2520 Power Beyond

/ 2520 Power Beyond #1  

Squeaky122

Tractor
'07 2520 John Deere
Hello All,

I have recently in the last year bought a used 2520. I definitely love it. beats doing everything by hand previously. But after a full year around my acreage I have been finding that I want to expand my horizons in terms of attachments. It has a factory installed loader, but no other upgrades. My local dealer says that the Power Beyond Kit is discontinued. I have done a bit of searching online and for the most it tries to just kick me back to John Deere websites. My ultimate goal would be to have third function with at least 1 rear function as well.

Question 1: Where is a known good website that you guys trust that would have the kit?
Question 2: Is it possible to buy some hoses and fittings and do it myself, adding a power beyond set of hoses doesn't seem too complicated?
Question 3: What are your experienced recommendations for the setup itself, adding a dual front/rear manifold style or... what?

I am definitely new to this line of thinking.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

/ 2520 Power Beyond #2  
You can certainly do it yourself with aftermarket valves.

But the rears are more than just hoses. You NEED a valve to control rear remotes.

The front can either be a 3rd function or a diverter.

Whatever valve you use for the rear has to be power beyond capable. Meaning it takes 3 hoses just to plumb the valve.....then an additional two to go to the rear remote couplers.

/ 2520 Power Beyond #3  
For my JD650 back in the day, no power beyond kit was offered. I designed my own, and it "worked"*. When I found the incompatibility, I was able to correct it with a valve change. *I had intended to use the power beyond to run a three point log splitter, so I used a log splitter valve. It worked so so for splitting logs, but I alarmingly found that when I raised the loader to the top, the valve would kick out by itself, and the loader would drop!!! So I contacted the valve manufacturer, and they said to swap it for a valve with no kick out function. That worked safely and just fine, other than having to power back the splitter cylinder every time. Then I hoooked up a dump trailer, but it would not lift - hmmmm... I looked around the valve, and noticed an adjustable pressure relief screw. I measured the system pressures, 2500 PSI or so from the tractor, 1000 from the valve! I adjusted up the screw to the 2500. The trailer dumped like a champ, and now the log splitter worked awesome! That system worked perfectly for twenty years, until I lost that nice tractor in a fire.

When I bought my brand new 1025R, I ordered the JD power beyond kit with it. The kit came separately after the tractor (covid). I had a choice of kits, either just power with no valve (for a backhoe), or power with a valve. I chose the valve included kit, as I temporarily lacked the facility to fab up a valve installation. The kit was silly expensive, coming with lines and other parts which were not used. And, it was very carelessly packaged by JD - everything just dumped into a box, no caps on the lines. It required a total disassembly of the right floor, and whole rear fender to install, instructions were so so. But I did it, and it works really well.

You can certainly make up your own power beyond, but it's going to require some research and design. When you find the path to do it, spend the extra, and install a double valve for two beyond hydraulic circuits - you'll be happy you did. It was not an option for my tractor (I asked), so I settled, but had I taken the time to build my own, I would have built a two circuit system.