2032R PTO Problem

/ 2032R PTO Problem #1  

Parkanzky

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 2032R
I just hooked my front-mount snowblower up to my new 2032R for the first time. This is also the first time I've ever tried to run anything off of a PTO on it (either Mid or Rear). The snowblower mounting gear went on with no issue. I got it all hooked up, had the tractor idling and engaged the mid-PTO. The snowblower started up. Success! I slowly bumped the throttle up a couple times, and it stopped turning (I was way below the rated PTO speed). To get it to run again, I had to shut the tractor off and restart it. Again, it spun at idle and disengaged when I bumped the revs up a bit. A couple times, the PTO stopped just sitting at idle. The PTO light on the dash never went out, so the switch still believes I want the PTO running.

Am I doing something wrong, or is it time to call my dealer for the first warranty repair? I was looking through the manual in case there's some kind of safety mechanism I'm missing, but I don't see anything.

The timing is terrible. I was getting everything hooked up for the first real snow of the season, which is coming tonight and tomorrow.

/ 2032R PTO Problem
I just went out and did an experiment. If I move the selector to the rear PTO, with nothing attached. I can engage the rear PTO. Sometimes it doesn't run and when it does run, it will stop when I increase the revs. That's with no load, so there's something wrong with my PTO and I don't think it has anything to do with the snowblower.

Unfortunately, the dealer is closed until Monday so I think I'm out of luck until then.

/ 2032R PTO Problem #3  
May be something to do with the sequence of events.

On my 4300, the rear PTO must be engaged for the mid PTO to be operational. From your description, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Other sequence may be the safety switches being accommodated in the correct order. Manual should spell those out.
But wish you luck in figuring it out before Monday.

/ 2032R PTO Problem
I have a lever that selects between rear, mid and rear, or mid PTOs. I'm having the same symptoms no matter where that lever is, so I don't think it's an issue with having a certain PTO running.

You're right that there may be safety switches that I am somehow neglecting. My 2032R has the reverse implement option switch on it, which you pull out to engage the PTO and pull further (and hold) to allow you to move in reverse with the PTO engaged. The snowblower mount comes with a device that disables that particular safety. The motor will still shut off if you leave the seat with the PTO engaged. I did try running it and pulling up on the switch the entire time, but it didn't change the behavior.

I looked at the manual, but it basically just says to start with the engine at idle, select which PTO(s) you want to run, pull that switch out to start it, and crank the throttle up to the rated engine RPM. I was really hoping that I was missing something.

/ 2032R PTO Problem #5  
I just mounted the 54 blower to my 2720 this afternoon. Your 2032R is basically the same tractor (although with RIO). It sounds like you are doing everything correctly. It sounds like there may be something wrong with the RIO override that is causing the tractor to falsely sense a trigger or just an electrical issue with your PTO circuit. Like you said, this is the first time you've ever ran anything from the PTO. I would call the dealer PRONTO and get it checked out. It could just be a loose connection.

/ 2032R PTO Problem
I'm going to call them first-thing in the morning to see when they can look at it. On a positive note, hooking the blower up wasn't too bad at all. I think that I can switch between the blower and the loader in fifteen or twenty minutes. I was worried that was going to be a bigger ordeal.

/ 2032R PTO Problem #7  
You are doing much better than me. This is my 2nd time swapping between the loader and snow blower and it takes me a couple hours. I keep thinking "Quick Hitch, what about this is quick?" :) Seriously, I think I just am being too careful. I tinker with the PTO hookup and always seem to have trouble grabbing the blower with the hitch. Last time the locking levers clicked right in and this time I had to wiggle it a bit. I store the blower on a wheeled wooden platform. Then I have to tinker with getting the hose routing just right so as to not have them damaged by the front tire chains, rub on the hood or rub anywhere else that will cause issues. Same with the remote spout control, I install an extra cable guide up at the grill guard to keep the cable away from the hood and away from the hot exhaust and of course the extra guide loop has to be removed during the summer as it interferes with the loader. What I need to do is take a few photos after I have things installed just right so I can quickly repeat the setup the following year. As it is it seems I am having to re-invent the wheel each season.

/ 2032R PTO Problem #8  
can you verify if you have the front pto sensor wire connected securely?

/ 2032R PTO Problem
can you verify if you have the front pto sensor wire connected securely?

You mean the RIO defeat that lives in the front quick-mount? I did plug that in and then tried it with and without it plugged in, and with and without the PTO switch pulled-out to the 2nd detent. I'm also having the issue with the rear PTO with no load on it.

It could very well be some kind of safety, but I don't understand the systems well enough to diagnose it. The dealer said that they'd try to send someone out this morning to look at it. I'm waiting for a confirmation from them so that I can run home from work to meet them.

/ 2032R PTO Problem
Just an update. They came out yesterday morning to look at the tractor. After playing with it, he suspected a failed microswitch in the parking brake lever, but didn't have a replacement in stock. He told me they'd have one today, and they called me at about 8:15 this morning to tell me they'd be here in an hour. He tore the tractor apart and replaced the switch, but it didn't fix the problem.

He went through the whole troubleshooting flowchart and tested everything he could. In the end, the only thing left seems to be the computer. The only way to test that is to replace it, so he's ordering one. The repair tech was extremely apologetic and seemed genuinely upset that they hadn't caught this during their pre-delivery inspections. To make sure that I was ready to deal with all the snow we just got, he pulled the blower and subframe off, mounted the loader, and turned the tines over on my box scraper.

It's frustrating to have a problem with my brand new tractor, but I feel like my dealer is doing everything they can to sort it out as quickly as possible.