240D for sale

/ 240D for sale #1  

ArlyA

Super Star Member
Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
Tractor
Polaris Boss 6x6 with pods (tracks) Center actuating lawn mower by Husky
Spied this tractor at our friends house and its a 240D and she wants to sell it. Her late husband got it new in the 1980s. Hasn't been ran in 3 or 4 years. Should have asked if it has a loader but I'd guess not. What do you think, should i pursue it?
tractor998.jpg
tractor997.jpg

Last edited:
   / 240D for sale #2  
Tell her $4k at least. Maybe more depending on the local market. They're indestructible.

My 240 (2wd) looked a lot worse than that then after a month of tinkering - battery, ignition switch, etc it has now run 20 years with no issues at all that weren't owner - inflicted, such as ripping off a loader hose while rasseling a downed tree.

/ 240D for sale #4  
I would suspect the injector pump rack will be seized and clutch most likely as well. The engine may need freeing up too. Definitely not worth $4,000 to me. $1,200 to $1,500 at the most.

/ 240D for sale #5  
Do you think one could locate a loader for it in a three states area?
Maybe someone has a suggestion. Not me.

My loader is 'Great Bend', that has a subframe to the rear axle, so that ramming the loader into things or lurching fast with a loaded bucket can't hurt it. Don't consider a loader that lacks this.

One reason these are still attractive is they are genius-designed to be entirely owner maintained. No thermostat, no fuel lift pump, charging system same as 72 Datsun (Nissan), so replacements are available and cheap. Starter (replica) $100 on Ebay. Everything is simple and obvious. Mine has never seen, or needed, a pro mechanic so far as I know.

It's a twin to the Japan market YM2000 and thousands of those were brought in used, 'reconditioned', by importers so there is good parts availability here.

Research local prices and don't let her sell it too cheap. It may take as while to find a buyer but one is out there willing to pay what it's worth.

/ 240D for sale #6  
I would suspect the injector pump rack will be seized and clutch most likely as well. The engine may need freeing up too. Definitely not worth $4,000 to me. $1,200 to $1,500 at the most.
Why? I think more likely cranking it with a monster battery would start it like it ran yesterday. 4 years down shouldn't hurt anything.

Use the compression release for initial cranking in case there is water in the cylinders. I see a bucket over the exhaust so that shouldn't be a problem. It does apparently need a replacement muffler, $100.

I would check the fuel bowl for water first and after running a little, and the obvious oil and water checks. There's not much on these that would prevent starting.

Last edited:
   / 240D for sale #8  
I've owned a 226d for 30+ years, and I doubt you'll find a loader or a ROPS. They weren't as common back in the 1980s as today.

Hours on this machine?

Why was it parked outside for the past 3-4 years?

There is a clip on the clutch pedal that is supposed to be engaged to hold the clutch open when stored. If the clutch was left engaged for very long, my guess is the clutch will be stuck.

I'm not so sure I'd offer $4k even if it had been stored inside and was in known running condition.

Here's a B7100 at a dealer with a mower and a ROPs for $2880 that at least needs glow plugs. At least you know it runs. 1982 KUBOTA B7100 For Sale in Lewisburg, Tennessee

/ 240D for sale #9  
Would this tractor have a internal pump for a loader?
Yes. The Operator Manual shows how to use the divider block that is just ahead of the 3-point piston. This puts the loader's control in series ahead of the 3-point. Mine is plumbed that way.

With 4(?) gpm the loader isn't quick. But it sure is handy. Lift capacity around 750+ lbs.

/ 240D for sale
Yes. The Operator Manual shows how to use the divider block that is just ahead of the 3-point piston. This puts the loader's control in series ahead of the 3-point. Mine is plumbed that way.

With 4(?) gpm the loader isn't quick. But it sure is handy. Lift capacity around 750+ lbs.
I seen the original owners manual in her house. 750lbs is waaaay more than I can personally lift. :ROFLMAO: