2022 Bobcat T66

/ 2022 Bobcat T66 #1  

gatorguy7

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD, Kubota, Ford
I picked up a new Bobcat T66 back in January. I've now had it a couple months and thought I'd post some feedback on it for others interested. A little background on me and my use for the machine, I'm a cattle rancher and my family has some timber as well. I wanted to get a compact track loader for heavy front end loader work, fence building, brush cutting etc. We have tractors with front end loaders but their lifting capacity is rather limited. I have a cousin who has a 299 Cat which he uses for mulching jobs. I knew I didn't want to get into anything that big or costly. I rented a Bobcat T595 to see how I could use a CTL in our operation and compare it to the other equipment we have.

When I was shopping, I looked into a Kubota SVL75, John Deere 325 and Bobcat. Kubota and Deere didn't have anything in stock. Bobcat had a few in stock. I credit this with my dealer who owns all of the locations in Florida just about so it gives them a lot to pull from. I also was most impressed with Bobcat's service. The local dealership has about 8 service bays with the location in Orlando having maybe triple that. Kubota has just finally started rolling out mobile service but the techs are not the best. Deere service is ok as well but the nearest dealer is over an hour away. I really liked the roll up door in the Kubota

2022 Bobcat T66, 74 HP, no DEF or DPF, DOC only, 8,927 lbs, 17.6gpm flow, 2,450lbs rated capacity, 7,000 lbs tipping load, 7.2/10.2mph travel speed. I also purchased a 74" bucket and post auger

IMG_6334.jpg

IMG_6482.jpg

The new R series Bobcats have quite a few changes. The loader arms were redesigned with cast-steel components instead of plate welded. This helps improve visibility. Coming from using a tractor for grading and loader work, the visibility from a CTL is awesome. The T66 I purchased has the deluxe package so it has a HVAC cab, touch screen radio with bluetooth, backup camera. My machine has standard flow of 17.6 gpm. I really wanted a high flow unit which is 26.9 gpm. There were no high flows available and I didn't really plan on buying any implements that used high flow so I settled for standard flow.

I really like the display! Its fast, functional and loaded with features.

IMG_7533.jpg

After I zeroed in on Bobcat, I looked at the T66 and the T76. They share the same engine but the 76 is a little bigger so it boasts a high hydraulic flow, lifting capacity and overall dimensions (width, length, weight etc). Some reports on the T76 said it might be a little underpowered at 74HP. I believe Bobcat kept it at this HP because over 75 you have to have DEF. I decided with the T66 as it was more than big enough for what I was going to use it for. All things considered, I'd rather have a smaller machine thats overpowered than a bigger machine thats underpowered.

I had the salesman include wider 15.7" multi-bar/cat style tracks as opposed to the narrow C bar tracks that came on the machine. I was told they outfit the machines with the narrower tracks to keep them more comparable in price to Kubota. The multibar tracks are much more forgiving on turf so I don't have to worry about rutting up pastures. The wider tracks definitely increased flotation as well. One of the first things I did was dig post holes on a freshly plowed fire lane. I couldn't believer how a 9,000 lb machine floated on top of the soft soil compared to a wheeled machine like a tractor or even a fourwheeler.

IMG_6861.jpg
IMG_6859.jpg

The new R series loaders shifted the engine to be inline with the machine. This makes serviceability much better with plenty of access to the engine. The radiator and intercooler tip up to provide access to the top of the engine. There's enough side on either side of the engine to step into it which is unheard of in skid steers.

The joystick controls are very fluid and smooth. You can still get hand and foot control in Bobcat but I wanted the standard joystick control (loader control on the right, machine movement on the left). The loader joystick controls are identical to tractor loader controls. The difference between this machine and a tractor front end loader is you can make fine movements so much easier and controlled.

I picked up a Eterra Stump Planer which goes on the post auger. It works great for taking care of small stumps. Its not the same as a stump grinder but I really like the result. Anytime I've hired someone to grind stumps, they barely go below the surface which results in patch of ground that won't grow grass and eventually develops a hole from the stump rotting.

IMG_7459.jpg

Last edited:
   / 2022 Bobcat T66
My favorite use of the T66 has to be using the Diamond Brush Cutter. Its sized for 17-20 gpm and my machine runs it perfectly with 17.6 gpm. It is a very heavy duty built mower. With my flow, I didn't expect to use it to clear land or anything. However, I wanted to be able to maintain fence lines, cut back vines, mow ditch banks etc. So far this mower has matched my needs perfectly. It does not take long for the mower to spool back up after getting into something too thick. It is great to have a bush how mounted on a loader but you have to be careful with slinging debris around. Its nice to make small movements as opposed to running a bush hog behind a tractor.

IMG_7517.jpg

IMG_7539.jpg

IMG_7541.jpg

The last attachment I picked up was a Danuser Intimidator post puller. I has a lot of old fence to pull up. I like the idea of the Danuser model as it has to many more used than just pulling up posts. It comes with serrated jaws for cutting roots and tree limbs. The excavator teeth helps it dig to free up stubbord trees. The jaws have a much larger reach than standard tree pullers as well.

IMG_6552.jpg

IMG_7276 1.jpg

IMG_6546.jpg

/ 2022 Bobcat T66
I'm really glad I went with the smaller machine as its easy to fit in my dump trailer. I normally haul it with my flatbed gooseneck but its nice to be able to haul it in the dump trailer too for cleanup jobs.

IMG_7609.jpg

IMG_7572.jpg

/ 2022 Bobcat T66 #4  
Nice setup! Love the cutter!

/ 2022 Bobcat T66 #5  
Glad you like the T66. I got one at work this spring with all the same options except for one very important difference that caused me to give it to the other guys and keep my t590. Everyone at my work uses hand and foot controls and I've been using them for about 4000 hours so we stuck with that. Unfortunately Bobcat switched from direct linkages on the bucket controls to electric over hydraulic. The forward and reverse are still mechanical linkages and i have no complaints. The bucket controls are unacceptably laggy to me. Even after having our salesman that we have worked with for many years do everything he could to adjust them, they just aren't good enough. He freely admits that he's had many buyers complain about the controls. The solenoids that actuate the valves just can't move as fast or accurate as direct human input. My primary job with the Bobcat is to go behind the excavator on new construction homes and finish grade in preparation for landscape and irrigation. Much of that is tucking dirt in along new concrete, foundations and utilities. Literally hundreds of times on each job im bringing the bucket within an inch of things that cant get touched and the t66 just doesn't allow me to do that. I think for many other purposes the lag wouldn't be so problematic but i think its worth pointing out for people needing super pinpoint control. To be far, I haven't found any electric over hydraulic machine that controls as accurately as hydraulic over hydraulic or direct linkage machine.

So TLDR, If you are used to hand and foot controls you need to demo a T66 before committing to buy it because you may find the controls unacceptable for your application.

/ 2022 Bobcat T66
Yea I’ve heard about the foot controls not being as connected to feel anymore. I’ve never ran one setup like that.