2320 and 2520 Hydraulics

/ 2320 and 2520 Hydraulics #1  

PCABE5

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4066R Cab and loader
I have read on here the differences between the 2320 and 2520 hydraulics in that the 2520 has two pumps and the 2320 has only one.

Where are you getting this information? The 2320 gets power steering from the same place the 2520 does which is tied into the hydro cooler line and both have seperate implement pumps. They both have two pumps as far as I can tell with the difference is that the trans and implement pumps on each are different.

I was talking to the service manager today and he pulled the books out on both and showed how they are connected and that both have two pumps. Is there some other info showing that this is not the case. Hard to believe that the dealer books are wrong.

/ 2320 and 2520 Hydraulics #2  
PCABE5

To tell you the truth I have never looked. I thought my 2320 had 2 pumps one with 2.2 gpm and one with 3.4 gpm. The 2520 has two as well with both pumps being over 5 if I remember rightly (which is questionable sometimes let me tell you). Pressure is 2400 psi or so on the 2320 and 2520.

I am a pretty inexperienced tractor user but have had no problems with the speed of the FEL. If there was going to be a tractor trade-in in my future it would not be for a 2520. Now a 3520 hmmm, might be possible.:D

/ 2320 and 2520 Hydraulics #3  
Ditto what Edc said. I have always been told that the 2320 has one pump, but never took the time to check it out.:(

Boy a new 3520....think the DW would go for it?:rolleyes:

/ 2320 and 2520 Hydraulics #4  
According to my 2320 tech manual there is a single pump for the steering and rockshaft/SCV that is a 5.6 gpm pump that sends its output directly to a 60/40 "Divider Valve" thus John Deere's specs (5.6 * .6 = 3.36 JD quotes 3.4, and 5.6 * .4 = 2.24 and JD quotes 2.2).

As I don't have a 2520 tech manual, I can't verify if it also uses a proportioning valve, or if indeed it has two pumps for the steering and rockshaft/SCV.

/ 2320 and 2520 Hydraulics #5  
PCABE5 said:
Where are you getting this information? The 2320 gets power steering from the same place the 2520 does which is tied into the hydro cooler line and both have seperate implement pumps. They both have two pumps as far as I can tell with the difference is that the trans and implement pumps on each are different.

You're looking at the schematic wrong, you are referring to a sump side line, not a pressure side line. The steering output line feeds through the cooler lines before dumping into the transaxle sump, while the SCV and Rockshaft dump directly to the transaxle sump without going through the cooler. I'm surprised your dealer didn't point that out, as well as the fact that the 2320 does not have separate steering and implement pumps, but a proportioning valve from a single pump. So if the 2520 also has a sump side steering line feeding through the cooler back into the transaxle sump, that has nothing to do with where that fluid originated from in terms of pumps. I don't know if the 2520 has separate steering and rockshaft/scv pumps or not, but looking at the return lines as your dealer was pointing out won't tell us.

/ 2320 and 2520 Hydraulics #6  
I don't have my shop manual in front of me, but the 2520 definitely has two pumps. One is called a "charge" pump and runs the power steering, pto clutch and "make-up" (I think that's the phrase) which is, I assume, to keep pressure on the system when there are multiple uses at once, like steering and loader operation.

The other pump is called a variable piston pump and it powers everything else.

I think I got that right.

/ 2320 and 2520 Hydraulics #7  
Runner said:
One is called a "charge" pump and runs the power steering, pto clutch and "make-up" (I think that's the phrase) which is, I assume, to keep pressure on the system when there are multiple uses at once, like steering and loader operation.

Maybe that is where they differ, as the charge pump in the 2320 does not run the steering.

There are technically 3 pumps in the 2320 hydraulic system:

1. 14.3 GPM "Variable Displacement Pump" that feeds the HST.

2. 2.8 GPM "Charge Pump" outputs to a "Priority Control Valve" that either passes to the PTO clutch or dumps through the HST to the reverse loop in the HST.

3. 5.6 GPM "Hydraulic Pump" outputs to the 60/40 proportioning valve with 60% going to SCV and rockshaft control valves and 40% going to steering.

/ 2320 and 2520 Hydraulics
2Malamutes I'm not sure what you are saying in your 2nd post? What I was saying was the pressure line that comes off the Kanzaki 14.1 cu in hydro pump to the cooler, also supplies the power steering then finishes its trip through the cooler and back to the sump. Now I know that I got my information from service but the cooler diagram is pretty clear as to where it comes from and goes to.

The scv/rcv was powered by an auxillary Kanzaki 6.1 cu in gear driven pump.

Maybe the 2520 has three pumps? Hydro, and two auxillary pumps? Or is the single and dual pump only refering to the number of auxillary pumps?

The 2305 is set up simular to the 2320 but uses smaller Kanzaki pumps (11 cu in and 5.5 cu in).

Now with all this being said I am just trying to clarify and not piss anybody off. I have always been told by JD that the 2320 had two pumps from the day I took it for a drive to yesterday when I called them back for information on this issue.

/ 2320 and 2520 Hydraulics #9  
PCABE5 said:
2Malamutes I'm not sure what you are saying in your 2nd post? What I was saying was the pressure line that comes off the Kanzaki 14.1 cu in hydro pump to the cooler, also supplies the power steering then finishes its trip through the cooler and back to the sump. Now I know that I got my information from service but the cooler diagram is pretty clear as to where it comes from and goes to.

The scv/rcv was powered by an auxillary Kanzaki 6.1 cu in gear driven pump.

Sorry if I came across wrong, I am just trying to clarify as well. What I was saying is that the service manual hydraulics schematics do not agree with your statement above. See my post immediately preceding your above reply as to what the schematics show. Now maybe the schematic I have is wrong, and if it is I'd like to know as I just bought the manual, and it wasn't cheap, and I'll certainly be getting in touch with JD if I bought a manual that shows incorrect info.

Attachments

• Hydraulics.jpg
    Hydraulics.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 2,446
   / 2320 and 2520 Hydraulics
2Malamutes,

I was looking today for about an hour thru JD parts and I could not find a diverter valve listed except for the power beyond kit. Do you actually see one on your tractor, if so point me in that direction? I was looking and have not found it yet.

If you look at just what you can pull off line (attached) is a schematic of the steering lines and they do not show a diverter valve in there, nor is it coming off the implement pump (attached).

I'm not saying your tech manual is wrong, I'm just trying for my own clarification on the matter. I know what you mean about the price on that book I priced one once and it was almost $100 for the printed version and half for a CD-ROM.

Now my friend at JD just called me and he said that the 2520 has two Kanzaki 4.9 cu/in implement pumps. So this must be the "two" pumps that is talked about.

But he also said the 2320 implement pump runs the rcv and scv only, he said try driving and steering while loading and you should see no effect on the loader but try and run the 3pt and loader at the same time and one will time out until the other is done, rcv priority over scv.

Attachments

• 2320 Implement Pump2.jpg
    2320 Implement Pump2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,550
  • 2320 Steering2.jpg
    2320 Steering2.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,478