2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #41  
I'm sure the disconnect would help mileage , but not strength the U joints do wear out this is the one for the other side of the 03 front axle replacing the one that just started binding yesterday at 104,500 the other side went about 2500 miles ago.

At least they are consistent failure mode at less than 2% variance:laughing: but they are beefyView attachment 315564 got to go fix my AAM axle I do think the strength is at least equal to the Dana, and btw I like Dana axles to...
OOps that picture is deceptive the u-joints diameter is not larger than a DVD but is darn close...

I work for a Ram truck dealer and I can say the the '03+ trucks eat front end parts compared to the old 2nd Gen Cummins trucks. From tie rods to ball joints to u-joints. The only part that seems better to me is the track bar.

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs
I work for a Ram truck dealer and I can say the the '03+ trucks eat front end parts compared to the old 2nd Gen Cummins trucks. From tie rods to ball joints to u-joints. The only part that seems better to me is the track bar.

Yeah I guess the strength vs. longevity is a thin line... I would probably agree about the parts wear rates are faster on the AAM. Also believe the 1500s are worse on parts wear due to the non solid axle design.

But as far as taking a new 1 ton with a Dana vs. the AAM and then doing some backwoods durability testing - like hooking a chain between the the two trucks and seeing which one breaks an axle, spider gear or snaps a u joint -my moneys on the AAM... I have heard there are videos of this exact test (abuse) ...??? maybe I heard wrong?? Had Danas in all my jeeps but the largest axle was a 60 in an old j 3000.. I lost count of how many front U-joints I had to repace.. and that's using Spicer joints. none ever made over 50,000 miles.

I have also heard that Dodge has a test where they put the 3500 in 4x4 on pavement and then crank the steering wheel to lock and just drive around hopping the front end for quite a while and don't experiance any damage... ??

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #43  
The AAM axles may be a bit stronger, I don't know. The 60/80 combo in a truck like mine is a stout combo no matter how you slice it. Without a doubt tougher than what Ford and GM offered in comparable trucks. Some Fords had a 60/80 combo, but that required a DRW F350. Most 3/4t Fords are 50/10.5 Sterling.

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #44  
Looks like Dodge is on top of the towing ratings...can these #s be right WOW

GCWR-37,600lbs.
385 HP 850lbs.ft. Cummins
17,000lbs. class 5 integrated hitch w/1800lbs. tongue weight

Nice to see the rating. I can tell you that 1 tons in the oilfield hotshot business have been grossing this for a long time. My 04 Dodge is currently setup for a GCWR of 36,000 lbs. That gives me roughly 19,500 lbs cargo capacity to play with . I dont like more than 15,000, but better to pay extra on the plates than pay at the scale when loaded heavy. Truck has right 400k on it now and started life out as a hotshot pulling a 40' GN and I got out of hotshotting for awhile now back into it. Companies that lease on here, they will not lease a 1 ton with 40' G/N that is not willing to haul up to 15k in cargo weight. One of the companies require atleast 18k. Its been like this since 1994 when I first got into hotshotting. Reading the comments about the truck handling weight, sure it will with the right trailer setup and brakes. I will say I HATE electric brakes on 20k rated trailers. I used to run vacuum over hydraulic, tried the electric over hydraulic when that first came out, went back to V/H. Now have E/H and it works good, alot of improvements since the first ones.

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #45  

That's because the stock parts have no provision for grease (zerks). Bean counters strike again!

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #46  
Where are the rating charts for the new truck. I cant find anything so far except that it can pull a 30,000 lbs trailer and GCWR 37,600 lbs, then chart for the 2012 trucks...Hmmm may have to go look at a new one

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #47  
About the closest anology when comparing a semi to a one ton would be a single axle pulling a set of wiggle wagons grossing 80,000 lbs. The single will pull and stop okay (if all the brake sets are in spec) but the driver is going to have to "work" harder than they would with a nice long wheelbase tandem. Not to mention, the tractor will jossle (beat the stuffing out of) you around big time.

Not bragging here but I have had my share of miles behind me in all seasons, all weather and pretty much all terrain. Flats, including stretch flats, dumps, doubles, vans and some tank, I have paid my dues so to speak. I will also tell you that semi tractors can easily handle well over 80k gross loads and handle just fine and this is nothing new. Back in the bad old 73,280 days, I used to gross over 90k pulling fence posts in the spring when the sap came up.

Granted, Dodge has progressed since the 97' I pulled heavy enough with that I had to put it in low range to get moving. But, I pulled similar loads with my FL70 and you would not even know that the trailer was back there as far as handling, etc.

I for one do not agree that one ton trucks should be so dependent on the trailer brakes to get stopped. (Real trucks have real engine brakes for the most part for one) I also feel that anyone grossing over 26k should have a CDL of some sort.

And, no offense to the "hotshots" but I feel the concept is a threat to public safety. But then I think the "heavy" RV crowd ought to be further educated and licensed in all 50 states.

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #48  
About the closest anology when comparing a semi to a one ton would be a single axle pulling a set of wiggle wagons grossing 80,000 lbs. The single will pull and stop okay (if all the brake sets are in spec) but the driver is going to have to "work" harder than they would with a nice long wheelbase tandem. Not to mention, the tractor will jossle (beat the stuffing out of) you around big time.

Not bragging here but I have had my share of miles behind me in all seasons, all weather and pretty much all terrain. Flats, including stretch flats, dumps, doubles, vans and some tank, I have paid my dues so to speak. I will also tell you that semi tractors can easily handle well over 80k gross loads and handle just fine and this is nothing new. Back in the bad old 73,280 days, I used to gross over 90k pulling fence posts in the spring when the sap came up.

Granted, Dodge has progressed since the 97' I pulled heavy enough with that I had to put it in low range to get moving. But, I pulled similar loads with my FL70 and you would not even know that the trailer was back there as far as handling, etc.

I for one do not agree that one ton trucks should be so dependent on the trailer brakes to get stopped. (Real trucks have real engine brakes for the most part for one) I also feel that anyone grossing over 26k should have a CDL of some sort.

And, no offense to the "hotshots" but I feel the concept is a threat to public safety. But then I think the "heavy" RV crowd ought to be further educated and licensed in all 50 states.
Like you I have had my share of the big trucks and loads well into 100k range. I will be one of the few that believe you need to learn how to drive with no engine/jake brakes. learn how to drive and brake with the equipments stock system. Example, drop off Vail grossing 96k, over width and gear down in right gear you when roll off the top, get to the bottom with no smoke and no Jakes, thats a driver. Too easy to get used to a jake, roll off the top in to high of a gear....then lose the jake and then what???The hotshot statement does not offend me, been doing it for so long, the lack of understanding is amusing to me. I do agree on the heavy RV crowd and educated statement.

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #49  
I have well over a million miles in the seat of peterbilts pulling end dump, hoppers, and tanks. I have always told my wife that i believe you should have some sort of common sense license to pull these huge 5th wheel trailers or heavy RV's. Some of these drivers are the ones that scare me the most on the highway. The beat up farm truck grossly overload doesnt bother me a bit because im relatively sure that he has grown up doing it and has the common sense to keep it under control as opposed to the 2013 one ton towing a brand new camper with an idiot ,who has never gotten his hands dirty,behind the wheel.

/ 2013 dodge 3500 HD trailer towing uprated to 30,000lbs #50  
Status
Not open for further replies.