2WD GMC 2500HD

/ 2WD GMC 2500HD #1  

WVH1977

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 2860M Cab, New Holland TC40, Hitachi EX100, Gravely Pro-Turn 152
Hello all,

I am looking at potentially buying a 2005 2WD GMC 2500HD. I will be using to pull my TC40 and hauling things from Lowes, etc. I have always owned 4WD trucks and I am worried/paranoid I will be making a mistake buying a 2WD. It handles great and has the Duramax with plenty of power. I am just worried about getting stuck in wet grass. I don't plan on any off-road excursions with this truck.

Any opinions on 2WD Trucks?

Thanks

/ 2WD GMC 2500HD #2  
I'm sure there is a regional aspect to consider (I'm located in Michigan where we get snow).

A while back, I was at my local Ford dealer getting some service work done and I walked around the lot and noticed no 2WD trucks. I asked the owner of the dealership, who is also a friend of mine, why only 4WD trucks on the lot. He told me in the previous year, they only sold two 2WD trucks.

So, if you needed to sell that 2WD truck, it could be a hard sell.

/ 2WD GMC 2500HD #3  
Manual or slush box? If it's a slusher, is it an Allison or a Turbo-Hydro. If it a TH, I'd be more worried about the tranny than the engine. If it was mine, first thing I'd do is drop the pan and have a look see to see how much clutch material is in the pan and / or if the fluid stinks. If it does and you have clutch material in the pan, better get it to a competent trans shop, it's on borrowed time.

/ 2WD GMC 2500HD #4  
Manual or slush box? If it's a slusher, is it an Allison or a Turbo-Hydro. If it a TH, I'd be more worried about the tranny than the engine. If it was mine, first thing I'd do is drop the pan and have a look see to see how much clutch material is in the pan and / or if the fluid stinks. If it does and you have clutch material in the pan, better get it to a competent trans shop, it's on borrowed time.

Wasn’t the Allison the only auto behind a duramax?

/ 2WD GMC 2500HD #5  
Do you drive in pastures a lot? The front end heavier diesels could get bogged down in a pasture and have a problem needing 4x4 to get out.

Ive never had a 4x4 vehicle. Only been stuck one time. Used my winch to get out. Most people I know with 4x4 that get stuck can’t get out with their winch. Go figure.

/ 2WD GMC 2500HD #6  
Around here in the hills a 2WD truck is nearly useless. People buy them and use them in flatter areas.

/ 2WD GMC 2500HD #7  
It is nice to have the 4WD option. When pulling out or backing up a trailer in wet grass I occasionally have to shift into 4WD because of tire spin in 2WD. I have used 4WD in muddy parking lots at horse shows or across a pasture. Last 2WD pickup we had was a 1995 GMC 1500 with the 6.5 diesel, probably will never have another 2WD pickup.

/ 2WD GMC 2500HD #8  
Put all terrain tires on the truck and u won’t get stuck in wet grass.

/ 2WD GMC 2500HD #9  
2005 Duramax would be mated to the 5 speed Allison.

/ 2WD GMC 2500HD #10  
Dmax's are all Allison transmissions.

As far as 2wd, I wouldn't do that unless you are in a dry, flat area. Plus the resale can be tough on them.