2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #211  
The torque chart above shows exactly why I choose the 5.7L Hemi, considering I had the Chevy 5.3L dog motor. Look at how far you gotta rev that thing to get any torque out of it. What a pig! :yuck:

The Hemi takes care of me, as I tow moderate loads sporadically. For those towing heavy loads more frequently, I would think the arguement for diesel becomes stronger because the Ford EB fuel consumption should drop quite a bit, seeing as it is still a stoicheometric gasoline engine, right?

I guess I still don't see the case for the EB engine - much more expensive than the naturally aspirated V8s, so would not buy for light/moderate towing. Poorer fuel mileage than diesel for heavy towing, and debatable durability?

:confused3:

That torque curve is why I purchased the ecoboost. I liked the ram too but the low payload numbers wouldn't work with my trailer and family on camping trips. The ecoboost was cheaper than the 6.2 liter it replaces so it isn't more expensive.

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #212  
My buddy just traded his 2012 EB in on a new Tundra because the intercooler kept leaking. He likes the truck but not the mileage.

Are you sure it was leaking. That doesn't sound reasonable. He might be one who experienced the condensation issues. A leak would be an easy fix.

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #213  
That torque curve is why I purchased the ecoboost. I liked the ram too but the low payload numbers wouldn't work with my trailer and family on camping trips. The ecoboost was cheaper than the 6.2 liter it replaces so it isn't more expensive.

That is interesting. I wonder why Ram payload is low? I've seen lots of discussion about this, along with much speculation, but not many facts.

How does the ecoboost perform for you? Are there durability / reliability concerns with such a highly boosted engine & twin turbos/wastegates?

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #214  
Don't forget, you also have to burn premium fuel in the EB to reach those numbers you're talking about.

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #215  
I checked my truck over lunch period.....it is rated for 1250-1530 pound payload, 5000 pound towing. It is a 2012 Ram 1500 crew cab with 5.7L Hemi engine, 4x4.

That's good enough for me, I usually pull a 3,000 pound trailer (weight of trailer & load).

Obviously anyone wanting commercial-weight towing would need more vehicle.

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #217  
FALSE!
Ecoboost makes stated power on 87 octane.

Are you sure? I could've sworn, back when I cared to read about it, that 365hp/420tq was advertised on high octane fuel only...

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #218  
That is interesting. I wonder why Ram payload is low? I've seen lots of discussion about this, along with much speculation, but not many facts.

How does the ecoboost perform for you? Are there durability / reliability concerns with such a highly boosted engine & twin turbos/wastegates?

As far as the rams low payload, what do you mean by speculation and not many facts? These are numbers easily seen on any truck door sticker or published values from the manufacturer. It is a fact that Ram has the lowest payload compared to every other truck in the half ton segment.

My truck just turned 30,000 miles and so far no issues (Knock on wood). I have no reason to believe there to be a durability issue. Still selling like hotcakes with some reaching high mileage by now.

I checked my truck over lunch period.....it is rated for 1250-1530 pound payload, 5000 pound towing. It is a 2012 Ram 1500 crew cab with 5.7L Hemi engine, 4x4.

That's good enough for me, I usually pull a 3,000 pound trailer (weight of trailer & load).

Obviously anyone wanting commercial-weight towing would need more vehicle.

Your payload is a single value that is found on a sticker on your door. I would bet it would be rated to tow more than 5000 lbs but that depends on the gears your truck has. My truck does NOT have the heavy duty payload option and it's sticker is 1835 lbs payload. With you only towing 3000 lbs, probably a non issue. I tow a trailer with 900 lbs tongue weight and a 600 lb 4-wheeler in the bed on occasion and need the payload capacity.

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #219  
Are you sure? I could've sworn, back when I cared to read about it, that 365hp/420tq was advertised on high octane fuel only...

Actually I am quite certain. In fact I have read burning premium adds 20 HP. I would be interested if you did find it different.

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #220  
Actually I am quite certain. In fact I have read burning premium adds 20 HP. I would be interested if you did find it different.

The 5.0 jumps to 375hp on E85.