2020 GMC Denali purchase?

/ 2020 GMC Denali purchase? #61  
GM is dead to me. I got burned with a brand new 2001 GMC 6.2L gas. Piston slap, sounded louder than a school bus starting cold at -40oC. Burned 0.5L-1.0L of engine oil every fuel up starting from new. GM told me that 5.5L of oil burned every 5,000km was acceptable and normal. FU GM.

GM bought a lot of bad will and has lost all my business for the last 20 years. Buyer beware.

/ 2020 GMC Denali purchase? #62  
GM is dead to me. I got burned with a brand new 2001 GMC 6.2L gas. Piston slap, sounded louder than a school bus starting cold at -40oC. Burned 0.5L-1.0L of engine oil every fuel up starting from new. GM told me that 5.5L of oil burned every 5,000km was acceptable and normal. FU GM.

GM bought a lot of bad will and has lost all my business for the last 20 years. Buyer beware.

Sorry to hear that. I always had a lot of faith in GM drivetrains.
I have a 08 Tahoe with a 5.3L. Won’t strike fear into anyone who wants to race me, but gets the job done very well. I have 211,000 on it with only a timing chain & guides. Did a new oil pump while I was in there. Still runs like a champ. No rust. She’s loaded to the gills and still looks good, so I’m keeping it as a beater for me and the kids to drive. Big and safe. Carries anything with back seats out. My wife thinks we oughta sell it, but what’s it worth? $5,000? For that Id rather have the title in my safe and an extra reliable non rusted vehicle around.

/ 2020 GMC Denali purchase? #63  
I have a 2012 Escalade with the 6.2l and I've had 3 other GMC 1500's with the 6.2...Those are my favorite GM engines--They run exceptionally well and never had a problem with any of them. I did have the 8speed in a 2016 5.3 and didn't really like the way it shifted and the engine braking was non-existent in comparison to the 6 speeds I had in the 6.2's.

I like the new Yukons, yeah they are spendy but if you got the money--Go for it..My 2019 2500 Duramax Denali was 73k sticker, got it for just over 62 new. I always put a minimum of 50% down on expensive vehicle purchases. Hurts less that way and I have some room if things would go south on me. Not too awful concerned about the DMAX given what these are going for used--YIKES!

Last edited:
   / 2020 GMC Denali purchase? #64  

Too bad you had such a bad experience. Worse still to carry that burden to this day. I've had Ford trucks and never had a bad problem with them like that. Never had a problem like that with GM either. The last Ford truck I had back in early 1970's burned a little oil but it was an old used company truck when I got it so my expectations were not high. Wife got me to let her use it as a trade in on a new Toyota Corolla in 1979.

Most all the trucks today are pretty good. You could get a lemon with any brand.

My old 1995 Chevy 1500 is still rolling strong and not using any oil at around 275,000 miles. Mainly used as a farm truck now. Very dependable one too.

/ 2020 GMC Denali purchase? #65  
You can get a lemon with any vehicle but it is how the company deals with you that makes the difference. My 2013 subaru crosstrek started burning oil at 100,000km by 150,000 km it was burning 1 quart every 4000 km's. subaru changed the entire short block and it didn't cost me a dime I have 265,000 km's on it now and is still going strong.

they took care of me with my last vehicle also. 2002 impreza had the short block replaced at 72,000 km and didn't have one problem with the engine until i sold it at 378,000 km.

that is why my next car will also be a subaru. too bad they don't make a pickup yet.

/ 2020 GMC Denali purchase? #66  
all the big companies will ignore the problem because they sell so many trucks that it is too expensive to fix the problem right.

/ 2020 GMC Denali purchase? #67  
Lemons and Ford bailout debate aside:

My friend has a 2011 Denali Yukon with the 6.2L engine and 6 speed. Nice, comfortable truck, no rust, drives like new and gets respectable highway mileage. We drove to OH and back and averaged about 22 mpg. Not bad in a rolling living room. If the new one's are similar, you will be very happy with it.

/ 2020 GMC Denali purchase? #68  

If it were mine, the thing would have gotten totaled "somehow". :fiery:

/ 2020 GMC Denali purchase? #69  
Anytime I see vehicle prices like that I cringe. Our first house was $20K. Our 20 acres was $30K. Our current house was $60K. I realize times are changing, and I don't hold anything against someone that can afford it. My wife and I can afford it. However, it just leaves me with a sour stomach.

About 10 years ago my wife, who works at a financial institution, started telling me about people taking out loans for $50K SUVs and pickup trucks. I guess I'm just a little tight with the money. :rolleyes:

ME TOO !!!

Last NEW car I bought was in 1992, and that was for my Ex, unfortunately, it was just before she left for her boyfriend.

/ 2020 GMC Denali purchase?

Had a terrible brand new 1978 volkswagon rabbit No more Volkswagon for me..laffin My 2006 ford 150 was a turd my 2002 chevy 1500 with 5.3 had the piston slap also.This is my first GM purchase since then.Picked it up this morning..Hopefully the 6.2 motor will be better.Wait and see approach.

Last edited: