2010 Truck Sales Figures

/ 2010 Truck Sales Figures #1  

Diamondpilot

Super Star Member
Tractor
Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work
Here are the numbers. Ford was the only one I could find that broke it down for gas/diesel. If anyone has the numbers for the Cummins and Duramax it would be interesting. By the way these numbers are for pickup trucks only, not cab and chassis. It clearly stated that they were numbers sold with beds.

1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, and 1 ton sales figures with a bed:

Ford = 528,349
GMC/Chevy = 499,929
Dodge = 199,652
Toyota = 93,309
Nissan = 23,416

3/4 and 1 ton sales figures with a bed:

Ford = 193,822 of which 127,923 were diesel
GMC/Chevy = 102,528
Dodge = 75,867

This came up with Soundguy the other day. As you can see Ford sold more diesels then GM did HD trucks total. My guess is GM's diesel sales are around 65,000 and Dodges are around 49,000 using Fords 66% diesel sales as a multiplier.

Chris

Last edited:
   / 2010 Truck Sales Figures #2  
I'm just swagging it but I would imagine the diesel percentage is slightly higher for Dodge and lower for Chevy compared to Fords but that's probably a good ballpark range.
At least around here closer to eight or nine out of ten 3/4 and 1 ton Dodges are Cummins powered based on observation.:)

/ 2010 Truck Sales Figures #3  
One thing that I find odd is that if no one in the midwest would buy a GM if it was the last truck on the planet, Ford only outsold GM by 30K trucks. This is strange isn't it, especially since Ford has generally dumped their trucks on the fleet market at year end to bump the numbers. They've done that for decades :D

Not starting a fight, just stating the obvious.

GM isn't trying too hard in the diesel market. The only way they can be had is loaded at close to 60K..That limits the audience to be sure. Ford may be the same, I don't know on that one.

The Cummins diesels outnumber everything else in this part of the world, they are everywhere. Some Powerstokes here and there. DMAX's are fairly rare.

There was a 1 ton DMAX sitting behind the truck I bought. Similar looking, just couldn't justify 13K more.

/ 2010 Truck Sales Figures
I would not say Ford dumps the trucks at the end of the year. Look at what the phone company drives, the wreckers are, ect. Ford does a great job selling to the service industries. I am sure this is on price but also on reputation. No one would buy junk. But what % does this account for? I would bet its less than you think and remember these numbers do not include cab and chassis like a service industry would buy 90% of the time.

I would also be curious to see what % of GM sales are over seas. I had seen about a year ago when they were bankrupt that overseas sales were the fastest growing market and accounted for something like 30% of its total sales figures.

Not that this is scientific but on my road there are 14 homes. Of them homes there are 11 Fords, 1 Nissan, 4 Dodges, and 4 GM's. These are just pickup trucks. There are cars and SUV's also but thats the ratio around here.

Chris

/ 2010 Truck Sales Figures
I'm just swagging it but I would imagine the diesel percentage is slightly higher for Dodge and lower for Chevy compared to Fords but that's probably a good ballpark range.
At least around here closer to eight or nine out of ten 3/4 and 1 ton Dodges are Cummins powered based on observation.:)

I think you may be right about Dodge. I would guess its about 75% diesel here but the GM ratio is about 60% diesel from my best guess.

Chris

/ 2010 Truck Sales Figures #6  
I would not say Ford dumps the trucks at the end of the year. Look at what the phone company drives, the wreckers are, ect. Ford does a great job selling to the service industries. I am sure this is on price but also on reputation. No one would buy junk. But what % does this account for? I would bet its less than you think and remember these numbers do not include cab and chassis like a service industry would buy 90% of the time.

I would also be curious to see what % of GM sales are over seas. I had seen about a year ago when they were bankrupt that overseas sales were the fastest growing market and accounted for something like 30% of its total sales figures.

Not that this is scientific but on my road there are 14 homes. Of them homes there are 11 Fords, 1 Nissan, 4 Dodges, and 4 GM's. These are just pickup trucks. There are cars and SUV's also but thats the ratio around here.

Chris

GM's over seas sales are cars and mainly in China. Don't see many GM trucks over there except government Suburbans..It's always been that way.

Many fleet buyers wait until year end for the best price. They have enough rotation to hold out. Didn't say Ford was lower quality, because they aren't and I've never even hinted at that. Just different preferences for those of us in "fly-over" country.

Not arguing...This has been well documented for decades.

/ 2010 Truck Sales Figures #7  
So, I was on on a special elk hunt draw earlier this year at coal mine property. For insurance reasons we had to use their crew cabs on the haul roads (the mine is not in service, so we were the only ones out there which was nice). So anyway, the trucks were all Fords so I asked the guy about it as it sounded like it was falling apart but looked rather new. His response was that the mine has used all of the Big 3 at one point or another and none of them were that great, but the reason they are all Ford now was because Ford was way ahead of GM and Dodge for fleet maintenance agreements. Now, these are all bed trucks, not chassis cabs, so after reading this thread I wonder how many other companies choose Ford because of the service plan and hence their overall numbers look better. Just something to ponder I suppose...

/ 2010 Truck Sales Figures #8  
So, I was on on a special elk hunt draw earlier this year at coal mine property. For insurance reasons we had to use their crew cabs on the haul roads (the mine is not in service, so we were the only ones out there which was nice). So anyway, the trucks were all Fords so I asked the guy about it as it sounded like it was falling apart but looked rather new. His response was that the mine has used all of the Big 3 at one point or another and none of them were that great, but the reason they are all Ford now was because Ford was way ahead of GM and Dodge for fleet maintenance agreements. Now, these are all bed trucks, not chassis cabs, so after reading this thread I wonder how many other companies choose Ford because of the service plan and hence their overall numbers look better. Just something to ponder I suppose...

That's certainly possible. I'm not well versed on fleet service agreements. The consumer warranties are all fairly similar now. GM and Dodge are both 100K powertrain. I'd guess Ford is as well.

/ 2010 Truck Sales Figures #9  
No wonder Ford can brag about the F series is number one in sales for 33 years.

/ 2010 Truck Sales Figures #10  
Chris,
This is kind of a dog bites man storey, not really surprising.

But coming from the Dodge/Cummins camp one thing stands out and I guess it's not really big news either but looking at the HD diesel (estimated) truck sales, Dodge has a higher market share, of course not higher than Ford or GM but a a much closer ratio. which is 100% atributable to the great I-6.

Around here actual ownership probably closely matchs actual sales with more Fords on the road followed by GM then Dodge.

I'd love to see some numbers on the chassis/cab sales. Dodge has only been making them since 07 but shortly after that the economy tanked. The dealer where I bought mine, not really a big HD truck dealer, had the first two 3500 Rams they brought in for 2 years sitting there. Pretty sad, I've not seen many on the road at all, especialy since like I'm always quick to point out they are a very capable truck.
Designed to closely compete with Ford for that HD class 3,4 and 5 upfitter market, which Ford totally owns off the charts compared to bed truck sales.
Just not sure how that's going, based on my observations, not to good, though I don't really see a lot of brand new Fords on the road either???

John