240D for sale

/ 240D for sale
I've owned a 226d for 30+ years, and I doubt you'll find a loader or a ROPS. They weren't as common back in the 1980s as today.

Hours on this machine?

Why was it parked outside for the past 3-4 years?

There is a clip on the clutch pedal that is supposed to be engaged to hold the clutch open when stored. If the clutch was left engaged for very long, my guess is the clutch will be stuck.

I'm not so sure I'd offer $4k even if it had been stored inside and was in known running condition.

Here's a B7100 at a dealer with a mower and a ROPs for $2880 that at least needs glow plugs. At least you know it runs. 1982 KUBOTA B7100 For Sale in Lewisburg, Tennessee
I believe I seen 400 some hours on it. I'd guess this machine has spent 90% of its life outside.

/ 240D for sale #12  

OSHA certified ROPS (group 4) in stock. I think made by the same American firm that made them for Yanmar-USA back in the day. An example of replica parts shared by YM240 and YM2000.

/ 240D for sale #13  
Here's a B7100 at a dealer with a mower and a ROPs for $2880 that at least needs glow plugs. At least you know it runs. 1982 KUBOTA B7100 For Sale in Lewisburg, Tennessee
Prices vary, for different regions.

Local here - this CL ad includes:
"Kubota B7100 4wd (Diesel) w/ loader & wheel weights, hydraulics work & runs good. $4000"

/ 240D for sale #14  
It's terrific that a ROPs is available, but if you have to have a loader, I believe that's going to be harder to find.

My 226d has been very reliable.

If the 240d will run and you can get it for the right price, it could be a nice small tractor for trail mowing and grading with a rear blade. The 4wd is a plus. But I don't know that I'd pay $4,000 for it not knowing if it will run, whether the brakes work, the lift works, or the clutch is stuck or really even anything else about it.

The real question is what she wants to get out of it money wise and whether you want to take on a potential project of getting it back in running condition? It's only going to get worse sitting there not being operated.

/ 240D for sale #15  
Why? I think more likely cranking it with a monster battery would start it like it ran yesterday. 4 years down shouldn't hurt anything.

Use the compression release for initial cranking in case there is water in the cylinders. I see a bucket over the exhaust so that shouldn't be a problem. It does apparently need a replacement muffler, $100.

I would check the fuel bowl for water first and after running a little, and the obvious oil and water checks. There's not much on these that would prevent starting.
I definitely would turn it over by hand from the flywheel before putting a big battery on it. It is a common issue for Yanmar injection pump plungers to stick after setting up for a while.

/ 240D for sale
Along with the D240 was a backblade, cute little disk and a rather large three-point mower. Seemed to large for this 24hp tractor.

/ 240D for sale #17  
Going by the specs at tractordata, my 226d might be slightly heavier, but the PTO HP is very similar to the 240d. I can cut with a 5' rotary cutter pretty comfortably, but not a 6'. And I've tried it. The 6' is too heavy and too wide, IMO.

My box blade is slightly over 5'. I run out of traction going up hill since mine is 2wd. A 4wd tractor would do much better.

The good thing about this size tractor is that they are easier to haul on a trailer than larger tractors, but they aren't 50 HP 5,000 lb tractors, either.

A lot of buyers would just pass on a machine like this because it's sitting in the weeds and they have no idea what a Yanmar is. That to me indicates that the sales price would be lower than a tractor that has been kept inside and is in known running condition.

To me, it's a question of what condition it is really in and what the price would be assuming that you can do any repairs yourself. If you start having to pay someone else to get it in operating condition or if there is some serious issue, that can ruin the deal pretty quickly.

The odds of finding a loader aren't good. And I have no idea what it would take to add a third function for a grapple even if you found a loader. Plus, the lifting capacity would be limited with a tractor of this size practically speaking.

/ 240D for sale #18  
Along with the D240 was a backblade, cute little disk and a rather large three-point mower. Seemed to large for this 24hp tractor.
"Cute little disc" is about right. My YM240 came with a 5 ft disc that the prior owner said was too big for it, one reason he sold after owning both for less than a year and trying to disc a flood-irrigated walnut orchard. He lacked traction. I found on hard dry ground I can't pull that disc at a practical speed. It works great going over ground along a fence line, that had previously been disced by a larger tractor every year. (Photo below). The little 4 ft disc that came with my YM186D feels about right for either tractor for breaking ground - after its mowed.

Likewise the 5 ft box blade I bought for the YM240 to grade my driveway is too big. The dealer tried to convince me 4 ft was all it could pull. Yep. I couldn't pull a box of gravel, over gravel already in place, no traction. These rice paddy design tractors aren't heavy. Both those 5 ft implements were designed for Ford 8N with the same rated hp but a half ton heavier.

Mower? I bought a 4 ft rotary mower but wish I had gone 5 ft. No doubt it could run that.

And the Yanmar-Japan rototiller that was sold over there with nearly all YM2000's is a perfect match, it's 55 inches. Works great.

If you have the opportunity to buy it, I wouldn't go ahead before spending a half day tinkering to verify its in good working condition. But at least my experience with one in similar neglected condition, turned out to be nothing more than cosmetic.

Some photos I've posted here previously.

p1520644rdiscboundary-jpg.132467

First trial run of the tiller. 540 rpm, then 1000 rpm that made fine powder. (This Japanese tiller is designed to run that fast).
p-1-1060296rtillerhiloexamp-jpg.120185

Gamble that turned out ok: $3900 in 2003. Ain't she purty? :D
586044-dscn5078r-jpg.33717

4 ft mower in high wet grass, it runs at a good speed.
906632-p1000832rmowing-jpg.56478

Last edited:
   / 240D for sale #19  
I never thought of the 226d or 240d as a rice paddy sized tractor compared to the actual refurbished rice paddy tractors that were imported into the US in later years. Some think of the rice paddy imports and don't realize that Yanmar actually sold models intended for the US market back in the 1980s.

Another thing that holds down the value is the 240d was made from 1977-1981 according to tractordata. So this tractor should be at least 42 years old at this point.

Last edited:
   / 240D for sale #20  
I never thought of the 226d or 240d as a rice paddy sized tractor compared to the actual refurbished rice paddy tractors that were imported into the US in later years. Some think of the rice paddy imports and don't realize that Yanmar actually sold models intended for the US market back in the 1980s.
Yes, YM240 is just the Japan-market YM2000 with a couple of mods to conform to US safety specs:

Added some monkey-motion in the throttle linkage so 'pull' is slow instead of fast. Overrun clutch inside the PTO module and 540/1000 in place of Japan's 3 speeds, 540/750?/1100??

And the one in Arly's photo above has the external air cleaner used only in the final year, 1981, by Yanmar-USA a couple of years after YM2000 was discontinued in Japan.

Rice paddy tractor: I copied this photo off Yanmar-Japan's official website in 2004. Apparently they're promoted as capable of running half submerged. :eek:
yanmarinternationalphoto2004-jpg.497435