2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #1  

deerefan

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103
I would like some feedback from you fellows regarding these 2 trucks. A life change has necessatated the need for a crew cab. I looked at the Tundra yesterday. Likes- alot of features ( cupholders, power outlets, storage), huge inside, free maint for 2 years, plenty of power (5.7). Dislike- limited interior color (I prefer darker), fuel mileage stinks, 5.5 ft bed. I am looking at a XLT Ford today, both eco boost and 5.0. Thoughts?

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #2  
I bought last year and briefly looked into Toyota, but didn't like their engine or bed options. I bought a F150 XL with the 5.0 engine extra cab and an 8 ft bed. After almost a year, I love the engine and cant imagine having a smaller bed. At 8ft, it's still not big enough!!

Eddie

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #3  
What are the dealers like? In my area the Ford dealer sucks while Toyata dealer is excellent. That is why I have Toyota's.

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford
oldnslo said:
What are the dealers like? In my area the Ford dealer sucks while Toyata dealer is excellent. That is why I have Toyota's.

The Toyota dealer seemed nice. I will let you know on the Ford dealer today. The Ford dealer closest to me is terrible, not giving them any more business.

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #5  
My local dealer is very nice, but too high on their prices. In fact, there are about half a dozen Ford dealers in my area and none of them came close to the online price listed by a dealer over an hour away from me, near Dallas. I did a search 100 miles out and looked for what I wanted at every dealership. I figured their online price was negotiable, but when I showed the local dealers the online price from the dealer an hour away, they didn't bother to talk to me any more.

Shop around, prices vary quite a bit for the exact same thing.

Eddie

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #6  
How many miles do you drive a year. Do you need towing capacity?

I looked at both two years ago and ended up with a crew f150 ecoboost. If you don't tow or like to hot rod, I would recommend the 5.0 liter. One thing I like with the Toyota was the reclining rear seat but couldn't stomach the MPG. I haven't driven an 8-speed dodge yet but would have to if in the market now. They have nice interiors but the payload values limit towing capacity. My ecoboost has 27,000 miles on it now without a hiccup and is very quiet and as fun to drive as you can get in a truck.

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #7  
I don't know where you guys are coming from with Toyota's fuel mileage? I've owned my Tundra since July of '07; 5.7, Double Cab, 4X4, 6.5' box, with the towing package(4.30 gears) and I regularly get 19+mpg interstate if I keep it under 75mph, 17mpg on the state roads(35mph to 55mph) and 9.5 to 10.5mpg towing a pair of antique pulling tractors to fairs/meets that weigh 3500 and 5500 respectively, but I'm not sure what the trailer weighs(Bri Mar 14,000lb bumper-pull). These are hand calculated fuel mileages, not the dream meter's. I've got 93,000 on the clock and just had the brakes done; nothing else besides oil/filter changes and those are at 10,000 miles on synthetic oil: I've never had to add between changes. No question the Fords are a very nice truck(I had an '05 Lariat that I didn't have very good luck with and traded it on the Tundra with 25,000 miles on it), but don't be so quick to throw the Tundra under the bus

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford
Patches said:
I don't know where you guys are coming from with Toyota's fuel mileage? I've owned my Tundra since July of '07; 5.7, Double Cab, 4X4, 6.5' box, with the towing package(4.30 gears) and I regularly get 19+mpg interstate if I keep it under 75mph, 17mpg on the state roads(35mph to 55mph) and 9.5 to 10.5mpg towing a pair of antique pulling tractors to fairs/meets that weigh 3500 and 5500 respectively, but I'm not sure what the trailer weighs(Bri Mar 14,000lb bumper-pull). These are hand calculated fuel mileages, not the dream meter's. I've got 93,000 on the clock and just had the brakes done; nothing else besides oil/filter changes and those are at 10,000 miles on synthetic oil: I've never had to add between changes. No question the Fords are a very nice truck(I had an '05 Lariat that I didn't have very good luck with and traded it on the Tundra with 25,000 miles on it), but don't be so quick to throw the Tundra under the bus

My info is based on the window sticker.

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #9  
AHA, I've historically bettered the EPA mileage estimates on almost every new truck I've purchased EXCEPT the Lariat I traded, but that had more than fuel issues. The EPA estimates are for comparison and I've found they aren't very good at that, even

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #10  
19+ with 4.30 Gears is pretty darn good. I had a 01 F250 5.4 with 3.73 that got the best at 16.5 Mpg