The truck shop was a good find!
Driveshaft/drive line shop can build almost any needed driveshaft. Easy for them when you have both ends and they just need to retube. In the past, I had truck driveshafts lengthened when lifting the truck. 4x4 truck, adding a lift kit.

Driveshaft/drive line shop can build almost any needed driveshaft. Easy for them when you have both ends and they just need to retube. In the past, I had truck driveshafts lengthened when lifting the truck. 4x4 truck, adding a lift kit.

IMG_7473.JPG

Couple weeks passed since replaced the three hoses. Only this one fitting leaks just above where mid-mount hoses connect near middle passenger side of tractor. Have removed fitting, cleaned good, reassembled and still leaks a little. Fitting is right.

Is there a trick to stopping this leak? Have read some mention of Teflon tape, but most recommend not using and even state isn’t needed. Thanks in advance.

/ 2008 JD 5303 With JD 522 FEL Hose Issue #16  
I would not use teflon tape. Does the fitting use O-ring(s)? If so replace them.

I would not use teflon tape. Does the fitting use O-ring(s)? If so replace them.

From what I have read that does seem to be the consensus….no Teflon tape.

I do not recall seeing an O-ring on either fitting. Believe surfaces were for the most part flat. The threaded coupling moves around on the hose end metal piece and once it starts threading onto tractor end it appears to pull the hose end up snug to the tractor end. Checked a couple of times and there doesn’t seem to be any tightening to be done. All is very tight. The leak is small. Not streaming or pressuring out. Just a drip here and there.

/ 2008 JD 5303 With JD 522 FEL Hose Issue #18  
I have never had a problem using Teflon tape on hydraulic fittings that needed it. I just stay a few threads off the end.

/ 2008 JD 5303 With JD 522 FEL Hose Issue #19  
The JD parts catalog for JD 5303 mid valve shows O-rings on the fittings. Looks like ORFS for hose end, and SAE/ORB for adapter into valve body. Key 19 & 45
5303midvalve.JPG

Amazing how some, like yourself, have the ability to read the schematics and find things like this.

If I am looking right, it looks like the hose I am having issue with is #8 and there is a part #20 shown above the left side end that appears to be an O-ring. If there were O-rings involved I overlooked or just missed seeing them. All I did was remove the old and install the new. I cannot say for sure from memory if there were O-rings there or not. Sounds like I may need to look up part #20, order it, take end back off and if not an O-ring there install one.