276d stub axle breaking

/ 276d stub axle breaking #1  

kempryan28

Tractor
Yanmar YM 276D
Hi gents,

I’m having issues breaking my front left stub axle. I am on my third one in 1.5 years. It’s getting old dropping 350 on a repair every time. Admittedly it is when I have a load in the bucket but after the first one I have began to be more careful and it keeps happening. Yesterday it snapped off with a load of snow in the front bucket… certainly not so heavy it should have broken again.

Is there anything I should be looking at that may be out of alignment? Tow, camber, ballast weights etc?

I did have the tire ballast removed from my left rear when I got a flat a few years back. I did this so I could get the tire off and to a shop easier for repair when flats occur or anything else. Would that be doing it? I have countered this by making sure I have a heavy implement off the three point when using the bucket… Ie during the summer I have the box blade off the back and during the winter I have a snowblower on.

Any help would be appreciated I sure am tired of replacing stubs. Thank you.

/ 276d stub axle breaking
FYI it is a 4 wheel drive capable tractor and it does usually snap when I have the 4wd engaged. I have noticed when my 4wd is on not all 4 tires are spinning. Is that normal as well.

/ 276d stub axle breaking #3  
Are your front wheels installed properly or did someone spin them to increase overall width. Doing that can overload the axles.

From what I can tell they appear to be installed properly. Or at least when repairing the stubs the parts are all in line with the diagrams I have found on hoye. What would I look for if a prior owner had modified it?

/ 276d stub axle breaking #5  
Does it snap wheel or inside is it
Held on by a nut snap ring
Does it have a front diff lock ?

Snaps right where the center meets the hub, See photo of axle.

There are snap rings involved but if I remember right from my last install the top silver piece in the photo threads on last to hold everything together. Here is a parts diagram photo as well and link to hoye to determine what is what.

It does have a differential lock.

Attachments

• 33D5227A-8B98-4EC2-8C5E-C75954C6C5C4.jpeg
    33D5227A-8B98-4EC2-8C5E-C75954C6C5C4.jpeg
    648.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 9C45D659-4DC0-4626-9A23-E333C0000FED.png
    9C45D659-4DC0-4626-9A23-E333C0000FED.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 41
   / 276d stub axle breaking #7  
Three in a year and a half is excessive. I suspect that you have an underlying issue that is causing the problem.

I would suspect something is wrong in the 4WD set up, unless you drive on pavement or other hard surfaces with 4WD engaged.

Are your tires the correct sizes for your tractor? Is the differential lock on or off? How sure are you that it is off? Is there a chance that the front or rear differential could have been replace with a different gear set?

All the best,

Peter

/ 276d stub axle breaking #8  
how sharp is the corner that it's breaking on?

Three in a year and a half is excessive. I suspect that you have an underlying issue that is causing the problem.

I would suspect something is wrong in the 4WD set up, unless you drive on pavement or other hard surfaces with 4WD engaged.

Are your tires the correct sizes for your tractor? Is the differential lock on or off? How sure are you that it is off? Is there a chance that the front or rear differential could have been replace with a different gear set?

All the best,

Peter
The tire sizes are stock and correct.

I drive with 4wd mostly on idaho dirt in the summer mix between packed and loose then ice/snow in the winter.

I hardly ever use the diff loc. it is the pedal under my right side of the seat that I can engage with my heel correct? Honestly I never knew that is what the function of that was until about 6 months ago and even now when I get stuck on bumps and no wheels touching the ground have drive I forget about that function 9/10 times and just back up and go over the bumps at a different angle to solve the problem. How would I be sure that is was unlocked?

Does it snap wheel or inside is it
Held on by a nut snap ring
Does it have a front diff lock ?
Sorry forgot to reply to you and instead answered your questions in the thread below.