25 Acres worth buying hay equipment?

/ 25 Acres worth buying hay equipment? #31  
"here" you'd be 15k CDN minimum just for a serviceable discbine and round baler and old rolabar rake....and that stuff would break down so you'd need to work on it yourself.

Disc-moco are cheap used here compared to straight mower.

100k CDN would get you all new basic round baler (70k), 8 foot disc mower (15k) and rotary rake (15k). Yes I have been pricing.

Wheel and bar rakes are pretty simple and pretty reliable, just grease them regularly and don't go so fast that the teeth/wheels bounce up and down and smack the ground and they will last a long time unless you got a real rinky-dink wheel rake. Dinky wheel rakes like to break welds on the arms. A NH Rolabar rake or a Deere bar rake of the same vintage are actually quite reliable pieces of equipment.

Beaten-up used Discbines or disc MoCos are cheap because they are beaten up and require expensive major repairs like rebuilding a grenaded or rusted-through gear bed or replacing the rubber on the conditioner rollers. A disc mower-conditioner in serviceable condition at least in this area (a lot farther south than Canada) costs noticeably more than a regular disc mower.

/ 25 Acres worth buying hay equipment? #32  
Wheel and bar rakes are pretty simple and pretty reliable, just grease them regularly and don't go so fast that the teeth/wheels bounce up and down and smack the ground and they will last a long time unless you got a real rinky-dink wheel rake. Dinky wheel rakes like to break welds on the arms. A NH Rolabar rake or a Deere bar rake of the same vintage are actually quite reliable pieces of equipment.

Beaten-up used Discbines or disc MoCos are cheap because they are beaten up and require expensive major repairs like rebuilding a grenaded or rusted-through gear bed or replacing the rubber on the conditioner rollers. A disc mower-conditioner in serviceable condition at least in this area (a lot farther south than Canada) costs noticeably more than a regular disc mower.

I'm running an 80s era 256, was a year old when it came to the farm. Only had couple u joints, set of pawls and many tines over the years. Still has original rubber and some original tines left. 8' 6" at a time is the bottleneck right now. Debating on whether to get a bridge hitch and run two or just upgrade to a rotary rake.

I think here the reason used discmower conditioners can be had cheap is for exactly what you mentioned, they are ready to blow up and have already had almost all the life used up.

/ 25 Acres worth buying hay equipment? #33  

Mmmm I have a wheel rake. Wheels are far from “dinky”. Arms are strong box beams. Mines real solid.

1704662134522.jpeg

/ 25 Acres worth buying hay equipment? #34  
Mmmm I have a wheel rake. Wheels are far from “dinky”. Arms are strong box beams. Mines real solid.

There are good wheel rakes and dinky wheel rakes. The dinky ones like to break welds, the good ones don't. I have used the 10 wheel version of your rake and it's not a dinky one.

/ 25 Acres worth buying hay equipment? #35  
You have a lot of good advice so far.

I would be surprised to find anyone who breaks even with a 25 acre operation. So, plan to lose money along with having to repair the stuff you can buy at an "affordable" price. And stuff breaks when you need it!! If you are good at fixing things and enjoy doing it, it helps a lot.

I am weird. I do things for three reasons. The first is I need to get things done; the second saving money; the last is making a profit. I do not need to work to have fun, but some people do.

You need to figure out what "turns your crank"...what matters to you.

One good point in another post...the money tied up is not wasted if it does not work out for you. Most used equipment holds value and if haying does not work out for you, you can sell the stuff without losing a lot.

If you have a significant other, the risks/rewards and understanding the "harsh reality" avoids future headaches and quarrels. I did that when I made the investment to try a side business selling firewood. Our downsides were a loss of $10k, vs a profit of $7k/year.

/ 25 Acres worth buying hay equipment? #36  
OP: you work hard in the oil fields, & return to an exciting adventure of land ownership.
i'd be asking myself how do i really want to involve myself with the land on your well earned time off.
i suggest to take your time before investing heavily in the hay trade. lease your hay fields, focus on the many new tasks at hand in land ownership then decide.

on the other hand, if you are interested in hay production, & looking for an excuse or justification to jump into the hay equip, then by all means, follow the bliss. remembering, of course, how that equip investment could be used elsewhere in your new land adventure.
btw, imho your tractor is one of the best of K utility series, & pre tier 4 too boot.
good luck w/your decisions

Last edited:
   / 25 Acres worth buying hay equipment? #37  
You have a lot of good advice so far.

I would be surprised to find anyone who breaks even with a 25 acre operation. So, plan to lose money along with having to repair the stuff you can buy at an "affordable" price. And stuff breaks when you need it!! If you are good at fixing things and enjoy doing it, it helps a lot.

I am weird. I do things for three reasons. The first is I need to get things done; the second saving money; the last is making a profit. I do not need to work to have fun, but some people do.

You need to figure out what "turns your crank"...what matters to you.

One good point in another post...the money tied up is not wasted if it does not work out for you. Most used equipment holds value and if haying does not work out for you, you can sell the stuff without losing a lot.

If you have a significant other, the risks/rewards and understanding the "harsh reality" avoids future headaches and quarrels. I did that when I made the investment to try a side business selling firewood. Our downsides were a loss of $10k, vs a profit of $7k/year.

Good points there.
I farm about 600 acres of hay now and profits are too slim to provide for family and the “good life”. Have to do extensive “off-farm” work to make a nice living.
Even if you were given your farm equipment for free, I kind of think 25 acres would still lose money, unless it was like an exotic alfalfa

Last edited:
   / 25 Acres worth buying hay equipment? #38  
agree on that, as one who's observed hay production in the Ozarks for 45 yrs. but the OP may have hay fever: the only cure of which is equip purchase. i've been there a few times myself in other ways

/ 25 Acres worth buying hay equipment? #39  
It’s an “addictive” process. It does get into your blood and can cause you to make ”unprofitable” decisions.

/ 25 Acres worth buying hay equipment? #40  
If not, I’m sure there is some local guy like me who would be interested in the field if it’s in hay production.

This is what I did, find guy close that's bailing hay and strike up a conversation. Keeps me in ag exemption at the house, field maintained and I don't have to add equipment hauling to the list of things to do.