Tires 2018 GC1720 Tires Splitting after just 20 hours of mowing the grass?

/ 2018 GC1720 Tires Splitting after just 20 hours of mowing the grass? #1  

Nacademus

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1720
20 Hours on this tractor. All while mowing a completely flat grassy lot. I got my tractor at the end of September last year and only used it a handful of times before the weather turned.

I took it out of my garage yesterday to wash the dust off of it and noticed that both front tires seem to be splitting. They are splitting in nearly the same spot on either side.

These are Carlisle R4 tires.

Anyone else have this issue? I don't think this is normal or safe. Please take a look at my photos and let me know what you think. I called my dealer and they said that tires aren't a warranty item. They are looking to contact a supplier or whoever about seeing what can be done for me-but this can't be normal or safe.

I'll take better photos tonight when I can.
t5.pngt4.pngt3.pngt2.png

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 297
   / 2018 GC1720 Tires Splitting after just 20 hours of mowing the grass? #2  
Ya that's not normal at all.. I have trackloader tires on mine, that is what it came new with and three years no cracks.. 20 hours? I would be on the phone and sending pictures to the dealer..

Those tires were defective from the getgo, they should replace them.. If they don't, call agco and open a trouble ticket, they will contact the dealer and light a fire under their you know what..

/ 2018 GC1720 Tires Splitting after just 20 hours of mowing the grass? #3  
I have a 2016 GC 1710 with the same tires as yours with just under 200 hours.
My tires do not look anything like yours. They still look good.

/ 2018 GC1720 Tires Splitting after just 20 hours of mowing the grass?
Thanks!! I'll circle back with the dealer tomorrow. If they don't have pleasant news for me and replacements on the way I'll have to contact Agco.

/ 2018 GC1720 Tires Splitting after just 20 hours of mowing the grass? #5  
Check to see if there is a date stamp on tires, manufacture may have had a bad run of tires.... Mine (2017 purchase) look pretty much like new.... May have to go back to manufacturer for any satisfaction...

Dale

20190423_234428.jpg

/ 2018 GC1720 Tires Splitting after just 20 hours of mowing the grass? #7  
Are you certain they’re actually cracked? They look like cuts to me. Maybe spinning up a trailer ramp?

/ 2018 GC1720 Tires Splitting after just 20 hours of mowing the grass? #8  
Are you certain they’re actually cracked? They look like cuts to me. Maybe spinning up a trailer ramp?

At first glance that is what it looks like. Looking at the base of the tread blocks, even in the corners, similar lines. I don't think that could happen without chunks being ripped out. Something wrong with the belting/molding process I think.

I've never put it on a trailer or anything. It was delivered on a rollback.

The cuts are razor thin and go through the lugs entirely and appear on the groove as well. I think I would have had to drive over razor knives to get this kind of surgical precision without eventually cutting the cord or whatever.

My nearly 20 year old Cub Cadet 3205 which has been the lawn mower mule on my 4 acre grass plot still has the original tires and 1500hrs on it. So it's not something hidden in the yard.

/ 2018 GC1720 Tires Splitting after just 20 hours of mowing the grass? #10  
Some of the very first pics I took of my tractor were of the tires, for the same reason. It doesn't really show up too well in the pic below, but there were enough cracks in the tires I could've sworn they were used! Maybe sat in the sun too long...? Don't know, but disappointing to say the least.

I have turfs on my 2007 GC2310 which was delivered in Feb of 2008. I was concerned, just as you are, about all the small cracks/splits I could see in the tires, even though the casting **** were still there on the edges. (Interesting, I just now see that the date on the pic is 5/9/2005...even with the snow on the ground... not sure where that's from! It was definitely taken in the winter of 2008.)

The dealer was no help (maybe I just didn't make enough noise), and I still have the same tires after 11 years and 850 hrs... BUT-- I did have to put a tube in one of the fronts, as one of the "splits" between the tread lugs started leaking after about 6 years. I just got tired of having to add air every time I wanted to use it. Meanwhile, the dealer went under.

Not much help, but as I said, I still have the same tires and they still work, but it still bugs me to a point. Seems like a lot of these small tires were maybe made in China or something and seem to "weather crack" very quickly.

DSC01014.JPG